Student Kills Intruder With Samurai Sword

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought we solved this issue for good when Tom Cruise made it abundantly clear that he was the Last Samurai.

I'm gonna reply to some of the stuff said, but I'm on my iPhone so I don't want to spend 20 min writing the shit. Tomorrow at work I will, don't miss it :lol:

It's interesting that the article says the student killed the man with only one strike of the sword but yet the victim had "a nearly severed hand and a laceration to his upper body."

His hand was either severed when he lunged or he held up his hand to fend off the sword.

It's interesting that the article says the student killed the man with only one strike of the sword but yet the victim had "a nearly severed hand and a laceration to his upper body."

His hand was either severed when he lunged or he held up his hand to fend off the sword.

we don't know what happened

burglars typically flee, they don't lunge towards people with swords

but if I had to speculate, I would say the guy killed a defenseless man that put up his hand to block the sword

we don't know what happened

burglars typically flee, they don't lunge towards people with swords

but if I had to speculate, I would say the guy killed a defenseless man that put up his hand to block the sword

You've perhaps done as much speculating as HyperU2 in this thread. People generally like to speculate on news articles though. It's the same with human behaviour in particular incidents.

It's easy to monday morning quarterback these types of situations, even though we dont know anything other than what the article says, which most of the time, isnt enough. Here are the facts as i see them:

1.) thief broke into his garage to steal something
2.) student was blocking the exit armed with a sword, and had called the police beforehand, the thief may or may not know this
3.) the thief doesnt appear armed, but you cant see what he has under shirt, in pockets, etc
4.) the student doesnt know the thief's capabilities or intentions now that the thief knows he's caught
5.) the thief is caught and trapped by a person wielding a sword, he may or may not know if the police are coming, yet he still makes some kind of move towards the student, instead of just giving up "ok im caught", that sort of thing. the move might have been just an attempt to escape, or it might have been an offensive move towards the student with unknown intentions.
6.) the student interprets the move as an attack and defends himself.

is the student justified? given the facts as i see them, the student could be able to articulate deadly force in this situation. there appears to be only 1 or 2 swipes of the sword, the thief having injuries to the hand and chest. you can interpret the hand injury as the defenseless thief trying to block the blow, or an attempt to take the sword away and use it on the student. do we know what exactly transpired and what words were exchanged? no. so it is difficult to say for sure.

Clearly what happened here:

Guy bought a Samurai sword.
Guy wanted to see if he could kill someone with it.
Guy's playstation is stolen a few weeks ago, and this gives him an idea.
Guy lures life long thief back to his house with promises of sex and money.
Theif takes the bait.
Guy kills thief in cold blood.
Guy will kill again.
And he will get more precise.
More surgical.
He will think he's an artist.

Happens all the time.

2.) student was blocking the exit armed with a sword, and had called the police beforehand, the thief may or may not know this

He did not call the police.

The Johns Hopkins University undergraduate didn't run. He didn't call the police. He grabbed his samurai sword.

5.) the thief is caught and trapped by a person wielding a sword, he may or may not know if the police are coming, yet he still makes some kind of move towards the student, instead of just giving up "ok im caught", that sort of thing. the move might have been just an attempt to escape, or it might have been an offensive move towards the student with unknown intentions.

I'm not sure I would qualify this as a "fact". It's a he said/ he said scenario and one is dead. Self defense is a pretty easy defense when one is dead.

He did not call the police.

you're right, my fault. still, the thief didnt know that one way or another. the situation may have been diffused if he had called and told the thief that. and yet, it might've turned more violent. who knows?

I'm not sure I would qualify this as a "fact". It's a he said/ he said scenario and one is dead. Self defense is a pretty easy defense when one is dead.

true, the student could have just walked in and kill billed the thief in cold blood and risk being charged with murder 1 and lying to the police in his account of what happened. or it could have happened like he said with the thief making some kind of move at him. which side the wounds support is subject to interpretation.

you're right, my fault. still, the thief didnt know that one way or another. the situation may have been difused if he had called and told the thief that. and yet, it might've turned more violent. who knows?

I think him not calling the cops leads me to believe the person could be in a much more "attack first" mode than someone who had. If all I had was a sword, knowing they may have a gun, cops would have been my first move. I wouldn't confront and wait for a lunge. If there was only one way out, why not close the door until the cops come?

Sorry, far too many ways out of this situation without death for me to think it was purely an innocent act of self defense. No call, no verbal warning, one swipe and not a stab, etc...

Clearly what happened here:

Guy bought a Samurai sword.
Guy wanted to see if he could kill someone with it.
Guy's playstation is stolen a few weeks ago, and this gives him an idea.
Guy lures life long thief back to his house with promises of sex and money.
Theif takes the bait.
Guy kills thief in cold blood.
Guy will kill again.
And he will get more precise.
More surgical.
He will think he's an artist.

Happens all the time.

:wave:

I find it astonishing and appalling how quickly many of you sided with the robber. Why act so morally high and mighty over this? The guy was a repeat offender and clearly could have done harm to the guy. What the hell kind of world do you live in where you think a confrontation with a robber isn't going to end in someone being harmed?

I find it astonishing and appalling how quickly many of you sided with the robber.
Please show me one poster who has sided with the thief.

The guy was a repeat offender and clearly could have done harm to the guy.
When does "robber" = assault?

What the hell kind of world do you live in where you think a confrontation with a robber isn't going to end in someone being harmed?

I've dealt with thieves that didn't end in any physical confrontation. Why are you mistaken the two to be the same?

I find it astonishing and appalling how quickly many of you sided with the robber.

Maybe I didn't read the story closely enough but my impression was that he was committing theft and not robbery in this instance?

I read the article.

It sounds like the dead man has been a thief most of his life.

It also sounds like the student was in no real danger of bodily harm. That he chose to kill this man to prevent him from stealing from him. Or more likely fleeing.

Do shop owners have a right to kill shop lifters?

I imagine there are few in here reading this that a one time or another lifted a couple of things.

are shoplifiting from walmart and breaking into someone's house and stealing something the same thing?

yeah they are both theft, but stores expect to be ripped off and allocate a certain amount each year in losses. everyday people get hurt more when something is stolen from them.

have i shoplifted before? maybe once <$10. have i stolen from another person? no way. almost nothing feels worse than when you have something stolen from you. im not saying it was ok for the student to slice the guy up just for stealing alone (if the thief did in fact make some kind of "move" than he was justified). but am i upset we lost another thief? no.

Back
Top Bottom