Teen Virginity Pledges Work? - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2008, 07:25 PM   #61
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:21 AM
TIME sticks by their story, sort of:
[q]by Kathleen Kingsbury, Jun. 23

After a controversy erupted in late May over a proposal to distribute contraceptives at Gloucester High School, principal Dr. Joseph Sullivan said he was surprised no reporter had approached him for his take on the matter. If they had, Sullivan told TIME on June 11, he'd have explained straightaway that "a lack of birth control played no part" in a quadrupling of the number of teen pregnancies at the school this year compared with last. "That bump was because of seven or eight sophomore girls," Sullivan told TIME. "They made a pact to get pregnant and raise their babies together."

Since TIME first wrote last week of this "pact," as Sullivan called it, a media firestorm has hit this seaside town on Massachusetts' north shore. News outlets from as far away as Australia and Brazil have been quick to home in on the more salacious details surrounding these young mothers-to-be. But at a press conference today, Gloucester Mayor Carolyn Kirk emerged from a closed-door meeting with city, school and health officials to say that there had been no independent confirmation of any teen pregnancy pact. She also said that the principal, who was not present at the meeting, is now "foggy in his memory" of how he heard about the pact.

Sullivan has not spoken publicly about the teen pregnancies since he told TIME earlier this month that several girls repeatedly requested pregnancy tests at the school clinic and that some had reacted to positive test results with high fives and plans for baby showers. Pathways for Children CEO Sue Todd, whose organization runs the school's on-site daycare center, told TIME on June 13 that its social worker had heard of the girls' plan to get pregnant as early as last fall. She noted that some of the girls involved had been identified as being at risk of becoming teen mothers as early as sixth grade, when they began to request pregnancy tests in middle school. "What we've seen is the girls fit a certain profile," Todd said. "They're socially isolated, and they don't have the support of their families."

On June 11, the mayor and the schools superintendent Christopher Farmer said that some of the sophomores at Gloucester High appeared to be getting pregnant on purpose. Farmer said today he now believes that some of the girls who were already pregnant decided to band together to stay in school and raise their babies together. He added that if he had known of the pact as described by Sullivan, there would have been a school-wide intervention earlier.

None of the rising juniors TIME identified as being members of the pact have come forward publicly, but nine Gloucester High students have talked to TIME about the girls who decided to get pregnant. Some described the pregnant teens as having little parental supervision. "They could stay out all night if they wanted," says classmate Allie McCarthy. Others noted a herd mentality. "I think the plan was a lot about peer pressure," says Nicole Jewell, a rising junior who describes herself as being friends with some of the girls involved. "But a lot of girls were excited to be a part of it."

So did the girls make a formal pact to get pregnant together or not? Without comment from any of the pregnant students themselves, it may be impossible to determine exactly what they agreed to, and when. So far, the only school official to use the word "pact" is Sullivan, who reportedly now says he does not recall who told him about the pact in the first place. But what does seem clear based on TIME's reporting is that some of the girls in question did at least discuss the idea of getting pregnant at the same time, and that too little was done to educate the girls on the potential ramifications of that choice.[/q]

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:13 PM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Actually...

She (the mayor) said none of the school's health workers who deal with the girls on a daily basis had heard any mention of a pact. Instead, she attributed the pregnancies to a lack of funding for health education because of increased spending needed to meet federally mandated standards known as No Child Left Behind.

She also blamed the media's "glamorization of pregnancy" and "movies that depicted teen pregnancy as something to be desired."

She mentioned by name Jamie Lynn Spears, the 17-year-old sister of pop singer Britney Spears, who delivered a baby this weekend, and alluded to the recent hit film "Juno," a comedy about a teenager who becomes pregnant.
That is so ridiculous to blame the media on teen pregnancy. I doubt any rational teenage girl who saw "Juno" decided to do the same thing, because it looked "cool".

I think the mayor has a point over the lack of health education. It's been proven time and again that sex ed classes that teach safe sex and contraception are more effective than those that teach abstinence only. But Bush and company wanted to force his beliefs on people, so now the teen pregnancy rate appears to be going up.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:32 PM   #63
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Fucked up.

yes, that was one of the more deranged tangents i think i've ever participated in.

apologies offered, all around.

carry on, folks.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:25 PM   #64
She's the One

Local Time: 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
yes, that was one of the more deranged tangents i think i've ever participated in.

apologies offered, all around.

carry on, folks.

It was the best thing I read in FYM all day.

Of course, I have no idea who President Palmer is.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:11 AM   #65
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
It was the best thing I read in FYM all day.

Of course, I have no idea who President Palmer is.

would it be tasteless if i started selling t-shirts that read, "I DID IT FOR JODIE!"
Old 06-24-2008, 12:21 AM   #66
She's the One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
would it be tasteless if i started selling t-shirts that read, "I DID IT FOR JODIE!"
Yes.

