Spam Sales Soar in the USA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Haha. No, they are just a little hippy-leaning. Actually, my Mom is. Without her, I fear my Dad might be a right wing loon. :sexywink:

She strongly believed in proper nutrition, but also we had no bed time, never got grounded or punished, and she told us that we should choose our own way when it came to religion (although I am sure she would love that either of us cared about Catholicism).

But I will admit, I used to go to my friends' houses after school sometimes just so I could have a Coke. And I really, really do consume large quantities of Diet Coke as an adult.

I've never thought of Spam and Twinkies as "country" foods. :hmm:

Spam is fairly popular in many areas of the Asia-Pacific region, I think though mostly in things like stir-fry/fried rice/fried noodles and "sushi", where its texture and appearance aren't so...prominent. I've seen spam musubi (spam in a rice-nori roll) served in Hawai'i before.

we had no bed time, never got grounded or punished, and she told us that we should choose our own way when it came to religion

My current parenting philosophy in a nutshell - nice to see that it works just fine.

We do, however, slack a bit when it comes to nutrition but we would never, in a million years, eat Spam.

PS Spam resembles cat food. I don't eat anything that wallows in brine. I did try it once, when i was a young kid, we'd convinced my parents to buy a tin of it. Think we made one sandwhich from that whole tin and binned it.

PS Spam resembles cat food. I don't eat anything that wallows in brine. I did try it once, when i was a young kid, we'd convinced my parents to buy a tin of it. Think we made one sandwhich from that whole tin and binned it.
Tuna mornay, a tin of tuna in brine + flour, milk and margarine/butter.

And Spam is vile, when the economic meltdown comes I am starting a bigger vegetable patch.

Artificial sweeteners and other chemicals in soda are scarier than Spam, although the latter does have sodium nitrite.

I believe the studies on aspartame are terrible. Their results have been completely misinterpreted and have lead to a lot of fearmongering. At issue is phenylalanine, of which you will find more in 2 eggs than a can of diet soda. The studies referred to which say that rats developed brain tumors fed them amounts of phenylalanine which would basically be impossible to consume for a human being.

It was one of the things that I really looked into closely in my past life when I was a researcher.

The atrocious levels of scientific education in western countries is plain harmful, we all enjoy the benefits of the scientific method but can easily be misled by a fear driven media and our instinct to blame bad things on a single scapegoat. The thiomersal scare over the MMR vaccine was sucked up by a fearful public and caused harm, a friend during primary school got whooping cough and his mother gave him a homeopathic placebo and every piece of magnet therapy/quantum healing/qi/ancient knowledge quackery in between are a testament to malicious exploitation of peoples scientific illiteracy.

Now that is relevant to the thread at hand given that OP embraces a retrograde folksy attitude towards smoking, sugar and other established health risks yet pins massive blame on artificial sweeteners, HFCS and modern conveniences at the drop of a hat. Eat less, don't smoke and walk around a bit and you'll be healthier than most, and please avoid spam (it was invented so a certain proportion people in fallout shelters would kill themselves by starvation to allow the hardy remainder to live).

The atrocious levels of scientific education in western countries is plain harmful, we all enjoy the benefits of the scientific method but can easily be misled by a fear driven media and our instinct to blame bad things on a single scapegoat. The thiomersal scare over the MMR vaccine was sucked up by a fearful public and caused harm, a friend during primary school got whooping cough and his mother gave him a homeopathic placebo and every piece of magnet therapy/quantum healing/qi/ancient knowledge quackery in between are a testament to malicious exploitation of peoples scientific illiteracy.

Now that is relevant to the thread at hand given that OP embraces a retrograde folksy attitude towards smoking, sugar and other established health risks yet pins massive blame on artificial sweeteners, HFCS and modern conveniences at the drop of a hat. Eat less, don't smoke and walk around a bit and you'll be healthier than most, and please avoid spam (it was invented so a certain proportion people in fallout shelters would kill themselves by starvation to allow the hardy remainder to live).

And besides, if you want good quality bomb shelter food, you can't go past a tasty bag of pistachios. Myself, I am unable to enlist any time in this lifetime, so I will munch on them for fun. And I'll drink my large volumes of diet soft drink. I love this Russian Roulette life.

Who the hell eats spam in this day and age?! Well I suppose there's a recession, but seriously..

Back
Top Bottom