Swap:1,027 Palestinians for 1 Israeli - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-18-2011, 07:34 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
the iron horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: in a glass of CheerWine
Posts: 3,251
Local Time: 08:02 AM
Swap:1,027 Palestinians for 1 Israeli

BBC News - Gilad Shalit freed in Israeli-Palestinian prisoner swap
__________________

__________________
the iron horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:46 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 07:02 AM
Worst trade since the Cubs traded Lou Brock to the Cards for Ernie Broglio.
__________________

__________________
INDY500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 12,351
Local Time: 08:02 AM
Ugh the writing in that article is so incredibly biased it's annoying.
__________________
LuckyNumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:58 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
the iron horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: in a glass of CheerWine
Posts: 3,251
Local Time: 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Ugh the writing in that article is so incredibly biased it's annoying.

Could you explain why you feel that way?
__________________
the iron horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:13 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
the iron horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: in a glass of CheerWine
Posts: 3,251
Local Time: 08:02 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/19/wo...or-shalit.html
__________________
the iron horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:14 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 12,351
Local Time: 08:02 AM
What do you mean? It's written from the side of Israel. They're apparently terrorists and criminals being released versus a super innocent Israeli soldier who did nothing wrong.

"For Israel this has been a day of great joy, but also of concern for the consequences of releasing of more than 1,000 Palestinian prisoners".
__________________
LuckyNumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:07 AM   #7
The Fly
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Israel
Posts: 112
Local Time: 03:02 PM
Writing "for Israel" was meant to bring a certain point of view. The article didn't state it as a fact. People usually see a bias in a news report according to their own views.

And yes, what can you do, many of the Palestinian prisoners released had a role in planning and executing terror attacks that killed many people inside Israel. It's estimated that 60% of the prisoners released in previous deals returned to engage in terrorist activity (or to be freedom fighters if you may wish). Sure, Israel's authorities are not saints either, but all of those prisoners had the right for Red Cross visits, family visits under certain constrains, their imprisonment condition were monitored by the UN, they had access to higher education and by looking at their appearance on the day of release they received sufficient amounts of food and water. All of the above wasn't meant not to brag of course, it's just the basics.

Gilad Shalit, on the other hand, was held in an unknown place, no one knows in what conditions he lived in for the past five years, he was held in isolation and could only communicate with few of his captives, the Red Cross was not allowed to visit him - not to mention his family. The only sign of life from him was a video tape released two years ago. I don't know what they did to him, but when watching him yesterday I couldn't help thinking that he looked like a holocaust survivor.
__________________
sarit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:12 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,272
Local Time: 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarit View Post
And yes, what can you do, many of the Palestinian prisoners released had a role in planning and executing terror attacks that killed many people inside Israel. It's estimated that 60% of the prisoners released in previous deals returned to engage in terrorist activity (or to be freedom fighters if you may wish).
I think this is one of those decisions that I am glad I would not have to make.

I worked with 3 Israelis who were completing a medical fellowship in Canada when Gilad Shalit was first kidnapped and I remember them all saying how it hit very close to home because someday their children will have to serve in the army and it could very well happen to any one of them. So I think that he was probably hugely symbolic to the country and that played a large part in what could be perceived to the rest of us as an unfair or nonsensical swap.

In any event, he's a young guy who lost some of his best years and I hope that he is now on the road to recovery.
__________________
anitram is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:08 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
the iron horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: in a glass of CheerWine
Posts: 3,251
Local Time: 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I think this is one of those decisions that I am glad I would not have to make.

I worked with 3 Israelis who were completing a medical fellowship in Canada when Gilad Shalit was first kidnapped and I remember them all saying how it hit very close to home because someday their children will have to serve in the army and it could very well happen to any one of them. So I think that he was probably hugely symbolic to the country and that played a large part in what could be perceived to the rest of us as an unfair or nonsensical swap.

In any event, he's a young guy who lost some of his best years and I hope that he is now on the road to recovery.


>>>elevation
__________________

__________________
the iron horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com