Sunday Dispatch Megathread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sunday Dispatch.513

Sunday Dispatch.513

John Coltrane lets his saxophone do the talking, but included the words of his prayer in the album insert for A Love Supreme.

"Elation, Elegance, Exaltation. All from God. Thank you God. Amen."

Sunday Dispatch.514

Sunday Dispatch.514

A traveler encountered a guru on the road and asked him, "Are
you a deity?"
The guru said no.
"Are you a saint?"
The guru said no.
"Are you a prophet?"
The guru said no.
Exasperated, the traveler asked, "Then what are you?"
The guru answered, "I'm awake."

~Unknown

" I have two wolves fighting in my heart...
One wolf is vengeful, angry.
The other wolf is the loving, compassionate." said the old man.

'Which one is going to win?' asked the child.

'The one I feed.' answered the old man.

Sunday Dispatch.516

Sunday Dispatch.516

Later as he was sitting on Mount Olives, his disciples approached and asked him, "Tell us, when are these things going to happen? What will be the sign of your coming, that the time's up?"

Jesus said, "Watch out for doomsday deceivers. Many leaders are going to show up with forged identities, claiming, 'I am Christ, the Messiah.' They will deceive a lot of people."

"In the confusion, lying preachers will come forward and deceive a lot of people. For many others, the overwhelming spread of evil will do them in—nothing left of their love but a mound of ashes."

"If anyone tries to flag you down, calling out, 'Here's the Messiah!' or points, 'There he is!' don't fall for it. Fake Messiahs and lying preachers are going to pop up everywhere. Their impressive credentials and dazzling performances will pull the wool over the eyes of even those who ought to know better. But I've given you fair warning."

"So if they say, 'Run to the country and see him arrive!' or, 'Quick, get downtown, see him come!' don't give them the time of day. The Arrival of the Son of Man isn't something you go to see."

"But the exact day and hour? No one knows that, not even heaven's angels, not even the Son. Only the Father knows."

~from Matthew 24 (The Message)

Sunday Dispatch.517

Sunday Dispatch.517

Say a prayer for the common foot soldier
Spare a thought for his back breaking work
Say a prayer for his wife and his children
Who burn the fires and who still till the earth

~M. Jagger / K. Richards

Sunday Dispatch.518

Sunday Dispatch.518

It always strikes me, and it is very peculiar, that, whenever we see the image of indescribable and unutterable desolation—of loneliness, poverty, and misery, the end and extreme of things—the thought of God comes into one's mind.

~Vincent van Gogh

Sunday Dispatch.519

Sunday Dispatch.519

An argument started among the disciples as to which of them would be the greatest.
Jesus, knowing their thoughts, took a little child and had him stand beside him.
Then he said to them,
“Whoever welcomes this little child in my name welcomes me;
and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. For it is the one who is least among you all who is the greatest.”

~Luke 9:46
(The New International Version)

Sunday Dispatch.522

Sunday Dispatch.522

Can you hear the sighing of the wind? Can you feel the heavy
silence in the mountains? Can you sense the restless longing
of the sea? Can you see it in the woeful eyes of an animal?

Something's coming...something better.

~Joni Eareckson Tada

Sunday Dispatch.523

Sunday Dispatch.523

Tell all the truth but tell it slant
Success in circuit lies.
Too bright for our inform delight
The truth's superb surprise.
As lightning to the children eased
With explanation kind,
The truth must dazzle gradually
Or every man be blind.

~Emily Dickinson

Sunday Dispatch.524

Sunday Dispatch.524

Do not forget that the value and interest of life
is not so much to do conspicuous things...
as to do ordinary things with the perception of
their enormous value.

~Pierre Teilhard De Chardin

Sunday Dispatch.525

Sunday Dispatch.525

"Don't pick on people, jump on their failures, criticize their faults— unless, of course, you want the same treatment. That critical spirit has a way of boomeranging. It's easy to see a smudge on your neighbor's face and be oblivious to the ugly sneer on your own. Do you have the nerve to say, 'Let me wash your face for you,' when your own face is distorted by contempt? It's this whole traveling road-show mentality all over again, playing a holier-than-thou part instead of just living your part. Wipe that ugly sneer off your own face, and you might be fit to offer a washcloth to your neighbor.

~Matthew 7:1-5 (The Message)

Sunday Dispatch.528

Sunday Dispatch.528

I attempt to refute the argument leading atheists make
that there is no independent proof in the scientific rational
sense of the existence of God.

I respond, "Yeah, that's why He is God! If you were to
have a system of rational proof which validated His
existence that system would be God.

~Stanley Fish

Sunday Dispatch.529

Sunday Dispatch.529

I will never forget this awful time,
as I grieve over my loss.
Yet I still dare to hope
When I remember this:

The faithful love of the Lord never ends.
His mercies never cease.
Great is his faithfulness;
his mercies begin afresh each morning.

