Speed Cameras. Coming soon to your town?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh noez, speed kameraz! Big Brother! That'll nevar work!

This thread is hilarious. Despite occasional howls of "revenue raising!" from the furious few who don't want to be punished for breaking the law (wow, how dare the police issue you with a fine for driving too fast), speed cameras work just fine in Australia and New Zealand.

They nail you for that little over? :yikes: I'd be toast!

Usually here you're ok if you are within 5-10 mph over on highways and within 5 mph over everywhere else (except maybe in school zones). I suppose with the cameras though maybe that cushion would disappear. :(

Well I was actually 7kms over, but they wipe off 3 to account for irregularities... still a killer though. I don't really speed much.

Also, in some places (our town included) people have started cutting through neighborhoods to bypass the cameras. When they do this, they usually roll stop signs and they rarely observe the 25mph limits. Now they've started speed bumping the neighborhoods (yet another expense) but of course those slow down the emergency vehicles.

Are those people sick or just stupid? Can't they slow the fuck down for just a minute to be within limits? Let alone they are probably losing time or are at least even since they have to detour. I honestly don't understand such people.
And hitting the brakes even if you're not above the limit? Sure they feel safe to drive?

They nail you for that little over? :yikes: I'd be toast!

Usually here you're ok if you are within 5-10 mph over on highways and within 5 mph over everywhere else (except maybe in school zones). I suppose with the cameras though maybe that cushion would disappear. :(

In 2006 Victoria, at least, started a campaign to make aware of the dangers that occur if you're constantly 5k above, like longer braking distance and such. I guess that's why they fine that as well.
It doesn't come with the introduction of cameras. Here you're fine as long as you are less than 10kmh over. Then you start paying and from 21kmh on you start adding points.

This thread is hilarious. Despite occasional howls of "revenue raising!" from the furious few who don't want to be punished for breaking the law (wow, how dare the police issue you with a fine for driving too fast), speed cameras work just fine in Australia and New Zealand.

to be fair though, you aren't a driver.

In 2006 Victoria, at least, started a campaign to make aware of the dangers that occur if you're constantly 5k above, like longer braking distance and such. I guess that's why they fine that as well.
It doesn't come with the introduction of cameras. Here you're fine as long as you are less than 10kmh over. Then you start paying and from 21kmh on you start adding points.

Some of those figures do get exaggerated though.

That said, I think are rules are probably better from yours. I think here it should be 5ks over, warning or something, because I copped a point for being 4 ks over, but those seem pretty damn lenient.

Come to Australia :lol: they just sit on the sides of the road eating donuts with a speed camera in tow.

I'm up for about $500 in fines, once was 54ks in a 50 zone, then 70 in a 5 zone four minutes later, and now 105 in a 100 zone, which is just bloody annoying. Everyone speeds on the freeway

errr dude havent you only had your P's like 6 months ????

If only the world was the hyper-simplified, black and white, small picture, one-sided coin that you see it as, I guess that would be the case.

It reminds me of when the right-wingers in my country say things like, "If you're not doing anything wrong, then why do you care that the government taps your phones?" If you have to ask the question, you probably wouldn't understand the answer.

As far as cameras in Au working just fine, they don't. Sorry!

Are those people sick or just stupid? Can't they slow the fuck down for just a minute to be within limits? Let alone they are probably losing time or are at least even since they have to detour. I honestly don't understand such people.
And hitting the brakes even if you're not above the limit? Sure they feel safe to drive?
I think they're a combination of frightened and stupid. They don't understand how the cameras work, so they have no idea what they need to do to avoid a ticket. Thus, they err on the side of coming almost to a complete stop.

Sometimes it's like they think there's a little man in the camera, or that there's an officer watching them real-time while looking at their record. Like maybe if they drive even slower than the already artificially reduced limit, then they'll get some sort of extra credit for good behavior.

As far as the cutting through the neighborhoods, I think that's more about principal than it is about saving time. Also, if the camera creates a traffic back-up (which it does pretty much every rush hour) then the detour probably saves time.

For the record, the roads they've chosen to post cameras on are among the safest in the county. The locations weren't chosen for their accident history, they were chosen by topography. Most of them have been posted at locations where there is a significant drop in the speed limit, and they've been places just a few yards past the sign. Other "traffic calming" measures have been proven in our county to be far more effective than the cameras (thinks like round-abouts, etc) but those don't make any money, so there's no financial incentive to use them.

