Support the troops? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2010, 12:40 PM   #46
Refugee

Local Time: 01:40 AM
Quote:
Your mandate is to support nation building overseas, which is a strange mandate for a national military force
Not really. I believe we have a responsibility to help other nations overseas. Are you opposed to the battalion of Marines we sent to Haiti to help rebuild after the earthquake?

Old 10-21-2010, 12:47 PM   #47
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
Not really. I believe we have a responsibility to help other nations overseas. Are you opposed to the battalion of Marines we sent to Haiti to help rebuild after the earthquake?
The difference is that the US did not demolish the Haitian infrastructure and occupy the country before helping them to rebuild. That's not a liberal viewpoint, it's historical fact.

Talk about winning hearts and minds. After the second Iraqi war, and Afghanistan, I don't think there are many countries who would want the special brand of "helping" the US mandates its modern military to provide.

The poor bastards left serving in Iraq and the ones with a long fight ahead in Afghanistan are unfortunately the ones who have have to deal with the lasting effects of the Bush Doctrine, which has proven to be a monumental, disgraceful failure for US foreign policy.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:56 PM   #48
Refugee

Old 10-21-2010, 01:00 PM   #49
ONE
love, blood, life

?
Old 10-21-2010, 01:05 PM   #50
Refugee

I just hear this same kind of stuff over and over, and it's really not true.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:11 PM   #51
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I just hear this same kind of stuff over and over, and it's really not true.
What's not true about our overseas forces being there to clean up the gigantic mess from a failed foreign policy doctrine?

We didn't go into Iraq to liberate anyone. We went into Iraq to preemptively disarm them on shakey intelligence, and civilian and military planners had almost no well thought out plans post-invasion.

It's a clean up in one country, a very hot war in another, and the entire tme Pakistan has been playing the US and insurgents off against each other.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:30 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Are you opposed to the battalion of Marines we sent to Haiti to help rebuild after the earthquake?
Surely you understand that this is not nation building?
Old 10-21-2010, 07:55 PM   #53
Refugee

Local Time: 06:40 AM
Pac mule, I know it is none of my business. Please wait another few years before you join the military. Seventeen is too young. You are barely out of high school. Work, get some sort of training and if you still feel the same way. When you are in your mid-twenties. Then, pursue a military career. Seven to eight years from now, isn't a long time. Plus, we may not be at war. I pray we aren't. You could have a great career in D.C. Working for the pentagon or something simular.

If I wanted a career in the military. I would definately get a college degree first. At least a Bachelor of Science. Better yet, a Master's Degree. Preferebly in medical, engineering or technology. Because, you will automatically be trained as an officer. Higher rank equals much better choices for you in the long run.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:32 PM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
Talk about winning hearts and minds. After the second Iraqi war, and Afghanistan, I don't think there are many countries who would want the special brand of "helping" the US mandates its modern military to provide.
Just found this article on Yahoo! that tends to illustrate your statement here:

Iraqi leaders not following US advice on gov't - Yahoo! News

Clearly they don't seem all that impressed with us anymore, presuming they ever were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
The poor bastards left serving in Iraq and the ones with a long fight ahead in Afghanistan are unfortunately the ones who have have to deal with the lasting effects of the Bush Doctrine, which has proven to be a monumental, disgraceful failure for US foreign policy.
Yep. What a memory/legacy for them, eh?

When it comes to rebuilding countries after natural disasters, or helping them with aid (medicine, food, etc.), I'm all for our military's efforts, as well as the efforts of anyone else who's interested, to help with such things. But wars do not help people. They may solve a few problems here and there in the short term, but for the most part it seems they just create new problems and make long-standing ones worse. And yet again, it strikes me funny that we feel we know how to help other countries fix their governments-you've seen how brilliantly ours has been working as of late, right?

If they ask for our help and advice, then perhaps go for it. Otherwise, I'm incredibly hesitant about us getting involved in structuring the government for another nation.

