Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia Dies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How long before Trump or Cruz accuses Obama of having orchestrated the death somehow?

How long before Trump or Cruz accuses Obama of having orchestrated the death somehow?

Not much better: Republicans are already talking about blocking anyone whom Obama appoints to replace Scalia.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Yeah, Obama isn't getting a nominee through in his lame duck year. We knew it already, but we need the Democrat to win.

This is my shocked face.

What's even more shocking is that it's the GOP's standard-bearer of decent, Ted Cruz, who is leading the charge.

But regarding Scalia... I find his moral conviction inspiring. Not sure I agree with him (I feel undecided on and rather unqualified to talk about constitutional law issues), but he was (to my knowledge) a pillar of intellectual consistency. I admire that and respect that a lot.

Not sure I agree with him (I feel undecided on and rather unqualified to talk about constitutional law issues), but he was (to my knowledge) a pillar of intellectual consistency. I admire that and respect that a lot.

Wow, dear Lord if this is what people think of his drivel...

He was consistent, I'll give you that. "Intellectually" consistent, I don't even know what that means.

Seems to be a man who could disagree without being disagreeable. He was very well-liked by his colleagues.

What's even more shocking is that it's the GOP's standard-bearer of decent, Ted Cruz, who is leading the charge.

But regarding Scalia... I find his moral conviction inspiring. Not sure I agree with him (I feel undecided on and rather unqualified to talk about constitutional law issues), but he was (to my knowledge) a pillar of intellectual consistency. I admire that and respect that a lot.

I agree with that to an extent but yes, he does have less admirable things on his record.

Reid poisoned the well when he went to simple majority votes to confirm appellate court judges. Now the GOP is in control and will play their cards to delay the next SCOTUS nominee.

Now it becomes a campaign issue. Americans will learn a lot more about the Judicial Branch.

RIP Scalia. I'm a big fan of his.

In case the stakes for this election weren't high enough.....
I made a comment yesterday that the new president will be responsible for picking at least 3 new justices. I believe Scalia was one of the justices expected to retire sometime in the next couple years, but I could be wrong.

The idea of Obama as a SCOTUS justice is enough to make me believe that there might be an all-powerful deity out there who loves us and wants us to be happy.

I love this idea that Obama shouldn't be allowed to nominate a new justice because he'll be out of office next year. If another justice dies the day after the next president is sworn in, he or she better not appoint anybody either because a candidate from the rival party might become president in three years and 364 days.

"We vow to uphold the constitution!" = "we will not let the president execute his constitutional right to elect a new justice!"

(Of course, the other side blocks justices as well when it comes up. But hi, hypocrites!)

Back
Top Bottom