Taxing Your Tan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
So I am driving to work today and there is quite the uproar beginning to occur around this tanning tax.

Apparently, the case is being made that the tax is racist because it is only taxing white people who are using the tanning services.

Thoughts? Anyone else out there hearing this in their community? Is it fair to tax a service that only a lighter skinned person may use? Would there be an uproar over a tax that targeted a product that African Americans use?

I've heard of the tanning tax but not that argument. I tan occasionally and don't care if it's taxed.

I haven't heard anyone talk about it, other than John McCain Tweeting Snooki about it.

Then again, I don't know anyone who tans in tanning booths.

So I am driving to work today and there is quite the uproar beginning to occur around this tanning tax.

Apparently, the case is being made that the tax is racist because it is only taxing white people who are using the tanning services.

Thoughts? Anyone else out there hearing this in their community? Is it fair to tax a service that only a lighter skinned person may use? Would there be an uproar over a tax that targeted a product that African Americans use?

It doesn't "only tax white people." Nowhere in the law does it say that, and there aren't any tanning places that I know of with signs reading, "Only whites allowed."

For the record, I know several Asian and Hispanic people that go tanning. I don't know any black people that do it, but they're certainly free to do so if they wish.

Also, how is the tax implemented? I assume it would be a tax on the business, i.e. the people who own it, who could be of any race. I doubt you swipe a card to pay your tanning tax before the bed turns on.

So not only does Obama hate white people, he also hates white people who are trying to be darker? It's tough to keep up.

'Tan tax' discussions include allegations of reverse racism

But does the argument have any merit? Not remotely said Randall Kennedy, a professor at Harvard Law School specializing in racial conflict and law.

"There is no constitutional problem at all, because a plaintiff would have to show that the government intended to disadvantage a particular group, not simply that the group is disadvantaged in effect," he said.

Kennedy said that this is why courts have upheld a raft of other laws that also happen to have a disproportionate impact on particular groups. For example, laws that impose higher penalties for possession or trafficking of crack cocaine as opposed to powder cocaine resulted in far harsher sentences for African Americans compared to whites. And laws that offer preferential treatment for veterans are much more likely to benefit men than women. But in both cases judges ruled that, because lawmakers did not intend to disadvantage black people or women when drafting those laws, they are legal.

What would it take to prove that President Obama or members of Congress intended to discriminate against white people when they included the tan tax in the health-care law? There would have to be some record of direct or indirect comments by the officials involved, Kennedy said. Or there would have to be no possible alternate reason for adopting the tan tax.

But the levy's supporters argued from the start that it had a dual purpose: to raise funds to cover some of the cost of extending health coverage to the uninsured and to discourage a habit that scientific studies have linked with increased risk of cancer.

"To say that this health rationale was a mere pretext for wanting to stick it to white people is completely implausible," Kennedy said.

now, even Snooki will know the pain of racism.

i guess it's now GTTL. (gym, taxes, tanning, laundry).

Tanning is huge where I live. If there were a tax, I'm sure there would be an uproar.

this seems like a "sin tax" -- no different than taxes on cigarettes, booze, and (hopefully) HFCS. :shrug:

deal with it, and the skin cancer.

Don't take the bait, don't take the bait...

It's not what you think. :wink:

It's an inside joke. If you've been inside certain threads over the past week or so, I'm guessing you probably know exactly what I'm referencing.

Seems like a "tan tax" would also disproportionately affect Hoosiers over Floridians, the young over the old or the vain over the humble.

Anyway, I seem to remember a certain presidential candidate promising, " If your family earns less than $250000 a year, you will not see your taxes increased a single dime."

Oh well.

:lol:

Great comeback Dreadsox :up:

Hey I still think of this place often... The radio got me thinking this morning and I thought I would take a moment to post...

I am so freaking busy between work, my nine year old son taking up acting and club soccer, my twelve year old (5'9") going to the national aau basketball championships and life in general........ I do not have the time I used to have to post in here.

Glad to see the place is still alive and kicking....

My take on this is it is a bullshit argument....

"All taxation is an evil, but heavy taxes, indiscriminately levied on every everything are one of the greatest curses that can afflict a people”

~Henry Brooks Adams (American writer, 1838-1918)

Seems like a "tan tax" would also disproportionately affect Hoosiers over Floridians, the young over the old or the vain over the humble.

Anyway, I seem to remember a certain presidential candidate promising, " If your family earns less than $250000 a year, you will not see your taxes increased a single dime."

Oh well.

Depends what the definintion of promise is.

It's not what you think. :wink:

It's an inside joke. If you've been inside certain threads over the past week or so, I'm guessing you probably know exactly what I'm referencing.