Angela
Old 10-22-2010, 10:02 PM   #55
Refugee

Quote:
What's not true about our overseas forces being there to clean up the gigantic mess from a failed foreign policy doctrine?

We didn't go into Iraq to liberate anyone. We went into Iraq to preemptively disarm them on shakey intelligence, and civilian and military planners had almost no well thought out plans post-invasion.

It's a clean up in one country, a very hot war in another, and the entire tme Pakistan has been playing the US and insurgents off against each other.
I'm not talking about Iraq, I'm talking about Afghanistan. I don't regret going into Afghanistan. Most people in the military who actually understand whats going on don't regret it either. What we do regret is the way the war was initially fought. It could very well have been over years ago if we went in with a much stronger force and actually locked the country down.

I do regret going into Iraq, and the way the war was fought.

But I do agree with that last part.

Quote:
Pac mule, I know it is none of my business. Please wait another few years before you join the military. Seventeen is too young. You are barely out of high school. Work, get some sort of training and if you still feel the same way. When you are in your mid-twenties. Then, pursue a military career. Seven to eight years from now, isn't a long time. Plus, we may not be at war. I pray we aren't. You could have a great career in D.C. Working for the pentagon or something simular.

If I wanted a career in the military. I would definately get a college degree first. At least a Bachelor of Science. Better yet, a Master's Degree. Preferebly in medical, engineering or technology. Because, you will automatically be trained as an officer. Higher rank equals much better choices for you in the long run.
No, don't worry about it I actually don't want a career in the military. Well, maybe I will change my mind afterwards, but as of now I just want to do my four years in the Marines (Eight years technically, four active four inactive) and then go to college. I've been working for several years, and have been thinking about it for quite some time. I feel I'm ready. Thanks for caring though!
Old 10-23-2010, 10:32 AM   #56
Refugee

You are welcome Pac mule. I only wish you the best. Perhaps you can do something that is non-combat. Medic or technology. Both are always needed, especially medical. The Military can train you for this.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:36 AM   #57
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
Just found this article on Yahoo! that tends to illustrate your statement here:

Iraqi leaders not following US advice on gov't - Yahoo! News

Clearly they don't seem all that impressed with us anymore, presuming they ever were.

Yep. What a memory/legacy for them, eh?

When it comes to rebuilding countries after natural disasters, or helping them with aid (medicine, food, etc.), I'm all for our military's efforts, as well as the efforts of anyone else who's interested, to help with such things. But wars do not help people. They may solve a few problems here and there in the short term, but for the most part it seems they just create new problems and make long-standing ones worse. And yet again, it strikes me funny that we feel we know how to help other countries fix their governments-you've seen how brilliantly ours has been working as of late, right?

If they ask for our help and advice, then perhaps go for it. Otherwise, I'm incredibly hesitant about us getting involved in structuring the government for another nation.

Angela
Thanks Angela for the article. I don't think we should "help" the Middle East even if they say please. Our military is fantastic at helping countries who need and appreciate it. When a natural disaster strikes. As Pac mule mentioned with Haiti.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:27 PM   #58
Refugee

Quote:
You are welcome Pac mule. I only wish you the best. Perhaps you can do something that is non-combat. Medic or technology. Both are always needed, especially medical. The Military can train you for this.
I wanted to be a combat medic, however the Marines have the Navy take care of their medical needs. I'm signed up for combat support, and I'm aiming for tank crewman.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:23 PM   #59
has a

Local Time: 12:40 AM
Quote:
I wanted to be a combat medic, however the Marines have the Navy take care of their medical needs. I'm signed up for combat support, and I'm aiming for tank crewman.
As I have heard more than a few Marines say, "The Navy? Yeah, well, they get us there."

Old 10-23-2010, 07:30 PM   #60
Refugee

Quote:
As I have heard more than a few Marines say, "The Navy? Yeah, well, they get us there."
My friend is joining the Navy. He always gives me rides to school and other places. I always tell him that a year or so from now he's still going to be giving me rides