Stephen Hawking Accepts Post at Canadian Physics Institute

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VintagePunk

Blue Crack Distributor
I go to school in the same city - how exciting for the physics community there, I'm thrilled for them!

TheStar.com | sciencetech | Physicist Stephen Hawking accepts post at Waterloo institute

Physicist Stephen Hawking accepts post at Waterloo institute

Nov 27, 2008 04:01 PM
Comments on this story (9)
THE CANADIAN PRESS

WATERLOO, Ont. – Canada's profile in the international physics community got a huge boost today as renowned "superstar" cosmologist Stephen Hawking accepted a research post at the country's "crown jewel" of theoretical physics study.

Hawking will hold the title of distinguished research chair at the prestigious Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics. The role will see him make regular visits to the southwestern Ontario city, beginning next summer.

"The appointment marks a new phase in our recruitment that will see leading scientists from around the world establish a second research home at Perimeter Institute," said institute director Neil Turok.

"I am delighted that Stephen has agreed to accept the first of a projected 40 such visiting chairs."

Shelley Page, the president of the Canadian Association of Physicists, said it's an exciting development for the physics community and for the country as a whole to have such a great mind coming to Canada.

"He's one of the few sort of recognized physics superstars," Page said.

"Stephen Hawking is probably one of the most famous contemporary theoretical physicists. He's sort of a household name, which is a feat in and of itself in such an abstract and theoretical discipline."

Having someone like Hawking associated with the Perimeter Institute, which Page called the "crown jewel in our theoretical physics resource portfolio," will serve to increase Canada's standing in the global physics community.

"That will just further help to attract even more prestigious international theorists to work in Canada," she said.

Rumours in the summer that Hawking would be moving to Canada were discounted by his aides at the time.

The famed cosmologist will retire from his prestigious post at Cambridge University next year.

Hawking, 66, is currently Lucasian Professor of Mathematics at the famed British university, a title once held by the great 18th-century physicist Isaac Newton.

He became a scientific celebrity through his theories on black holes and the nature of time, work that he carried on despite becoming paralyzed by motor neurone disease.

His 1988 book "A Brief History of Time" was an international bestseller; "A Briefer History of Time," intended to be more accessible, followed in 2005.

Hawking first earned prominence for his theoretical work on black holes. Disproving the belief that black holes are so dense that nothing could escape their gravitational pull, he showed that black holes leak a tiny bit of light and other types of radiation, now known as Hawking radiation.

The Perimeter Institute is a research centre devoted to theoretical physics that was founded in 1999 by Research In Motion co-CEO Mike Lazaridis.

More can be found here:
Stephen Hawking to Regularly Visit Perimeter Institute as Distinguished Research Chair - Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics

Are you at Laurier?

This is very cool news, lots of good stuff happening in Waterloo.

Lots of my friends went to Waterloo for undergrad, I think most liked it. Having spent 3 years in London, I'm not the biggest fan of southwest Ontario (too small for my liking and being in the snow belt totally blows), but it was a really good time as a student. :)

Being a mature student doing an almost 3 hour daily commute, I didn't really get to take advantage of much of the off-campus life, but what little I was exposed to, I really liked.

In our department, anyway, there's been a fairly large number of undergrads who have chosen to stay there for grad school. There seems to be a lot of satisfaction with the program and faculty overall. But I hear you about the snow. Waterloo's usually much snowier than where I am.

I was listening to a physics PhD elaborate on Hawkings relative insignificance in the scheme of things, I couldn't understand or comprehend.

Back
Top Bottom