SPLIT--> Illegal Immigration - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-10-2008, 01:14 AM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
mobvok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: boom clap
Posts: 4,433
Local Time: 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
I think I gave colonialism a shoutout.
The phrase "American Exceptionalism" suggests something exclusive to America- but Britain used to be top dog. And in the 40s and 50s, America offered a familiar language, and similar principles of free trade/government. Yeah English has dominated through the spread of American culture, but the British Empire contributed a favorable environment for that spread. And that contribution from a foreign nation, no matter how big or how small, contradicts the idea of national Exceptionalism.
__________________

__________________
mobvok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:24 AM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
U2DMfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: It's Inside A Black Hole
Posts: 6,637
Local Time: 03:38 PM
I had European ancestors who came to this country in the 18th century on their own accord. When they got here they were basically allowed free reign to make a life for themselves as long as they obeyed the law. There was no immigration policy.

signed,
nearly all of White America
__________________

__________________
U2DMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:26 AM   #48
War Child
 
TheEdge U2JT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: In a house filled with boys, guitars, pets and a lot of love!
Posts: 947
Local Time: 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
At least you are honest. Hey man sorry, you were born 5 miles the wrong way you don't deserve the opportunies I have. Once again if it was you, you probably wouldn't be singing the same tune.

Oh, and because you want to be vendictive and not allow amnesty be prepared for food prices, manual labor, construction costs, etc to start to rise.
You can say those things would rise but if you eliminate all the people that are here illegally the burden on our resources would be eased. Less traffic...we clearly saw this effect on the "day without immigrants" last year. Electricity, Water, Gas, Public services, Education funds,...there is a positive effect on all of it. We could pay more for food and services if we are not getting hit in all the other areas. Supply and demand.


[/QUOTE]Truth? A lot of times it's from Americans who like the cheap labor. It's cheaper to bring the whole family over rather than pay a fair wage.[/QUOTE]

Back at ya...Truth? Yeah, 12 Million illegals brought over by businesses looking for cheap labor. No, more often it is one coming here, getting a job and shipping all their money back south of the border for the next family member to be smuggled across. It is a fact that an insane amount of money from immigrants in California ends up back in Mexico. So much for these hard working immigrants investing back in the local economy.


I live in an area with an extremely high number of immigrants from the Far East. There is a large Koren population in the area. These people don't seem to have any problem going through the process to come here legally. I also know that they make an immediate effort to learn English. How is it they can do it? I know Canadians who are here working in the LA area...they did it legally too.
__________________
TheEdge U2JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:29 AM   #49
War Child
 
TheEdge U2JT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: In a house filled with boys, guitars, pets and a lot of love!
Posts: 947
Local Time: 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
You're right, it does sound harsh. What would Jesus do? Isn't that what you Christians ask yourselves? Or is human compassion bounded by borders?
OK, so your saying that, as a Christian, I need to open up to all these people that cannot feed their kids? Maybe I should let them all stay at my house?
__________________
TheEdge U2JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:33 AM   #50
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,238
Local Time: 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge U2JT View Post
OK, so your saying that, as a Christian, I need to open up to all these people that cannot feed their kids? Maybe I should let them all stay at my house?
To be honest, if we're going to follow the 'letter of the law' so to speak as far as the Bible's message and Christianity goes, shouldn't the answer to that be yes?
__________________
Diemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:44 AM   #51
Blue Crack Distributor
 
VintagePunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In a dry and waterless place
Posts: 55,732
Local Time: 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge U2JT View Post
OK, so your saying that, as a Christian, I need to open up to all these people that cannot feed their kids? Maybe I should let them all stay at my house?
Of course not. You're not even in favour of a benevolent government program that would accomplish some good for these people and requires absolutely no effort on your part whatsoever, so why would I think you would actively do something to help?
__________________
VintagePunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:52 AM   #52
Blue Crack Distributor
 
VintagePunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In a dry and waterless place
Posts: 55,732
Local Time: 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
To be honest, if we're going to follow the 'letter of the law' so to speak as far as the Bible's message and Christianity goes, shouldn't the answer to that be yes?
Well, it should be, but we'll just conveniently ignore that.
__________________
VintagePunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:01 AM   #53
War Child
 
TheEdge U2JT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: In a house filled with boys, guitars, pets and a lot of love!
Posts: 947
Local Time: 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
To be honest, if we're going to follow the 'letter of the law' so to speak as far as the Bible's message and Christianity goes, shouldn't the answer to that be yes?

Yes. I would love to help everyone in the world but that it not possible. Also, I will not be made to feel guilty because I was born in the United State. I'm blessed in that way. I have had great opportunity but I have also worked hard for it. I'm sure there is an opinion from some in here that I'm some cold hearted SOB that does not care about people in need. No one knows the charities that my wife and I give to and causes we support for people in need. Its sad that some will view an opinion on people coming to the US illegally as something to question a persons character.

I'm asked about amnesty, I say yes, and provide some reasonable rules and changes to our system. Do we have a rational debate about it..NO. Not even close! What I do get is attacked with what about a person trying to feed their kid? Way to go for the emotional, you cant be heartless enough to say a child should starve ploy! I though there could be a reasonable discussion about this but I was clearly wrong. I give up!
__________________
TheEdge U2JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:13 AM   #54
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,238
Local Time: 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge U2JT View Post
Yes. I would love to help everyone in the world but that it not possible. Also, I will not be made to feel guilty because I was born in the United State. I'm blessed in that way. I have had great opportunity but I have also worked hard for it. I'm sure there is an opinion from some in here that I'm some cold hearted SOB that does not care about people in need. No one knows the charities that my wife and I give to and causes we support for people in need. Its sad that some will view an opinion on people coming to the US illegally as something to question a persons character.

