Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2008, 12:19 AM   #31
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Is there any greater proof of American exceptionalism than the fact that over the past 50 years people all over the world have felt the need to learn English, our language. In fact, English is now spoken by more people as a second language than as a native language.
Why is this, well because we have been at the forefront of technology, we have the largest economy and because, for good or bad, our popular culture reaches around the world. Previous superpowers spread their language through colonialism. We do it through the power of our ideas.

There are many reasons why Americans haven't taken to foreign language study, the most obvious being what I just said, why learn their language when they can speak ours. But also isolation. We have two borders and one of those we share with another English speaking country. But you can find plenty of bilingual Americans living on our Southern border or around Quebec.

By the way, Barack Obama only speaks one language and he wants to be president of the world one day.
I'm not sure what to say. I've never seen such arrogance and ignorance in one post before, also with a touch of glorifying laziness...

Well done

Old 09-10-2008, 12:22 AM   #32
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge U2JT View Post
I wont even dignify this garbage with a comment.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:27 AM   #33
War Child

Location: In a house filled with boys, guitars, pets and a lot of love!
Local Time: 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
Why is it garbage? Are you saying that's not the scenario at least some of the time?
Yeah, this will sound harsh but it is not my problem if you're from another country and cannot feed your kid. My country has programs to help people in situations like that. My tax dollars go to programs to help my fellow Americans that need a helping hand.

Also, many of these people who come here illegally are paying "coyotes," illegal immigrant smugglers 100's and 1000's of dollars to sneak them across the border. Where is that money coming from??
Old 09-10-2008, 12:34 AM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Is there any greater proof of American exceptionalism than the fact that over the past 50 years people all over the world have felt the need to learn English, our language. In fact, English is now spoken by more people as a second language than as a native language.
Why is this, well because we have been at the forefront of technology and science, we have the largest economy and because, for good or bad, our popular culture reaches around the world. Previous superpowers spread their language through colonialism. We do it through the power of our ideas.
Yes, English. "Our language". A more modest person might suggest centuries of world wide British Imperial rule might *also* have created a favorable opportunity for English to take hold.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:38 AM   #35
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobvok View Post
Yes, English. "Our language". A more modest person might suggest centuries of world wide British Imperial rule might *also* have created a favorable opportunity for English to take hold.
What are you doing? No facts allowed...
Old 09-10-2008, 12:46 AM   #36
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Yeah, this will sound harsh but it is not my problem if you're from another country and cannot feed your kid. My country has programs to help people in situations like that. My tax dollars go to programs to help my fellow Americans that need a helping hand.
At least you are honest. Hey man sorry, you were born 5 miles the wrong way you don't deserve the opportunies I have. Once again if it was you, you probably wouldn't be singing the same tune.

Oh, and because you want to be vendictive and not allow amnesty be prepared for food prices, manual labor, construction costs, etc to start to rise.

Quote:
Also, many of these people who come here illegally are paying "coyotes," illegal immigrant smugglers 100's and 1000's of dollars to sneak them across the border. Where is that money coming from??
Truth? A lot of times it's from Americans who like the cheap labor. It's cheaper to bring the whole family over rather than pay a fair wage.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:48 AM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
I'm not sure what to say. I've never seen such arrogance and ignorance in one post before, also with a touch of glorifying laziness...

Well done
I can only assume you're too lazy to point out specific inaccuracies or alternative reasoning.

For instance, you might say that English is spoken around the world because it borrows so heavily from Latin, French, Scandinavian, Low German and other languages which they may already be familiar with.

Do you need any more help shooting me down?
Old 09-10-2008, 12:53 AM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobvok View Post
I think I gave colonialism a shoutout.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:55 AM   #39
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I can only assume you're too lazy to point out specific inaccuracies or alternative reasoning.

For instance, you might say that English is spoken around the world because it borrows so heavily from Latin, French, Scandinavian, Low German and other languages which they may already be familiar with.

Do you need anymore help shooting me down?
Believe me I started a point by point debate, but then erased it and decided it wasn't worth my time.

You are an intelligent man, and I don't think you even agree with what you wrote 100%.

One example: I know you don't believe fully that we are at the forefront of technology at this point given some of your previous posts in FYM.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:57 AM   #40
BAW
The Flower

Quote:

Where is it coming from? Mostly from relatives that are already here, working their asses off for a better life, saving up sometimes for years...you know, the people who pick our fruit, wash our cars, mow our lawns, wash the dishes and cook the food in the restaurants we eat in, the maids who clean our hotel rooms.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:57 AM   #41
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:28 AM
Quote:

You're right, it does sound harsh. What would Jesus do? Isn't that what you Christians ask yourselves? Or is human compassion bounded by borders?
Old 09-10-2008, 01:00 AM   #42
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
You're right, it does sound harsh. What would Jesus do? Isn't that what you Christians ask yourselves? Or is human compassion bounded by borders?
As we've learned, only Republicans are allowed to exploit Jesus for political purposes. Democrats are not allowed!

Old 09-10-2008, 01:04 AM   #43
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by melon View Post
As we've learned, only Republicans are allowed to exploit Jesus for political purposes. Democrats are not allowed!

If I could only count the number of times on here that I've been directly or indirectly told that I have no morals because I'm agnostic. But whatever. Glory to Jesus and his horse, and let the poor people die.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:07 AM   #44
Blue Crack Distributor

That's not a horse, that's a dinosaur. Don't you agnostics know ANYTHING about science?

Old 09-10-2008, 01:10 AM   #45
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
That's not a horse, that's a dinosaur. Don't you agnostics know ANYTHING about science?