The speed camera makers have also been schmoozing our local elected officials with gifts and kickbacks.

According to Maryland state lobbying disclosures, the company which runs Montgomery County's speed camera program, Texas based ACS State and Local Solutions, currently retains a team of at least 8 lobbyists at one of the state's most successful lobbying firms, Alexander & Cleaver. The State Ethics Commission releases an annual report on companies spending over 50,000 on lobbying activities, and ACS has been on that list each year from 2006-2008.

In 2007, prior to the nearly successful statewide speed camera bill, they spent $144,346.74 on lobbying activities. ACS spent an additional $81,460.13 in 2008 through October 31, 2008 on this effort. ACS's lobbying activities during the 2008 general Assembly included $6286.13 on two banquets at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse on January 29 and February 6, 2008 for members of the House Environmental Matters Senate Judicial Proceedings, House Appropriations, and Senate Budget and Taxation Committees.

Anyway, there have been some law suits and ethics investigations concerning these things. But it's bad enough to make me vote a straight republican ticket in our next state election.

RIGHT! the law is the law, right or wrong. we should never question the system.

no way some of these speed limits are set low in certain areas and then have monthy speed traps there, to ensure speeding tickets, with fines that certainly outweigh the "crime", in 1 horse towns that have no other way of raising money. no way they would do that to us!!!!

RIGHT! the law is the law, right or wrong. we should never question the system.

no way some of these speed limits are set low in certain areas and then have monthy speed traps there, to ensure speeding tickets, with fines that certainly outweigh the "crime", in 1 horse towns that have no other way of raising money. no way they would do that to us!!!!

But john, you have to realize that the government is always right, and if they decide that the speed limit on all roads should be 15mph, they have the right to do that and we shouldn't ever complain! :lol:

Speaking of low limits, the UK has already had to lower limits at a lot of camera sites because the cameras weren't catching enough people, so the camera revenue (which was already counted and spent before they'd made a dime of it) wasn't what they'd planned for. This begs the question, if 60mph was safe on Wednesday, then why isn't it still safe on Thursday? Oops! I forgot I wasn't supposed to question things.

Not to mention the fact that several states have already had to give refunds for red light tickets after they were caught reducing the yellow light duration in order to increase the number of violators.

It all depends on where you live. There's no possible way to function in PA without speeding.

Well, if I KNOW there's a speed camera somewhere, I slow down. Just like near my house there's usually a cop on a downhill road where it's easy to go over the speed limit I always drive slowly there too.

The sneakiest use of speed cameras is on some stretch of UK roads where they have average-speed cameras, so basically they time when you enter and leave a certain stretch and then calculate your average speed over that section.

And yes, GPS CAN be used to calculate speeds, again in the UK they are testing automatic speed regulators on cars over certain stretches, and GPS technology is what is being used to slow down cars.

Well, if I KNOW there's a speed camera somewhere, I slow down.
Yes, getting caught for speeding isn't the problem. It's the unforeseen (or perhaps foreseen but ignored) side-effects, like people blowing through my neighborhood to bypass the camera, or the rush hour traffic accordions (along with the ensuing fender-benders), or the problem of how to pay for the camera contracts if the cameras don't make the expected money.

The problem is that you don't need to get a ticket to be fined. If the cameras don't make what's expected of them, they it's coming out of your taxes. Just like with health care, we're all paying one way or another.

The sneakiest use of speed cameras is on some stretch of UK roads where they have average-speed cameras, so basically they time when you enter and leave a certain stretch and then calculate your average speed over that section.

And yes, GPS CAN be used to calculate speeds, again in the UK they are testing automatic speed regulators on cars over certain stretches, and GPS technology is what is being used to slow down cars.
Yep. Now that they've spend decades teaching us that some amount of speeding is both acceptable and expected (ever passed a speed trap at 5 over and been ignored? 10 over? How about the 9mph leeway built into our cameras?), they can crack down and have a guaranteed and significant stream of additional income.

