Old 10-29-2010, 04:35 PM   #91
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:06 PM
Obama blew it,

he missed his photo op.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:56 PM   #92
Refugee

Local Time: 12:06 AM
No offense, but do you ever have anything relevant to say?

Old 10-29-2010, 06:01 PM   #93
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
No offense, but do you ever have anything relevant to say?
Pot, kettle?
Old 10-29-2010, 06:03 PM   #94
Refugee

Local Time: 05:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramwest1 View Post
^Yup. I would rather see U.S. food aid rations being eaten at an Al Qaeda training camp than dead civilians from an errant US/UN attack.

But, what can we do? And I do mean this with respect.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:12 PM   #95
has a

Local Time: 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A stor View Post
But, what can we do? And I do mean this with respect.
I mean let's continue to use the military as an aid arm in Pakistan/Afghanistan even if it is feeding our enemies, and cut back or stop any armed activity.

There's no reason we shouldn't just scale back to an advisory role in both countries. And, I think we should seriously consider stopping arming the Afghans and Pakistanis with American weapons. Anything leading to death in those countries that has a U.S. affiliation will just continue Al Qaeda's propaganda and recruitment campaign.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:13 PM   #96
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
And, I think we should seriously consider stopping arming the Afghans and Pakistanis with American weapons. Anything leading to death in those countries that has a U.S. affiliation will just continue Al Qaeda's propaganda and recruitment campaign.
YES. Fully agree with this.

It's always struck me funny how we freak out if those countries produce their own weapons, 'cause we fear they'll possibly "fall into the wrong hands"-well, isn't the same danger apparent if we provide them with the weapons? If we don't trust them to build their own weapons, why are we giving them some of ours? It doesn't make sense.

Angela
Old 10-29-2010, 06:18 PM   #97
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
YES. Fully agree with this.

It's always struck me funny how we freak out if those countries produce their own weapons, 'cause we fear they'll possibly "fall into the wrong hands"-well, isn't the same danger apparent if we provide them with the weapons? If we don't trust them to build their own weapons, why are we giving them some of ours? It doesn't make sense.

Angela
I think the unmanned drone technology is brilliant and has and will continue to serve our military very well. But, any drone use in the Middle East or South Asia right now just screams UNITED STATES, even if several other countries are building/using drone technology.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:47 PM   #98
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
I think the unmanned drone technology is brilliant and has and will continue to serve our military very well.
I'm sorta torn on the concept, myself. On the one hand, I can see the benefits-less danger for actual human soldiers, technology can perhaps have a better target range, all that sort of thing.

But technology does fail, and I dunno, it seems weird for people to sign up for the military saying they'll "put their lives on the line to protect the country", only to turn some of the work over to the drones. And leaving the drones unmanned seems odd, too. Don't mean it to sound like I'm saying "the robots will take over!", 'cause I'm not, but shouldn't there be some control of them?

Quote:
But, any drone use in the Middle East or South Asia right now just screams UNITED STATES, even if several other countries are building/using drone technology.
Mmhm. We've definitely overstayed our welcome in that area of the world.

Angela
Old 10-29-2010, 07:08 PM   #99
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
But technology does fail, and I dunno, it seems weird for people to sign up for the military saying they'll "put their lives on the line to protect the country", only to turn some of the work over to the drones. And leaving the drones unmanned seems odd, too. Don't mean it to sound like I'm saying "the robots will take over!", 'cause I'm not, but shouldn't there be some control of them?
I've read a few discussions from people in the military talking about the ethics of allowing drones' AI (Artificial Intelligence) to make the decision to kill. The technology is there. It's fascinating. It seems that almost all of the military is against it and that they will always keep a human brain in the decision loop, but that could change in a decade or two. And, then we are in "Terminator" territory where machines become self-aware and begin killing humans.

Actually there was a test in I believe South Africa a few years ago where an automated defense weapon (I believe it was an air defense gun) turned against the people that were observing it. I can't remember if anyone died. I'll have to find that article.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:43 PM   #100
Refugee

Quote:
I mean let's continue to use the military as an aid arm in Pakistan/Afghanistan even if it is feeding our enemies, and cut back or stop any armed activity.

There's no reason we shouldn't just scale back to an advisory role in both countries. And, I think we should seriously consider stopping arming the Afghans and Pakistanis with American weapons. Anything leading to death in those countries that has a U.S. affiliation will just continue Al Qaeda's propaganda and recruitment campaign.

Thank you for your reply. I agree with you. And you able word it much better than I could.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:45 PM   #101
Refugee

Quote:
I've read a few discussions from people in the military talking about the ethics of allowing drones' AI (Artificial Intelligence) to make the decision to kill. The technology is there. It's fascinating. It seems that almost all of the military is against it and that they will always keep a human brain in the decision loop, but that could change in a decade or two. And, then we are in "Terminator" territory where machines become self-aware and begin killing humans.

Actually there was a test in I believe South Africa a few years ago where an automated defense weapon (I believe it was an air defense gun) turned against the people that were observing it. I can't remember if anyone died. I'll have to find that article.

That's interesting. I believe it could happen. Machines do not have the ability to decide what is a true threat and what isn't.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:15 PM   #102
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Exactly. This is my concern, and I find it quite interesting that many in the military are against such technologies. If that's the case, why do they have it, then?

It's funny to talk about machines becoming "self-aware", though, the idea of giving them human qualities still sounds kinda crackpot in some ways. But how many times have people ranted about various technologies "having a mind of their own"?

Quote:
Yikes. Yeah, if you can find that, I'd be very interested to read that.

Angela
Old 10-29-2010, 08:24 PM   #103
Refugee

This is just my guess Angela. Soldiers have reasoning ability. Say for an example. They would not see a baby as a threat. But, a machine is programed to carry out certain functions. It can not determine when it is better to not to act.

I can understand why the soldiers don't want to use them. If they go into a village and there is no threat. Then, the soldiers will act accordingly. Maned drones strike a target. These targets have sometimes been innocent civilians.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:43 AM   #104
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
Anddddd explosives found in a plane from Yemen. Awesome.
i can't reconcile the discussion in the thread with this post. can you elaborate?
Old 10-30-2010, 11:04 AM   #105
Refugee

I think Pac mule meant that explosives would be easier to send on a cargo plane. Since there is less security than with passenger planes. This would threaten Homeland Security for the U.S. and other nations as well. I don't have to explain what a bomb going off at an airport would do. We already know.