Plus, you would go to hell for it.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:43 AM   #67
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Heaven In Alberta, Where We Got All Hell For A Basement..
Local Time: 02:21 AM
i know this is really late in the thread, and most of you people do not take me seriously, but im a teenager. I live and work around teenagers. No, a teen "virginity pledge" does not work for a lot of people. I know this because i took one. And ya it does not work for a lot of people. I always said as a young child and early teens (till around i was 15, when i found out these "boys" where) i would wait till i found the right one. Sex is sex and if you are going to do it as a teen A do it right B Protect your self. I know so many people who have just threw it away, at a party like my one friend...doesn't even talk to the guy anymore. About me im so happy i lost it to who i did, he's my best friend. I do not regret it. I have one Christan friend who just freak out on me, she's making me come up to where she lives and repent my sins. I'm not going, I'm happy with where god stands in my life. And i have no guilt. Ya i screw up, im human, but I'm not going to take some "new virgin" crap that by October will be long gone. It's not who i am. And i am no slut, whore or what ever. I just choose the road with what life gives me.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:06 AM   #68
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Do marriage vows work?

Saving sex for adulthood, like marriage fidelity, is a laudable goal and certainly much more obtainable when the culture generally supports -- rather than scoffs at, tempts or tries to lead astray -- those attempting to achieve that goal.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:38 AM   #69
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Do marriage vows work?

Only about 50% of the time. Even with the other 50% there's no guarantee the spouses are taking them seriously.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:52 AM   #70
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by love_u2_adam View Post
i know this is really late in the thread, and most of you people do not take me seriously, but im a teenager. I live and work around teenagers. No, a teen "virginity pledge" does not work for a lot of people. I know this because i took one. And ya it does not work for a lot of people. I always said as a young child and early teens (till around i was 15, when i found out these "boys" where) i would wait till i found the right one. Sex is sex and if you are going to do it as a teen A do it right B Protect your self. I know so many people who have just threw it away, at a party like my one friend...doesn't even talk to the guy anymore. About me im so happy i lost it to who i did, he's my best friend. I do not regret it. I have one Christan friend who just freak out on me, she's making me come up to where she lives and repent my sins. I'm not going, I'm happy with where god stands in my life. And i have no guilt. Ya i screw up, im human, but I'm not going to take some "new virgin" crap that by October will be long gone. It's not who i am. And i am no slut, whore or what ever. I just choose the road with what life gives me.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:07 AM   #71
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Do marriage vows work?

Saving sex for adulthood, like marriage fidelity, is a laudable goal and certainly much more obtainable when the culture generally supports -- rather than scoffs at, tempts or tries to lead astray -- those attempting to achieve that goal.
They may work a bit of the time but the fidelity element is junked, between divorces and affairs the myth of us being hardwired for monogamy doesn't stand up very well.

We are all the product of a long chain of successful sexual reproducers, the marital circumstances of how that DNA comes together is irrelevent, adulterers will always spread their information into the gene pool and that mating strategy will continue to be a viable option.

Although from a more social standpoint I think that it is unrealistic to have expectations of long term happy monogamy without experienced partners with mutual recognition of what makes that relationship solid. Thats just my opinion, I would never want to legislate against consenting partners marrying because they don't fulfil my criteria.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:19 AM   #72
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Do marriage vows work?

not about 50% of the time.

Quote:

how do you measure whether or not the culture "generally supports" waiting or not? and why is it that some get irritated whenever the culture "generally supports" some things -- tolerance, multicultralism, alternative families -- and yet would happily use the "culture" to send whatever message they feel affirms them if they could?

you do realize, though, that these "cultural messages" -- whether in music, fashion, television, or film -- are designed to increase revenue, right? no one sits in Beverly Hills and has a plan to try to make it more okay for teenagers to have sex. what happens is that executives know that kids eat up shows that feature kids talking about sex (and even sometimes having it) and this then holds great appeal for advertisers who are panting for that hugely desirable Demo.

if that Demo demands sexy characters, they are going to get their sexy characters.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:39 PM   #73
She's the One

Quote:
Do marriage vows work?
Yes, when given by adults who understand what they're saying, know what the alternatives are, and have still decided to make the vows. Even then the vows of marriage can be difficult to keep by adults. When children are told that all they need to avoid something is to make a vow, and they don't have any knowledge about what the alternatives are, and what to do if they can't keep that vow, then that's a problem.

Quote:
I agree. When fifth grade girls are wearing sweatpants with suggestive words across the ass, we've got a problem. But these girls are not raising themselves. There are parents somewhere, buying those pants. Are these the same parents who think these girls will remain virgins if they only just promise to? If so, I hope the parents are prepared to be grandparents earlier than they thought.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:23 PM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer View Post
They may work a bit of the time but the fidelity element is junked, between divorces and affairs the myth of us being hardwired for monogamy doesn't stand up very well.

We are all the product of a long chain of successful sexual reproducers, the marital circumstances of how that DNA comes together is irrelevent, adulterers will always spread their information into the gene pool and that mating strategy will continue to be a viable option.

Although from a more social standpoint I think that it is unrealistic to have expectations of long term happy monogamy without experienced partners with mutual recognition of what makes that relationship solid. Thats just my opinion, I would never want to legislate against consenting partners marrying because they don't fulfil my criteria.
If any person can show just cause why they may not be joined together – let them speak now or forever hold their peace.

"Stop, stop !! Monogamy is not supported by DNA !! Human behavior is at the mercy of our genes !! Marital fidelity is a fantasy !!
Old 06-24-2008, 08:14 PM   #75
ONE
love, blood, life

How about there is a decent chance of infidelity and divorce but that shouldn't stop people going through the motions.