Teacher Fired For Fornication

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Well she could have lied about when she conceived. Honesty as a virtue vs having sex before marriage..hmmm. And if she wasn't pregnant how would they ever know she was having premarital sex- so ultimately the pregnancy is the real cause for termination, isn't it?

By Walter Pacheco, Orlando Sentinel

1:38 p.m. EDT, June 14, 2010

The teacher fired from a St. Cloud Christian school because she conceived a daughter out of wedlock never thought honesty would backfire, she said during a nationally televised interview this morning.

Jarretta Hamilton said administrators at the Southland Christian School in April 2009 had questioned her about when she had conceived and then fired her for "fornication" after she told them she had become pregnant before her marriage.

"I was absolutely shocked. It came out of nowhere," Hamilton told NBC's Today Show host Ann Curry. "I was honest about it. I didn't know it was going to cost me my job."

She filed a lawsuit against the school in U.S. District Court in Orlando.

This morning, Hamilton sat with her husband, Samuel Treftz, and their 8-month-old daughter, Sarah, during the interview at the show's New York studio.

When asked about her thoughts on working at a Christian school and its policy toward sexual relationships, Treftz said "if there was a contract in place that, you know, had a specific morality clause, I think that it would make a difference."

Hamilton added: "At least people would know what they're getting into…I didn't know they were going to judge so harshly."

A July 20, 2009, letter signed by school administrator Julie Ennis explains the reasons for firing Hamilton.

"Jarretta was asked not to return because of a moral issue that was disregarded, namely fornication, sex outside of marriage," the letter reads. "The employment application, which she filled out, clearly states that as a leader before our students we require all teachers to maintain and communicate the values and purpose of our school."

Their attorney, Edward Gay, who accompanied the couple during the interview, said school officials discriminated against Hamilton.

"These teachers are serving a secular purpose and, therefore, they are governed by the law of discrimination," Gay said.

In the complaint, Hamilton alleges her termination was based on the fact of her pregnancy and that the school offended her by disclosing the information to other school staffers and parents during the 2008-2009 school year.

Hamilton did not authorize the school to reveal that information, according to the complaint.

"When they let me go, they told the entire staff in a staff meeting that I had been fired," Hamilton said. "Then they called all the parents to my fourth-grade students and told them as well."

Hamilton said some parents called her and said "they were really upset about it and felt that my performance in the classroom was what mattered and not my personal life."

Hamilton said some parents called her and said "they were really upset about it and felt that my performance in the classroom was what mattered and not my personal life."

Wouldn't it be nice if the world thought more like those parents?

So, instead of lie, which is frowned upon by religious folks, she decided to be honest...and gets fired. If there wasn't anything specific in the requirements to be a teacher there, then that makes it even more stupid. And even if she did know, okay, but to fire her for it? Why is it any of the school's concern, really?

Angela

Ridiculous. This is why I think Christianity gets a bad name, because some people would think its all about judging others rather than forgiving (something Jesus made a huge emphasis on) plus obsessing over morals while there are others things to worry about, such as poverty and such.

Also, why are they so upset that she had sex before marriage? So many people do that these days, even those who say they are Christian. Plus, shouldn't this school be happy that she at least gave birth inside of wedlock?

She might win, since she didn't have a spelled-our morality clause in her contract - not to mention the fact that the school blatantly violated her privacy by not only asking when she conceived, but blabbing the reason why she was fired to everyone.

I hope she gets a huge settlement from those judgmental assholes.

She does not deserve one penny.

She joined an opt-in club.

St. Cloud Christian school

So she has to play by their rules, however they want to make them up.

If she took a job at a Mexican Restaurant and refused to serve tortillas
would she have grounds for a lawsuit?

I guess she should done what many "good" middle-class white Christians do in this situation: have an abortion and pretend it never happened.

I read in another article that the couple was asked exactly when she conceived. When asked this question one should always (unless asked by one's doctor or in some cases, one's lawyer) answer "it's none of your business, you slimy pervert!" and stalk out. :yes:

I do wonder how many of those parents who were so upset actually removed their kids from the school or demanded the teacher be rehired or the administration change in any way. I suspect there were none.

I'm not sure on this one.

On one hand I agree with Deep. I'm not defending the supposed "morals", but generally when you sign on to work at these schools you do sign clauses on the contract that refer to certain moral and religious beliefs. Phil took a job teaching second grade at a fairly conservative private school (well, probably ultra-conservative to people on this forum, but more mildly conservative in our neck of the woods!) and his contract spelled out doctrine he could teach, even where our kids would have to go to school (we don't have any).

