Teacher Tells Graduating Seniors: You Are Not Special - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:00 PM
Not sure if that first graph was adjusted for inflation, but the slope should be going the other way if it hasn't been. Not so bad that math and reading scores have remained constant when you take that into account

Old 06-15-2012, 09:50 PM   #47
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:00 PM
I'm not sure size does really matter in either case, so much as diversity. In that case, comparing the US to, say, Singapore is flawed, but not so much the US to the UK. In my experience with Texas, school performance tends to pretty directly correlate with parental economic status. Even with a well-funded school system, children of poorer parents are less likely to emotionally experience the fruits of education, but to resent the whole system... inequality is a big problem with schools. My state has some incredible public schools in suburbia (I was lucky enough to attend one), and many, many awful ones in urban and rural areas. It's pretty sad.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:33 PM   #48
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Not sure if that first graph was adjusted for inflation, but the slope should be going the other way if it hasn't been. Not so bad that math and reading scores have remained constant when you take that into account
There are a couple problems with the graphic but it was the only decent infographic I could find regarding drop-outs and stuff. There was a study (that I'll have to spend some time searching for) done that showed there is no correlation between money spent and quality of education so I wouldn't worry too much about that supposed statistic, inflation or not. We live in a really nice area with 3 of the best schools in the country, and the highest property taxes (property taxes go towards schooling) are $6,000 in the school district (aka school cost $6,000 max). Meanwhile, in my hometown with a terrible high school the taxes were $12,000. That's anecdotal but I don't really consider money spent per student.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:45 PM   #49
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500

Funny how you never raised this "size matters" argument in the healthcare debate. "It's much harder to educate 310m Americans than 10m Swedes" but providing single-payer universal health care for 310m Americans would never be an administrative, bureaucratic, fiscal nightmare.

But 310m Americans are guaranteed 12 years of public education.

I know you think poor people should sacrifice even more and they are responsible for your own personal crushing debt burden that you as a middle class white person are so oppressed by. Perhaps we should cut this too?