Teen Commits Suicide Live Online - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2008, 05:10 PM   #16
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:42 PM
It's not entirely true that 'no one did anything,' and certainly not that 'everyone encouraged him'--several viewers tried to talk him out of it, and the only reason the police eventually arrived (too late) was because someone finally contacted a moderator at the bodybuilding forum, who tracked down his location and alerted the authorities. He'd apparently made numerous suicide threats on that site before, which, tragically, may have led some viewers to wrongly conclude that they need not take 'this time' seriously. It is pathetic that apparently quite a few people watched for hours before anyone took steps to contact site management or authorities, which of course should've been done right away regardless of whether they were sure he was serious, and also that some of them actually typed out reactions they should've kept to themselves. Still, I can understand to a point why some of said reactions were angry and caustic--this particular way of going about it manages to be as offensive as it is tragic... "F*** you all, it's been miserable living among you, and now I'm going to make you a helpless party to my death." While it's pointless and wrong to take offense at someone in that state of mind--it's a time to act, not react--I do think it's a fairly natural response.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:58 PM   #17
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:42 PM
Faking suicide/suicide attempts online has become so common that there's a term for it: Urban Dictionary: pseuicide

People are cynical, and in most cases, rightly so, thank goodness. Unfortunately, that leads to real attempts not being taken seriously, as in this case.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:01 PM   #18
War Child

Local Time: 05:42 PM
Teenagers today.

They're going from bad to worse.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:50 AM   #19
Loungeroom Dancing Queen

Local Time: 07:42 AM
^ are you trying to be inflammatory? I don't really think teenagers are any worse than they were a generation or two ago . . . their outlets, mode of communication and idealogies are just a little different than a few generations ago . . . anyways back to topic

this story of this poor kid ending it all on line is beyond sad and my thoughts and prayers go out to his poor tormented family - the hell they must be going through - i hope the awful people who tuned in are taking a good hard look at themselves too
Old 11-23-2008, 08:58 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

i hope the people that tuned in have a hard time sleeping at night as they very well should and frankly deserve it. IMO.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:02 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
Yeah I can't believe not even one of those people had the sense to report it! Instead, they dared him and called him a faggot? Fucking assholes!
Couldn't someone pick up a phone? Morbid people.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:20 PM   #22
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 03:42 PM
i've heard about this before, i remember a couple years ago someone committed suicide while in a chat, i don't remember any specifics but the last words they typed in the chat were "i told u i was hardcore" - in that case someone again tracked down the authorities. but still, it's sad. suicide certainly is not anything new, but it's become more public, i guess you could say, now that people can display it online for everyone to see. i guess all i can say is thankfully in any instance i've heard, there has been some good people out there who try to track down parents or the police, instead of watching and teasing.

i feel for anyone who wants to attempt suicide though, whatever their reasons. to be at such a low point in your life to take your life is heartbreaking to me.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:28 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

This was a teenager with mental health issues, the fact he killed himself online is what got him in the papers, but it's really not that remarkable of a story. He'd probably have attempted suicide with or without the internet.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:50 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I think what makes this story a story, is that there were some people encouraging him to do it. To me. that is more disturbing than him committing suicide.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:21 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
but it's become more public, i guess you could say, now that people can display it online for everyone to see.
I wouldn't say so. It's another form of making it public, but at its roots it's not all that different from someone jumping from a building or before any kind of driving vehicle or whatever else people do.
The difference is rather the level of interaction. Here he spoke with people right until the moment, whereas for example someone who jumps from a building doesn't

It's sad that obviously no one realized the sincerity of the situation in time, or simply didn't care.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:31 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

This type of story just breaks my heart.
May he rest in peace, now.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:14 AM   #27
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 01:42 PM
This news is really disturbing. Committing suicide is a sad and selfish act in and of itself, but to do it publicly, online, in chat or via webcast LIVE is even sicker. What's this world coming to? I do hope this young man is at peace now.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:26 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carek1230 View Post
What's this world coming to?
I guess I will never understand this notion. To me it sounds as if this was a new development which didn't exist before, and suddenly society is becoming so bad. But in fact, such things have existed even before. Only in different ways as e.g. the internet wasn't available.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:15 AM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
I think what makes this story a story, is that there were some people encouraging him to do it. To me. that is more disturbing than him committing suicide.
Some people seem to check their humanity at the door on the internet-you spend enough time on it and that becomes very obvious. It's in varying degrees, but from my point of view it is possibly not such a long stretch from some of the behavior I've seen to something like this.