But on the other hand...
the school blatantly violated her privacy by not only asking when she conceived, but blabbing the reason why she was fired to everyone.

I hate employers sticking their noses into people's private lives. :angry:

Get used to it. Many of the freedoms that people have are steadfastly being given over to their employers. Tea partiers and the like are whipping themselves into a frenzy over the misguided notion that the government is the greatest immediate threat to their individual freedoms. It isn't. The (U.S.) Constitution protects one's liberty from the government, but every year more and more court rulings are giving (especially corporate) employers more dominion over their employees lives.

Regardless, even private schools are not immune to privacy.

A rather silly analogy.

Get used to it. Many of the freedoms that people have are steadfastly being given over to their employers. Tea partiers and the like are whipping themselves into a frenzy over the misguided notion that the government is the greatest immediate threat to their individual freedoms. It isn't. The (U.S.) Constitution protects one's liberty from the government, but every year more and more court rulings are giving (especially corporate) employers more dominion over their employees lives.
:applaud: exactly. look at the waitress who lost her job for complaining about a bad tip on facebook, and the countless other interviewees for jobs who were not offered the position because they have a photo of themselves holding a plastic red cup. thanks to technology these days, it's very possible and likely to have a past indiscretion held over your head years later like some form of blackmail. and that's just for things said/done online. there's countless other ways to have your privacy invaded these days.

i do love technology (obviously), but in many ways it's all become a bit ridiculous over the things people get in trouble for. and of course, like you said, tea partiers getting upset that the government is infringing on their personal freedoms, when it's most likely that nosey nancy next door to your house or work cubicle that will.

Deep....I'm going to shock the hell out of you.....I agree with you.

However I'm not sure about the Mexican restaurant analogy.

It's more like a Rabbi taking a job in a synagogue and then being seen driving on the Sabbath.

In any case, and privacy issues aside, I don't believe she has a case purely because of the nature of the place where she worked.

the only way she has a case is if there was a known previous incident where the same standards weren't held.

otherwise i'm with deep... she's working at an uber-christian private school. it's their rules.

it will actually be interesting to see how this plays out... they say that a school does not have the same rules as the church as far as employment goes, but the school is run by the church. :hmm:

right, because fucking without having the government issued piece of paper is soooooo immoral. goddamn SINNERS. :down:

Absolute bullshit. There is a difference between refusing to teach christian lessons, or not adhering to the code of conduct at school, or even to the point of not being religious, or beliving in the school's religious ideas etc then to having a child out of wedlock. How does this impact on her teaching, or in fact her moral code, if that is in violation? This is her EMPLOYER, what sexual past she has has NO BEARING on her teaching, or her as a person. She had sex before se was married, had the child and married the father. What is wrong with this picture?

It seems to me that yet, once again, women are being punished for sexuality. If we have sex it must be as a married woman, on our backs, hating every moment of it, and only to conceive. Any deviance from this method we're suddenly being questioned about our moral code. Absolute bullshit.

the only way she has a case is if there was a known previous incident where the same standards weren't held.

otherwise i'm with deep... she's working at an uber-christian private school. it's their rules.

it will actually be interesting to see how this plays out... they say that a school does not have the same rules as the church as far as employment goes, but the school is run by the church. :hmm:

You can't have rules like that! Not for a job that has no bearing on it. I cannot believe a school would invade your privacy so much. I understand wanting to know if she was Christian, if she had an criminal records or unable to teach children, and THERE IS THE LINE. Nothing to do with your sexual past, or your sexual ideas etc comes into a classroom. it doesn't even flow past your mind. I don't have sex with my boyfriend before school and then turn up into the classroom going 'wehey i got laid kids!' etc

Maybe if she was a stripper, or former prostitute, i'd understand more, but to have had sex outside of marriage to her husband is not justifiable to fire someone. Ever.

Are you with Bin Laden and against Jesus?

Deep....I'm going to shock the hell out of you.....I agree with you.

this isn't directed at you personally, AchtungBono
but at any or all of us when we preface a post with something like,

"I am shocked to agree with (insert name here)"

We all put premises, opinions, and beliefs out here.

I like to support the ones that I believe are well reasoned and correct

and disagree with the ones I believe are wrong.
And it is a better discussion if I state my reasons. The person that puts forth the opinion,
should not invalidate the opinion if it is correct.