I'm asked about amnesty, I say yes, and provide some reasonable rules and changes to our system. Do we have a rational debate about it..NO. Not even close! What I do get is attacked with what about a person trying to feed their kid? Way to go for the emotional, you cant be heartless enough to say a child should starve ploy! I though there could be a reasonable discussion about this but I was clearly wrong. I give up!
I hope you didn't take my comments as a personal attack. I'm definitely guilty of falling short in that respect as well. It's just that, well yes, I think if many who identify themselves as Christians truly were living up to the badge, then yes, opening up to those who can't feed their children and opening up our homes to those less fortunate might not be such a radical concept. Even those who may have done wrong/committed crimes.

But I don't want to turn this into a debate on Christianity. My apologies.
__________________
Diemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:20 AM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobvok View Post
The phrase "American Exceptionalism" suggests something exclusive to America- but Britain used to be top dog. And in the 40s and 50s, America offered a familiar language, and similar principles of free trade/government. Yeah English has dominated through the spread of American culture, but the British Empire contributed a favorable environment for that spread. And that contribution from a foreign nation, no matter how big or how small, contradicts the idea of national Exceptionalism.
Don't get me wrong. I'm "Mr. Defender of Western Civilization," I only feel the United States has become the latest holder of the baton in championing and moving it forward.
"American exceptionalism" has become a bit of a FYM inside joke where I play the old school "truth, justice and the American way" Superman to their moral-equivalence/multicultural/liberal-guilt-laden Lex Luthors.
__________________
INDY500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:54 AM   #56
Blue Crack Distributor
 
VintagePunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In a dry and waterless place
Posts: 55,732
Local Time: 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge U2JT View Post
Yes. I would love to help everyone in the world but that it not possible. Also, I will not be made to feel guilty because I was born in the United State. I'm blessed in that way. I have had great opportunity but I have also worked hard for it. I'm sure there is an opinion from some in here that I'm some cold hearted SOB that does not care about people in need. No one knows the charities that my wife and I give to and causes we support for people in need. Its sad that some will view an opinion on people coming to the US illegally as something to question a persons character.

I'm asked about amnesty, I say yes, and provide some reasonable rules and changes to our system. Do we have a rational debate about it..NO. Not even close! What I do get is attacked with what about a person trying to feed their kid? Way to go for the emotional, you cant be heartless enough to say a child should starve ploy! I though there could be a reasonable discussion about this but I was clearly wrong. I give up!
I don't think you were attacked at all. All we did was point out the stark contrast between the way that you as a Christian should feel empathy for, and strive to ease the suffering of others according to the tenets of your religion (even in ways that really require no effort from you personally, at all), and the way you actually do feel about *some* of those less fortunate, from a political perspective. I would also like to point out that you were the one who came booming into this forum, proclaiming yourself a "conservative Christian." If you hadn't brought it up, it never would have been an issue.

And, therein lies the problem that I have with many conservative Christian types, certainly not just you. They seem to readily pick and choose who is deserving of that Christian understanding and charity, and who is not.
__________________
VintagePunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:58 AM   #57
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Lila64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ♥Set List Lane♥
Posts: 52,710
Local Time: 02:38 PM
__________________
Lila64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:06 AM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
mobvok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: boom clap
Posts: 4,433
Local Time: 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Don't get me wrong. I'm "Mr. Defender of Western Civilization," I only feel the United States has become the latest holder of the baton in championing and moving it forward.
"American exceptionalism" has become a bit of a FYM inside joke where I play the old school "truth, justice and the American way" Superman to their moral-equivalence/multicultural/liberal-guilt-laden Lex Luthors.
Ahh...ok then.
__________________
mobvok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:59 AM   #59
Jesus Online
 
Angela Harlem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: a glass castle
Posts: 30,163
Local Time: 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
That's not a horse, that's a dinosaur. Don't you agnostics know ANYTHING about science?



What, horses evolved from dinosaurs???
__________________
<a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/angelaharlem/thPaul_Roos28.jpg target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...aul_Roos28.jpg</a>
Angela Harlem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:06 AM   #60
Jesus Online
 
Angela Harlem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: a glass castle
Posts: 30,163
Local Time: 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
To be honest, if we're going to follow the 'letter of the law' so to speak as far as the Bible's message and Christianity goes, shouldn't the answer to that be yes?
If you're going to combine this with the modern and practical doable route, isn't the next best thing to simply do as much as you can? As much as you can being supporting or pushing for changes in immigration law, to open your borders a little wider so that these millions may have a legal and fighting chance of helping themselves to a better life? I know no one wants to drag this down with the religious predicaments it raises, but how does this work, that the Christian right are not compelled by virtue of their own natures to reach out and try for change? How do you turn away from these illegal immigrants saying 'Sorry, illegal, no time for your story. Go home and start again the right way'? There is no Christianity in such closed-door views. There just isn't.
__________________

__________________
<a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/angelaharlem/thPaul_Roos28.jpg target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...aul_Roos28.jpg</a>
Angela Harlem is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com