~Lamentations 3:20-23 (NLT)

Sunday Dispatch.530

Sunday Dispatch.530

Take Time for 10 Things
1. Take time to work: It is the price of success.
2. Take time to think: It is the source of power.
3. Take time to play: It is the secret of youth.
4. Take time to read: It is the foundation of knowledge.
5. Take time to worship: It is the highway of reverence and
clears the dust from our minds.
6. Take time to help: It is the source of true happiness.
7. Take time to love: It is the sacrament of life.
8. Take time to dream: It hitches the soul to the stars.
9. Take time to laugh: It is the singing that helps with life’s loads.
10. Take time to plan: It is the secret of being able to obtain security,
money and time in order to enjoy the first nine to the fullest.

~Cary Grant’s musings on living, dying, and the art of happiness
From the book Good Stuff by Jennifer Grant

Sunday Dispatch.534

Sunday Dispatch.534

"The Christians form among themselves secret societies that exists outside the system of laws, an obscure and mysterious community founded on revolt."
~Origen

"They form a rabble of profane conspiracy.
Their alliance consists in meeting with rituals and inhuman revelries.They despise temples as if they were tombs.
They disparage the gods and ridicule our sacred rites.
They look down on our priests."
~Minucius Felex

"The Christians boast that they blaspheme and strike the images of the gods."
~Celsus

"When a Christian passes through the temples he will spit down upon the smoking altars and blow them out."
~Tertullian

"They recognize each other by secret signs and symbols. They love one another before being aquainted.
Everywhere they practice a kind of religious cult of lust, calling one another"brother" and "sister" indiscriminately.
Thus under the cover of hallowed names, ordinary fornication becomes incest.
They venerate an executed criminal and the gallows, the wooden cross on which he was executed."
~Felix

J6ZJD.jpg

Sunday Dispatch.536

We were blessed by the teacher
Who didn't have a degree
We were blessed by the prisoner
Who knew how to be free

We were blessed
Yeah, we were blessed

We were blessed by the mystic
Who turned water into wine

~Lucinda Williams

this guy writes a weekly coluum in my local paper, I always read what he writes.
this one was pretty good.

On Faith: Look past perception to find substance
By Rabbi Mark S. Miller

8:54 PM PST, November 11, 2011

Lyndon Johnson once praised the bravery of his great-grandfather in defending the Alamo. When a journalist pointed out to the president that his great-grandfather did not fight at the Alamo, he answered, "Why are you journalists so concerned over facts?"

Johnson testified to a truism of human nature: The facts themselves are not as important to us as what we want the facts to be. Although we learned in Philosophy 101 that our perception of a thing is not the thing itself — that the map is not the territory — we confuse what is with our own take on reality.

The husk is barely penetrated in our national discourse. We are satisfied with superficiality, as ideas are reduced to sound bites, truth is cheapened to truism, and cliches are substituted for content. Today it is all about semblance rather than essence.

In the 1960 presidential debate, the camera was kinder to John. F Kennedy than to Richard Nixon. Nixon later said: "At the conclusion, I recognized my basic mistake: I had concentrated too much on substance and not enough on appearance." Abraham Lincoln could hardly be elected president today. He wasn't telegenic, spoke in a squeaky voice, walked with an ungainly gait, and projected a sad countenance.

The vacuity of our political process, in which voting preferences are based on how many flags or how many firemen are positioned behind a candidate, reflects a deeper malaise: Image is taken for substance.

Writing about one of the great swindles of the 1930s, John Kenneth Galbraith pointed to a trait of any financial community that he believed put it at the risk of committing fraud, "The tendency to confuse good manners and good tailoring with integrity and intelligence." We are seduced by images and airbrushing. Nothing succeeds like the look of success. As long as you seem to know something, it is the same as if you know it. We are bombarded by weapons of mass perception.

A front page story becomes news by virtue of being on the front page; a best-seller sells a lot more copies because it has already sold a lot of copies; a celebrity is known for his or her well-known-ness.

Facts are not paramount — things are what we want them to be, imagine them to be, perceive them to be. It is all smoke and mirrors. If "Dragnet" was produced today, Sgt. Friday would plead, "Just the virtual reality, ma'am, just the virtual reality."

Sigmund Freud's nephew, Edward Bernays, is known as the founder of modern public relations, and less charitably as the "father of spin." His credo was that presentation, packaging and peripherals are everything.

Reality takes second place to image, as in the anecdote of two women who meet, one pushing a stroller: "My, that's a beautiful baby you have there," says the admiring friend. The mother replies: "Oh, that's nothing — you should see his picture!"

Confusing externals with virtue is a spiritual issue. The Bible warns us that charm does not necessarily signify inner good. A gregarious person is not inevitably a sincere person, flawless skin is not a certain indicator of inner purity, success is not the measure of significance, and wealth does not always equate to being a mentsch.

When the Prophet Samuel was sent to anoint a son of Jesse as king of Israel, he was about to select Jesse's son Eliav, a strapping and handsome young man who projected a kingly manner. But God vetoed this choice, saying to Samuel: "Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, for the Lord does not see as mortals see; they look on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart."

The worth of a human being has nothing to do with possessions, schooling, position, charisma, attractiveness, glibness, a firm handshake, marketing, public relations, spin, or a winning smile. It has everything to do with character and integrity, morality and humility, spirit and heart.

MARK S. MILLER is the senior rabbi at Temple Bat Yahm in Newport Beach.

Back
Top Bottom