Study: Childhood Obesity Has Become A Global Epidemic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I make my own breakfast every morning now... takes 5 minutes tops, and costs significantly less than when I would pick up breakfast on my way to work, and is healthier to boot.

The idea that it takes too much time to eat better is utter bullshit.
I'm all about the oatmeal these days...

1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup water, dash of salt, boil that shit, reduce to medium and toss in 1/2 cup of Quaker oats, toss in a teaspoon of brown sugar, squeeze of honey, and some chopped up strawberry.

Takes 5 fucking minutes.

I love fucking breakfast.

It's not the food.

It's the lack of physical activity.

You're not very consistent with your message.

You've posted links saying you believe high fructose corn syrup is part of the problem. That would mean the food IS part of the problem.

Diemen is right it's the combination.

You once said that you could eat anything and as much as you want as long as you get off the couch.

So do you really believe one could eat 3 Bennigan's size portions a day and would be fine if all they did was walk around the block?

If so you would be wrong.

I would add to Diemen's post and say "it's the lack of physical activity, the food, and education".

It's not the food.

it's both.

i've always been very physically active. but i ate like crap. i gained weight anyways. i eventually got to a nice medium where i sustained my weight, but didn't drop anything. then i changed my diet, and the weight has flown off.

don't get me wrong... i'm in no way in favor of banning salt or mcdonalds or mountain dew or whatever other unhealthy thing out there that you can think of. but these things should only be had in true moderation.

i agree with BVS. people aren't educated enough about how to properly take care of their body... that includes what you do with it physically as well as what you put into it.

I'm all about the oatmeal these days...

1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup water, dash of salt, boil that shit, reduce to medium and toss in 1/2 cup of Quaker oats, toss in a teaspoon of brown sugar, squeeze of honey, and some chopped up strawberry.

Takes 5 fucking minutes.

I love fucking breakfast.

two egg whites and a whole egg to add some flavor, with a little hot sauce... no bread, no cheese... high protein breakfast to kick start the metabolism.

i eat two lunches... one at 11:15, one at 2:30. first lunch usually consists of a grilled chicken salad with some very lite balsamic dressing... second lunch is either some sort of turkey or ham, plain no bread, with some steamed vegitibibibles... preferably legumes.

chicken or grass fed beef for dinner, with a salad and more vegitititibbles. sometimes some turkey chili instead.

that's usually sunday through friday. saturday i eat like a slob in order to keep my metabolic rate from plateauing.

basketball 4 days a week, medicine ball workout 3 days a week... lots of walking is a given living in manhattan... and in a matter of 4 months i've gone from 245 to my college playing weight of 213, which i last weighed 9 years ago.

never could have done it with increased physical activity alone. as i said... i was never one to not be active. i still enjoy beer, wine, greasy burgers, etc. etc. etc... just limited to one day a week. went away to a wedding where i overdid the intake of food and drink for 3 days... was able to drop whatever weight i put in quickly by getting back on my plan.

and it's all because i took the time to read a few books, do some research and get educated on how to better take care of my body.

so i've gotten healthier, lost weight, look better, feel better, have a ton more energy, and have a monthly grocery bill that's about a third less than what it used to be. all from educating myself about what i was putting in my body and adding it to what i already did physically.

two egg whites and a whole egg to add some flavor, with a little hot sauce... no bread, no cheese... high protein breakfast to kick start the metabolism.

i eat two lunches... one at 11:15, one at 2:30. first lunch usually consists of a grilled chicken salad with some very lite balsamic dressing... second lunch is either some sort of turkey or ham, plain no bread, with some steamed vegitibibibles... preferably legumes.

chicken or grass fed beef for dinner, with a salad and more vegitititibbles. sometimes some turkey chili instead.

that's usually sunday through friday. saturday i eat like a slob in order to keep my metabolic rate from plateauing.

basketball 4 days a week, medicine ball workout 3 days a week... lots of walking is a given living in manhattan... and in a matter of 4 months i've gone from 245 to my college playing weight of 213, which i last weighed 9 years ago.

never could have done it with increased physical activity alone. as i said... i was never one to not be active. i still enjoy beer, wine, greasy burgers, etc. etc. etc... just limited to one day a week. went away to a wedding where i overdid the intake of food and drink for 3 days... was able to drop whatever weight i put in quickly by getting back on my plan.

and it's all because i took the time to read a few books, do some research and get educated on how to better take care of my body.

so i've gotten healthier, lost weight, look better, feel better, have a ton more energy, and have a monthly grocery bill that's about a third less than what it used to be. all from educating myself about what i was putting in my body and adding it to what i already did physically.

:up: Good going Headache, congrats.

It's not the food.

That's just not true. I lost 10 pounds just by portion controlling my snacking. I was still walking 15-20 miles a week but not losing weight, because I was in denial about how much I was snacking. It's different for women, for age groups, and for individuals. But physical activity alone, at some point (probably past the age of 25..or whenever it is) is not going to cut it. You can't just eat whatever you want and work it all off. Maybe if you're an extreme biker or marathon runner. But I'm talking about the average person.

I use to think that my family would cheap out on food when I was a kid. We didn't have soda, kool aid, doughnuts, chips and etc. My family is of Irish extration. We ate plenty of veggies, especially boiled cabbage and potatoes. I told my DR. this. He said I ate very healthy as a child. I played outdoors. My snacks were a piece of fruit. I have never been over weight. At age 54 my BMI is 23. Which is ideal for me.

Back
Top Bottom