If BinLaden speaks out against Polanski drugging and raping a 13 year old girl anally, it does not pain me to agree with him.

If Jesus Christ speaks out in favor of stoning or slavery, it does not pain me to disagree with him.

So, are you with BinLaden and against Jesus?

Absolute bullshit. There is a difference between refusing to teach christian lessons, or not adhering to the code of conduct at school, or even to the point of not being religious, or beliving in the school's religious ideas etc then to having a child out of wedlock. How does this impact on her teaching, or in fact her moral code, if that is in violation? This is her EMPLOYER, what sexual past she has has NO BEARING on her teaching, or her as a person. She had sex before se was married, had the child and married the father. What is wrong with this picture?

It seems to me that yet, once again, women are being punished for sexuality. If we have sex it must be as a married woman, on our backs, hating every moment of it, and only to conceive. Any deviance from this method we're suddenly being questioned about our moral code. Absolute bullshit.

*Applause* Excellent post.

Not to mention, I'd be curious to hear the school, or the parents of those kids, have to explain to the kids precisely why their teacher won't be back. That's not gonna be awkward and strange at all, no. Great lesson for the kiddies to learn now-anything relating to the issue of sex that you or your family is dealing with or will deal with is officially other people's business.

Angela

It is a Christian school

they teach about and believe in sin, a man-made concept

as Leslie posted when her husband took a job, at a private religious school, he had to buy into their belief systems and agree to abide by them.

why would she want to stay and peddle that belief system if she does not want to abide by it.

the school should have a right to fire atheists, too.

the school should have a right to fire atheists, too.

BUT, the question is do they have the right to flat out ask if they are an atheist?

It's one thing if an athiest teaches something outside of their cirriculum, but I'm not sure if even a private school has the right to flat out ask such a question, and then announce it.

I am seeing your point

but, I guess by now, you may be picking up on the fact that I don't think it is possible to expect Religious people to be fair or reasonable.

if one want fairness and reasonableness, I believe they must step away from religion

And I see your point and don't believe it...

There's always those that are hardlined and forget about forgiveness.

But then again being hardlined anything usually makes you a hypocrite or unreasonable a lot of the times.

I don't care if it's hardlined Republican, Democrat, athiest, or libertarian :shrug:

I don't know, i might blur the lines a bit here, but I think its fine to ask if a person has a belief in christianity to work in a Christian school. I mean I have taught in religious schools, taught in RE and talked about Jesus and stuff, even though I don't believe it in at all, but if I was looking for a permanent post I wouldn't apply because for me, I couldn't agree with their shoving of religion down poor kids throats who don't have a choice in the matter, so perhaps I wouldn't be a gung ho as someone who truly believes?
Plus your religion does have more to do with teaching and the school seeing it is a religious school compared to your sex life. Just my opinion.

And I see your point and don't believe it...

There's always those that are hardlined and forget about forgiveness.

I think there are a lot of 'good intentioned' religious people that put their own flavor of beliefs into the different religions and go away with something that has value for them

this seems pretty common in some of the different Christian adherents

still at the end of any disagreement, Religious believers can always play the wild card, "just because" without having to back it up.

Well unless you disclose it they have no way of knowing you had IVF. They can't access medical records. Many things go on in private lives that no employer knows, Christian or not.

You can't have rules like that! Not for a job that has no bearing on it. I cannot believe a school would invade your privacy so much. I understand wanting to know if she was Christian, if she had an criminal records or unable to teach children, and THERE IS THE LINE. Nothing to do with your sexual past, or your sexual ideas etc comes into a classroom. it doesn't even flow past your mind. I don't have sex with my boyfriend before school and then turn up into the classroom going 'wehey i got laid kids!' etc

Maybe if she was a stripper, or former prostitute, i'd understand more, but to have had sex outside of marriage to her husband is not justifiable to fire someone. Ever.

ok.

there's a blurry line re: this entire situation, and the line is wether or not the school as an employer has the right to hold it's employees to the same moral clauses that the church would hold it's employees to... and the only reason why this line even exists is because most private schools receive some sort of government aid.

your argument that what she does in her life has no bearing on her job is not true in this case, because it's a christian school; and a fairly strict one it seems. to the people in charge of the school it certainly does have a very important bearing on if she is qualified to work. the only question that matters is if, because they take state aid (i'm assuming), do they have the right to do something about it.

whether or not you happen to agree with the people in charge or not is not relevant.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom