Spam Sales Soar in the USA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If things get bad, I can live on ramen noodles, Kraft mac & cheese and PB&J. I will not resort to Spam. :yuck:

Americans are buying so much Spam the Hormel factory is in overdrive.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/15/business/15spam.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

A few cases of Spam and dried beans
*and Twinkies
A country boy can survive :)

The country boy might be better off considering more nutritous alternatives, e.g. potatoes:-

A 56 gram (approximately 2 ounce) serving of original Spam provides 7 grams of protein, 2 grams of carbohydrates, 15 grams of fat (23% US Daily Value) including 6 grams of saturated fat (28% US Daily Value), and over 170 calories. A serving also contains nearly a third of the recommended daily intake of sodium (salt). Spam provides very little in terms of vitamins and minerals (0% vitamin A, 1% vitamin C, 1% calcium, 3% iron). It has been listed as a food that is a poor choice for weight loss and optimum health and as a food that "is high in saturated fat and sodium". [7]

Spam (food - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

A 56 gram (approximately 2 ounce) serving of original Spam provides 7 grams of protein, 2 grams of carbohydrates, 15 grams of fat (23% US Daily Value) including 6 grams of saturated fat (28% US Daily Value), and over 170 calories. A serving also contains nearly a third of the recommended daily intake of sodium (salt). Spam provides very little in terms of vitamins and minerals (0% vitamin A, 1% vitamin C, 1% calcium, 3% iron). It has been listed as a food that is a poor choice for weight loss and optimum health and as a food that "is high in saturated fat and sodium.

Oooh, pressed pork shoulder! Yummy! And high in saturated fat, sodium and cholesterol as an added bonus! I think I'll smoke a cigarette and have a Twinkie for dessert while I'm at it.

:| :yuck:

15spam2.450.jpg

:yuck:

It's not negative propaganda; it's a statement of fact that SPAM is disgusting - in appearance, texture, smell, and taste. :angry:

A proud history in times of utter crises and hardship. That's what it was made for. If you like the taste of it, go for it, but trying to sell it by saying it supported the troops is pretty weak.

My favourite line from the article:

Through war and recession, Americans have turned to the glistening canned product from Hormel as a way to save money while still putting something that resembles meat on the table.

:lmao:

I like Ramen Noodles, but I prefer homemade mac and cheese :)
Kraft Mac&Cheese is on my yuk list. sorry

I've tried many, many variations of the homemade stuff, searching for the perfect mac & cheese .... and for me, it's Kraft.

I realize this makes me completely weird. I can live with that. ;)

I'm having homemade mac and cheese (Dubliner, Parmesan and Romano cheeses) tonight. Tasty stuff. :)

Now anitram,
I doubt you read any information on the Spam site or the Ramen site.
Why are so quick to judge without knowing any information on these two food products?

Um, I had the misfortune of trying this food "product" once and it was really disgusting.

I don't eat Ramen either. Find it equally as disgusting.

All this talk about the economy - a 2 lb bag of lentils is like 99 cents. Why I'd eat SPAM instead is beyond me.

Spam is well-marketed processed rubbish.

In other words Spam is part of the problem with globalised capitalism, gang, not part of the solution.

Pasta with fresh vegetables and a little bit of prosciutto or porchetta is cheaper and nicer than spam.

Veggies don't keep, that's the appeal of spam, ramen, k'mac.... plus ramen is 15 cents here. I doubt your pasta dish can beat that. I like ramen but rarely eat it. The sodium content alone is enough to make even a salt lover like me hesitate.

Now anitram,
I doubt you read any information on the Spam site or the Ramen site.
Why are so quick to judge without knowing any information on these two food products?

The typhoid fever comment was a low blow :(

Why are you so quick to judge that she doesn't know the information?

It has nothing to do with propaganda; it's unhealthy and disgusting.

Do you happen to own Spam stock or something?

The preservatives and chemicals found in many foods we eat are a lot more disgusting than Spam, yet not many people react with the same level of aversion to those elements.

The preservatives and chemicals found in many foods we eat are a lot more disgusting than Spam, yet not many people react with the same level of aversion to those elements.

I think the gelatinous part has a lot to do with that. It's not so much what goes into the product that elicits such a visceral response, it's the sliminess of the final product that does it.

Yeah, it's the taste/texture of it that's really gross to me.

But also, I grew up in a house where we weren't allowed to drink pop or eat anything that was canned, pre-prepared, etc. Even now, my parents still subsist on things like quinoa, bulgur, millet, oat flour, and on and on. My brother and I picked up pretty good habits from them.

The only thing I really struggle with is keeping fresh fruit/veggies because they do spoil really fast. If you live alone and you're busy so that you end up eating out a lot of nights, next thing you know, everything in the fridge has gone bad. I wish I had time to go get fresh stuff every couple of days, but that's just not realistic.

But also, I grew up in a house where we weren't allowed to drink pop or eat anything that was canned, pre-prepared, etc. Even now, my parents still subsist on things like quinoa, bulgur, millet, oat flour, and on and on. My brother and I picked up pretty good habits from them.

Are your parents characters from Charles Dickens? I'm just curious here.

Back
Top Bottom