SPLIT--> Illegal Immigration - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-09-2008, 07:34 PM   #1
War Child
 
TheEdge U2JT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: In a house filled with boys, guitars, pets and a lot of love!
Posts: 947
Local Time: 07:28 PM
SPLIT--> Illegal Immigration

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Gray Davis was better at his job than the one we have now.
If he was so good, he would not have gotten booted. Drivers licenses for illegals was enough to tell me about the quality of his judgment.
__________________

__________________
TheEdge U2JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:36 PM   #2
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,338
Local Time: 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge U2JT View Post
If he was so good, he would not have gotten booted.
__________________

__________________
martha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:37 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,297
Local Time: 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge U2JT View Post
If he was so good, he would not have gotten booted. Drivers licenses for illegals was enough to tell me about the quality of his judgment.
Maybe this is something you can explain to me since it's an argument I don't get at all.

If you have millions of illegals and you know they are there and you know they are driving, why wouldn't you want them to actually be properly tested, licensed and insured on the roads?
__________________
anitram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:45 PM   #4
War Child
 
TheEdge U2JT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: In a house filled with boys, guitars, pets and a lot of love!
Posts: 947
Local Time: 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Maybe this is something you can explain to me since it's an argument I don't get at all.

If you have millions of illegals and you know they are there and you know they are driving, why wouldn't you want them to actually be properly tested, licensed and insured on the roads?
You have got to be kidding? Yeah, getting car insurance, so they are abiding by the CA state law requiring it, I'm sure is very high up on the list of desires for illegals in this state. Why dont we give them all Social Security numbers too? Hell, since we are in the giving mood for people that are breaking the law, lets allow them to vote too.
__________________
TheEdge U2JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:52 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,297
Local Time: 10:28 PM
It seems to me like the alternative is to bury your head in the sand.

These people are not going anywhere. That is the reality whether you like it or not. You won't be massively deporting tens of millions of people.

That said, what is the most reasonable way of dealing with them? Why do you think none of them want to be insured? Seems to me that most of them would love to be fully participating members of the American society.

I have very much enjoyed living in the US. The people are very nice and much more welcoming than in most other places in the world (sorry, Europeans). But I think that there is a lot of really deep xenophobia in the US that I think is really ugly, it reminds me of some places in Europe actually in that regard.
__________________
anitram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:55 PM   #6
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge U2JT View Post
You have got to be kidding? Yeah, getting car insurance, so they are abiding by the CA state law requiring it, I'm sure is very high up on the list of desires for illegals in this state. Why dont we give them all Social Security numbers too? Hell, since we are in the giving mood for people that are breaking the law, lets allow them to vote too.
So the best thing to do is close your eyes and hope an unskilled uninsured driver doesn't hit you? That makes a lot of sense...
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:07 PM   #7
War Child
 
TheEdge U2JT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: In a house filled with boys, guitars, pets and a lot of love!
Posts: 947
Local Time: 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
So the best thing to do is close your eyes and hope an unskilled uninsured driver doesn't hit you? That makes a lot of sense...
Your kidding too right? So getting a license makes you a better driver? Have you ever been on a freeway in LA??

Do you really feel giving legal documentation to people the are illegally in this country is a good idea? If they would be willing to go through the process of getting a license, shouldn't they be willing to go through the process of getting a green card and coming into the country legally?
__________________
TheEdge U2JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:11 PM   #8
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,238
Local Time: 09:28 PM
They're already here, though.
__________________
Diemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:12 PM   #9
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge U2JT View Post
Your kidding too right? So getting a license makes you a better driver? Have you ever been on a freeway in LA??

Do you really feel giving legal documentation to people the are illegally in this country is a good idea? If they would be willing to go through the process of getting a license, shouldn't they be willing to go through the process of getting a green card and coming into the country legally?
No, a license does not guarantee a better driver, but it insures you that they at least have a basic knowledge of the laws and have driven a car before.

Do you know the process of getting a green card? It's not at easy as going to the DMV. In fact most of these programs proposed that it be part of the process of becoming legal.

I'm not sure why anyone in their right mind would want them to just continue driving without knowledge of the laws and uninsured. I think it's a great first step.
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:17 PM   #10
War Child
 
TheEdge U2JT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: In a house filled with boys, guitars, pets and a lot of love!
Posts: 947
Local Time: 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
No, a license does not guarantee a better driver, but it insures you that they at least have a basic knowledge of the laws and have driven a car before.

Do you know the process of getting a green card? It's not at easy as going to the DMV. In fact most of these programs proposed that it be part of the process of becoming legal.

I'm not sure why anyone in their right mind would want them to just continue driving without knowledge of the laws and uninsured. I think it's a great first step.
So if we were to give them licenses, do you feel it would be fair for them to be able to read and speak English or do we give in and have the test in Spanish?
__________________
TheEdge U2JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:18 PM   #11
Blue Crack Distributor
 
VintagePunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In a dry and waterless place
Posts: 55,732
Local Time: 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge U2JT View Post
Your kidding too right? So getting a license makes you a better driver? Have you ever been on a freeway in LA??

Do you really feel giving legal documentation to people the are illegally in this country is a good idea? If they would be willing to go through the process of getting a license, shouldn't they be willing to go through the process of getting a green card and coming into the country legally?
I wasn't aware that Lou Dobbs had registered for an account, here.
__________________
VintagePunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:22 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,297
Local Time: 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge U2JT View Post
So if we were to give them licenses, do you feel it would be fair for them to be able to read and speak English or do we give in and have the test in Spanish?
People in Canada are able to take the written portion of the test in a multitude of languages.

But then again we also have universal healthcare and legalized gay marriage so we're probably a lost cause.
__________________
anitram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:22 PM   #13
War Child
 
TheEdge U2JT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: In a house filled with boys, guitars, pets and a lot of love!
Posts: 947
Local Time: 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
I wasn't aware that Lou Dobbs had registered for an account, here.
That's Mr Dobbs to you. Show some respect
__________________
TheEdge U2JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:28 PM   #14
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Lila64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ♥Set List Lane♥
Posts: 52,710
Local Time: 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
So the best thing to do is close your eyes and hope an unskilled uninsured driver doesn't hit you? That makes a lot of sense...

Back in the 80s/90s my dad got into an accident from an uninsured, possibly unlicensed (I can't recall that part), driver from south of the border. Don't know if he fixed the car or not (if it was just cosmetic damage).

__________________
Lila64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:51 PM   #15
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge U2JT View Post
So if we were to give them licenses, do you feel it would be fair for them to be able to read and speak English or do we give in and have the test in Spanish?
We've had English and Spanish driver's test since the 80's here in TX, but you know, Texas is such a liberal state.
__________________

__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com