Teacher Fired For Fornication - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2010, 05:52 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:15 AM
Teacher Fired For Fornication

Well she could have lied about when she conceived. Honesty as a virtue vs having sex before marriage..hmmm. And if she wasn't pregnant how would they ever know she was having premarital sex- so ultimately the pregnancy is the real cause for termination, isn't it?

By Walter Pacheco, Orlando Sentinel

1:38 p.m. EDT, June 14, 2010

The teacher fired from a St. Cloud Christian school because she conceived a daughter out of wedlock never thought honesty would backfire, she said during a nationally televised interview this morning.

Jarretta Hamilton said administrators at the Southland Christian School in April 2009 had questioned her about when she had conceived and then fired her for "fornication" after she told them she had become pregnant before her marriage.

"I was absolutely shocked. It came out of nowhere," Hamilton told NBC's Today Show host Ann Curry. "I was honest about it. I didn't know it was going to cost me my job."

She filed a lawsuit against the school in U.S. District Court in Orlando.

This morning, Hamilton sat with her husband, Samuel Treftz, and their 8-month-old daughter, Sarah, during the interview at the show's New York studio.

When asked about her thoughts on working at a Christian school and its policy toward sexual relationships, Treftz said "if there was a contract in place that, you know, had a specific morality clause, I think that it would make a difference."

Hamilton added: "At least people would know what they're getting into…I didn't know they were going to judge so harshly."

A July 20, 2009, letter signed by school administrator Julie Ennis explains the reasons for firing Hamilton.

"Jarretta was asked not to return because of a moral issue that was disregarded, namely fornication, sex outside of marriage," the letter reads. "The employment application, which she filled out, clearly states that as a leader before our students we require all teachers to maintain and communicate the values and purpose of our school."

Their attorney, Edward Gay, who accompanied the couple during the interview, said school officials discriminated against Hamilton.

"These teachers are serving a secular purpose and, therefore, they are governed by the law of discrimination," Gay said.

In the complaint, Hamilton alleges her termination was based on the fact of her pregnancy and that the school offended her by disclosing the information to other school staffers and parents during the 2008-2009 school year.

Hamilton did not authorize the school to reveal that information, according to the complaint.

"When they let me go, they told the entire staff in a staff meeting that I had been fired," Hamilton said. "Then they called all the parents to my fourth-grade students and told them as well."

Hamilton said some parents called her and said "they were really upset about it and felt that my performance in the classroom was what mattered and not my personal life."

Old 06-14-2010, 06:36 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Hamilton said some parents called her and said "they were really upset about it and felt that my performance in the classroom was what mattered and not my personal life."
Wouldn't it be nice if the world thought more like those parents?

So, instead of lie, which is frowned upon by religious folks, she decided to be honest...and gets fired. If there wasn't anything specific in the requirements to be a teacher there, then that makes it even more stupid. And even if she did know, okay, but to fire her for it? Why is it any of the school's concern, really?

Angela

Old 06-14-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:15 PM

I hate employers sticking their noses into people's private lives.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:03 PM   #4
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Why was she asked in the first place?
Old 06-14-2010, 07:15 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:15 AM
Ridiculous. This is why I think Christianity gets a bad name, because some people would think its all about judging others rather than forgiving (something Jesus made a huge emphasis on) plus obsessing over morals while there are others things to worry about, such as poverty and such.

Also, why are they so upset that she had sex before marriage? So many people do that these days, even those who say they are Christian. Plus, shouldn't this school be happy that she at least gave birth inside of wedlock?
Old 06-14-2010, 07:27 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

She might win, since she didn't have a spelled-our morality clause in her contract - not to mention the fact that the school blatantly violated her privacy by not only asking when she conceived, but blabbing the reason why she was fired to everyone.

I hope she gets a huge settlement from those judgmental assholes.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:55 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:15 AM
She does not deserve one penny.

She joined an opt-in club.

St. Cloud Christian school

So she has to play by their rules, however they want to make them up.

If she took a job at a Mexican Restaurant and refused to serve tortillas
would she have grounds for a lawsuit?
Old 06-14-2010, 07:59 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

I guess she should done what many "good" middle-class white Christians do in this situation: have an abortion and pretend it never happened.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:07 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

I read in another article that the couple was asked exactly when she conceived. When asked this question one should always (unless asked by one's doctor or in some cases, one's lawyer) answer "it's none of your business, you slimy pervert!" and stalk out.

I do wonder how many of those parents who were so upset actually removed their kids from the school or demanded the teacher be rehired or the administration change in any way. I suspect there were none.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:29 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

I'm not sure on this one.

On one hand I agree with Deep. I'm not defending the supposed "morals", but generally when you sign on to work at these schools you do sign clauses on the contract that refer to certain moral and religious beliefs. Phil took a job teaching second grade at a fairly conservative private school (well, probably ultra-conservative to people on this forum, but more mildly conservative in our neck of the woods!) and his contract spelled out doctrine he could teach, even where our kids would have to go to school (we don't have any).

But on the other hand...
Quote:
the school blatantly violated her privacy by not only asking when she conceived, but blabbing the reason why she was fired to everyone.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:18 PM   #11
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTeeth View Post
I hate employers sticking their noses into people's private lives.
Get used to it. Many of the freedoms that people have are steadfastly being given over to their employers. Tea partiers and the like are whipping themselves into a frenzy over the misguided notion that the government is the greatest immediate threat to their individual freedoms. It isn't. The (U.S.) Constitution protects one's liberty from the government, but every year more and more court rulings are giving (especially corporate) employers more dominion over their employees lives.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:06 AM   #12
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post

Regardless, even private schools are not immune to privacy.

Quote:
A rather silly analogy.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:28 AM   #13
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckle View Post
Get used to it. Many of the freedoms that people have are steadfastly being given over to their employers. Tea partiers and the like are whipping themselves into a frenzy over the misguided notion that the government is the greatest immediate threat to their individual freedoms. It isn't. The (U.S.) Constitution protects one's liberty from the government, but every year more and more court rulings are giving (especially corporate) employers more dominion over their employees lives.
exactly. look at the waitress who lost her job for complaining about a bad tip on facebook, and the countless other interviewees for jobs who were not offered the position because they have a photo of themselves holding a plastic red cup. thanks to technology these days, it's very possible and likely to have a past indiscretion held over your head years later like some form of blackmail. and that's just for things said/done online. there's countless other ways to have your privacy invaded these days.

i do love technology (obviously), but in many ways it's all become a bit ridiculous over the things people get in trouble for. and of course, like you said, tea partiers getting upset that the government is infringing on their personal freedoms, when it's most likely that nosey nancy next door to your house or work cubicle that will.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:42 AM   #14
Refugee

Local Time: 04:15 PM
I read:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTeeth View Post
I hate employers sticking their noses into people's privates.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:47 AM   #15
Refugee

Local Time: 03:15 PM
Quote:

Deep....I'm going to shock the hell out of you.....I agree with you.

However I'm not sure about the Mexican restaurant analogy.

It's more like a Rabbi taking a job in a synagogue and then being seen driving on the Sabbath.

In any case, and privacy issues aside, I don't believe she has a case purely because of the nature of the place where she worked.