I'm sorry, but this makes me quite mad. I think most people who like to speed and think like that are the usual idiots who think they're Ayrton Senna and sit behind the wheel like a racer. Or they drive a big Audi/ BMW/ Mercedes and think they get away with everything by the size of their car. They try to drive people who stick to the maximum speed off the road and cut off others. They don't give a damn about other's safety on the road. Besides, the majority of them doesn't have a training in defensive driving and if they have, it's just an arrogant excuse to drive like mad.

And when they're fined, they swear at the police officers and they claim to be such save drivers who never had an accident yet! No, they never agree with the fines they get! Stupid police officers, cyclists and pedestrians! :crack:

Because of these idiots, these speed cameras are invented. Not only in the city, but also on the highway.

By the way, in The Netherlands we have them for years and they really help!

^ yup, im an idiot who drives my car like a race car and cuts people off every chance i get, while i secretly dream about running over children playing ball in the street.

nothing like good old generalizations.

oh i will, dont worry about it.

if you actually read my posts, you'd know i said i speed when i know it is safe to. like, when there isnt heavy traffic or areas without pedestrians, schools, etc.

but, sometimes it must be hard to read between the lines.

im sure "they all" havent had extensive training and experience in tactical/defensive driving.

i dont enforce traffic laws, so dont try the "you're a cop you should set an example" argument. and where i work, traffic "laws" arent enforced and the maximum speed limit on the island is 35mph and the max you can drive safely is about 45-50mph on the 1 only straight road for about a mile and a half.

i think there just might be a little difference between speeding and reckless driving.

I'm not saying you secretly dream about doing tese things, but when someone gets reckless one doesn't care about others.

Keep on speeding, big boy!

No one is trying to defend reckless or aggressive driving. But when you can monitor a road and 95% of the people driving are over the limit by some amount, then something's wrong.

So the choices are:

1) 95% of the public are criminals, and need to be punished by the all-knowing government (which is made up of those very same people, btw)

or

2) The speed limit was not properly set based on road conditions. And FYI, speed limits are supposed to be set based on how fast people normally travel on a road.

Unfortunately, people like you who only see "speeders" and "everyone else" are what's made it easy for local governments to force these contraptions on us and put them in places where speeding and accidents were never a problem.

I'm glad your cameras are working so well for you. A lot of people thought George Bush did a fantastic job running this country. Perhaps you'd like to have him as your next president. The point is that what works well in your country won't necessarily work well in every country.

There's a section of highway in my area that has, for no reason, a half-mile stretch where the speed limit is 35 MPH. I do 50 on it every day as I go into school. If I did less I'd fuck up the traffic flow.

There's a section of highway in my area that has, for no reason, a half-mile stretch where the speed limit is 35 MPH. I do 50 on it every day as I go into school. If I did less I'd fuck up the traffic flow.

OMG!!! YOU CRIMINAL!!!!! I BET YOU WOULDNT EVEN FEEL BAD IF YOU RAN OVER SOME TODDLERS IN THE STREET!!!!!! :madwife:

Cydewaze, I was only reacting to what Bigjohn said. That made me mad. Please read! Maybe he is a careful driver, but that can't be said of most of speeders and I truly hope he is what he tells he is.
That's the only thing I wanted to say here.

I'm definately not saying that things which work here in Holland will necessarily work well abroad. That would be stupid.

I'm glad your cameras are working so well for you. A lot of people thought George Bush did a fantastic job running this country. Perhaps you'd like to have him as your next president.

I don't know where the F you get this from, but to me it draws some conclusions on your IQ.

Cydewaze, I was only reacting to what Bigjohn said. That made me mad. Maybe he is a careful driver, but that can't be said of most of speeders and I truly hope he is what he tells he is.

i feel bad for you if things strangers say on a message board make you mad, maybe you should "please read" before you get so upset. :wink:

I don't know where the F you get this from, but to me it draws some conclusions on your IQ.

My IQ is 72, thank you very much. :wink:

My comment was an analogy to point out how something that might work well here (or there) might not work well in the reverse.

I'm no fan of GWB btw.

My IQ is 72, thank you very much. :wink:

My comment was an analogy to point out how something that might work well here (or there) might not work well in the reverse.

I'm no fan of GWB btw.

like i said, it's hard to read between the lines sometimes :lol:

Back
Top Bottom