Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2008, 08:45 PM   #76
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge U2JT View Post
Yeah, this will sound harsh but it is not my problem if you're from another country and cannot feed your kid. My country has programs to help people in situations like that. My tax dollars go to programs to help my fellow Americans that need a helping hand.

Also, many of these people who come here illegally are paying "coyotes," illegal immigrant smugglers 100's and 1000's of dollars to sneak them across the border. Where is that money coming from??
If people want open borders, it's okay but without social programs. As soon as you have social programs there is a tragedy of the commons that occurs forcing you to have limits on immigration and borders. Free rides can't last forever.

The liberal argument is usually "hey they are here already so lets allow them to stay." Also they like to shame people for the idea of deportation. Can you imagine the news coverage if most of the illegal immigrants were deported over a year. The sob stories would accumulate and the guilt would make the majority agree to more amnesty. Millions of illegals are a lot to deport.

All limits on immigration will be half measures for the forseeable future. The only viable reform will apply to people who are wanting to come illegally and haven't done so yet, but not those who already arrived.

Hopefully one day Mexico will have better governments and more jobs so people don't actually want to leave.

In Canada legal immigrants have a tough time because a lot of their education is applicable but professional associations often require them to start all over again. The wealthy want immigrant workers and the poor look at them as competition.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:03 PM   #77
War Child

Location: In a house filled with boys, guitars, pets and a lot of love!
Local Time: 12:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
This seems to me to be more of an argument against immigrants in general than necessarily illegal immigration. I doubt we'd ever be able to parse what percentage of that money is getting sent by illegal immigrants, but even fully legal immigrants send money to their families in their home countries. I know quite a few myself who do so. Should we discourage them from doing so?
I know that one cannot account what amount is from illegal immigrants verses legal. Regardless of the status, 2 Billion per month going away from the US economy is staggering. These funds are the 2nd largest source of foreign income for Mexico. 2nd Largest! That is insane. There is no service provided. No goods that come in to our country. This money is lost to our economy.

I'm not saying that immigrants living legally in the US should not send money to family in Mexico. However, you need to be realistic with the numbers. 2 BILLION. $2,000,000,000 per month. If many of theses people, legal or not, are "working the low wage jobs that American won't do?" How much do they really make? How much can they afford to send and pay their bills, buy food, etc? It just makes that 2 Billion look bigger and bigger.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:06 PM   #78
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Homework, Por Favor by Heather Mac Donald on National Review Online

Re: Hispanics and Education.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:55 PM   #79
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
This has nothing to do with illegal immigration. Really it just sounds liked veiled racism.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:01 PM   #80
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
However, you need to be realistic with the numbers. 2 BILLION. $2,000,000,000 per month. If many of theses people, legal or not, are "working the low wage jobs that American won't do?" How much do they really make? How much can they afford to send and pay their bills, buy food, etc? It just makes that 2 Billion look bigger and bigger.
This number doesn't make sense to me. Do we have another source? Grab a calculator and find out how many folks need to be sending per month... It just doesn't add up.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:53 PM   #81
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
This has nothing to do with illegal immigration. Really it just sounds liked veiled racism.
How did I know that this was coming
Old 10-04-2008, 02:00 PM   #82
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
How did I know that this was coming
Because you're smart enough to realize it had nothing to do with illegal immigration as well
Old 10-04-2008, 02:02 PM   #83
War Child

Quote:
This number doesn't make sense to me. Do we have another source? Grab a calculator and find out how many folks need to be sending per month... It just doesn't add up.
It may not make sense to you, but it is what it is. This is info from the Bank of Mexico and it a stat that has been tracked for 12 years! It cannot be passed it off as jaded info from some right-wing group with an agenda.

The problem is that is does add up.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:06 PM   #84
War Child

Quote:
Because you're smart enough to realize it had nothing to do with illegal immigration as well
At the same time, it has nothing to do with racism. Personally I think it only serves to diminish real cases of racism when people throw the race card around so recklessly.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:14 PM   #85
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:48 AM
Quote:
I'm not saying that immigrants living legally in the US should not send money to family in Mexico. However, you need to be realistic with the numbers. 2 BILLION. $2,000,000,000 per month. If many of theses people, legal or not, are "working the low wage jobs that American won't do?" How much do they really make? How much can they afford to send and pay their bills, buy food, etc? It just makes that 2 Billion look bigger and bigger.
You should be more concerned about corporations who ship jobs to other countries than how much money is being sent to help the families of immigrants - illegal or not.
My grandmother sends her family money every time she can save enough to do so. It's none of your business, his business, my business, their business, the government's business, anybody's freaking business what she does with her money in the first place. Isn't that what the Republicans are about? Whenever I scoff at these idiots slamming their gas pedals in a big Hummer my dad rants at me not to get mad because if they can afford it, then who gives a shit?
If an immigrant can afford to send money to his family back home, then so be it. He still has to contribute to the economy just by living here, illegal or not.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:53 PM   #86
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
The results of better grades will help hispanics. I'm sure the hispanics who did go in the normal stream and succeeded wouldn't want to go back.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:24 PM   #87
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
At the same time, it has nothing to do with racism. Personally I think it only serves to diminish real cases of racism when people throw the race card around so recklessly.
Did you read the article? It's nothing but racial paranoia. Then you put it in the context of this thread and it just sounds like, look here is another reason to stop the Mexicans from coming in for they'll destroy higher education.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:25 PM   #88
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Edge View Post
You should be more concerned about corporations who ship jobs to other countries than how much money is being sent to help the families of immigrants - illegal or not.
My grandmother sends her family money every time she can save enough to do so. It's none of your business, his business, my business, their business, the government's business, anybody's freaking business what she does with her money in the first place. Isn't that what the Republicans are about? Whenever I scoff at these idiots slamming their gas pedals in a big Hummer my dad rants at me not to get mad because if they can afford it, then who gives a shit?
If an immigrant can afford to send money to his family back home, then so be it. He still has to contribute to the economy just by living here, illegal or not.
Sure, I wish more companies were able to stay in the US, but who's fault is that? It's seems most on the left see companies as the bad guys. "No, dont give them a tax break or incentives!" That's Obama's plan and the result is companies pack up and move and jobs are lost.

Lets look at companies that are shipping job out. We, Americans, are seeking products but we dont want to pay a premium. Go to a Wal-Mart or Target on any given weekend and you'll find the place packed. We want things inexpensive. The company I work for had to move production from near Boston, MA to China. If we did not, we could not price our product competitively and we'd ALL be out of jobs. Are you willing to pay more for what you buy for it to be made in the US? When you are bitching about that Hummer, are you and your family driving American cars and supporting domestic workers? Do you let your actions match your words?

The work is may be done elsewhere but the US is provided with goods at a reasonable cost. We get something for that contributes to our economy. Money shipped to Mexico give us NOTHING.

No, it is not my business what you Grandma does. I couldn't care less what she does. But when pro-immigration people make the argument that immigrants are contributing to the US economy yet 2 Billion a month is going back to Mexico, that argument is pure BS.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:25 PM   #89
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
The results of better grades will help hispanics. I'm sure the hispanics who did go in the normal stream and succeeded wouldn't want to go back.
What does this have to do with the article, or this thread?
Old 10-04-2008, 03:28 PM   #90
War Child

Quote:
What does this have to do with the article, or this thread?
Did you even read the article?