The Komen/Grandmother thing? Carl Day ( he is a member here... he isnt any more ) went ape over that . someone else who is into truth could have really used the time. People like him don't like those kind of " jokes"

It has Florida in an uproar.

Why? They are the Sunshine state! lol I can't imagine living there and needed to tan.

I tan occasionally for S.A.D. Right now, no, because it's light when I go to work, sunny during the day, and light until 10pm. But in the winter it is pitch black when I go to work, dark when I get out, I work in a basement (no windows), and we average two days with sun during those months so even if you are outside it is dark and gray. If I can't ever be outside and get no light exposure I become miserable and lash out at people. I'll tan once a week for 10-12 minutes, usually wearing sunscreen and/or some clothing. They have light boxes and such but they are very expensive and the one my boss uses makes no difference to me, it barely gives off any light and has a weird colored unnatural glow. Just the 10 minutes of exposure when I feel like I'm ready to snap changes my mood.

Why? They are the Sunshine state! lol I can't imagine living there and needed to tan.

I tan occasionally for S.A.D. Right now, no, because it's light when I go to work, sunny during the day, and light until 10pm. But in the winter it is pitch black when I go to work, dark when I get out, I work in a basement (no windows), and we average two days with sun during those months so even if you are outside it is dark and gray. If I can't ever be outside and get no light exposure I become miserable and lash out at people. I'll tan once a week for 10-12 minutes, usually wearing sunscreen and/or some clothing. They have light boxes and such but they are very expensive and the one my boss uses makes no difference to me, it barely gives off any light and has a weird colored unnatural glow. Just the 10 minutes of exposure when I feel like I'm ready to snap changes my mood.

Yes, I always found it odd there are so many tannng beds in florida. It's like hello! Sunshine and beach, free right down the road. One would think they would make more money with a garden hose and spray walkers and bike riders and such. It is hot and sunny right now. Last thing i ould ever think is lets go to the tanning bed.

At work, I will often be in a dark room for days at a time. I also don't feel right after 4 or 5 days. Proper light is important, and lack off cn really mess with the body.

I do know a lot of people with psoriasiswill use them, as it does help with the skin problems.

Yep I've known people who do that too. I don't have it but, hey, whatever works! I don't mind it being taxed like the other vices, but just like smoking and alcohol I don't think it needs to be completely banned. There are plenty of people who know how to do things responsibly and even for the betterment of their health without giving themselves cancer. If there's some tan tax and it costs me 50 cents more or whatever, for the sake of my mental health I will pay the increase during those winter months and not think twice about it. For me it is about the light exposure. It works even if I'm slathered in sunscreen and/or clothed. I have no desire to look like an umpaloompa in Michigan in January.

Interesting point. Thanks for sharing.

In Maryland, we do have some sunny days, during the winter. It just gets cold and the sun sets about three hours, earlier. Plus, we have a time change. Fall back, spring forward.

The Komen/Grandmother thing? Carl Day ( he is a member here... he isnt any more ) went ape over that . someone else who is into truth could have really used the time. People like him don't like those kind of " jokes"

Well, at least you got it. (I think). :wink:

I'm not entirely sure I follow your post. I'm not sure who Carl Day is or what upset him. Nor am I clear what you meant by "someone else who is into the truth could have used the time."

I will say that my intention was not to offend, and if I did, I apologize. I was just poking fun (and yes, referencing an actual argument that you made that I really disagree with) a little and hoped it would be taken in that spirit. Maybe it was an easy potshot, and I should have shown more restraint. Just know that just because I kid you a little bit doesn't mean that I'm unappreciative of the care and interest you've shown outside of the discussions in these threads.

You are very serious poster, and I respect that. But a little light-heartedness, wouldn't hurt, and might even help as you seek to make your points.

Hey I still think of this place often... The radio got me thinking this morning and I thought I would take a moment to post...

I am so freaking busy between work, my nine year old son taking up acting and club soccer, my twelve year old (5'9") going to the national aau basketball championships and life in general........ I do not have the time I used to have to post in here.

Glad to see the place is still alive and kicking....

Good to hear from you.

My take on this is it is a bullshit argument....

I agree, in fact I pretty much figured you were making a mockery of the argument and saw this thread as satire. Hense the :lol:

Take care!

as someone who has seen what can happen when someone gets skin cancer, i definitely don't see anything wrong with this tax. teens need to realise this can be harmful to you. one summer i worked at a tanning salon. you'd be surprised how many people (including adults) tan without their goggles on at least. :huh: i guess if they go blind, they won't be able to see their melanoma.

Back
Top Bottom