Spacefarer's Guide to Getting off this Planet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So fucking cool that we have 'seen' a black hole. Or more accurately the 'shadow' of a black hole, ie the very edges of rays of light before they disappear, meaning, as I understand it, the event horizon is a much smaller circle inside the black circle of the image.

I feel like over the past couple of years I've pretty much been slowly giving myself a degree in physics, without understanding any of the actual maths.

So fucking cool that we have 'seen' a black hole. Or more accurately the 'shadow' of a black hole, ie the very edges of rays of light before they disappear, meaning, as I understand it, the event horizon is a much smaller circle inside the black circle of the image.

I feel like over the past couple of years I've pretty much been slowly giving myself a degree in physics, without understanding any of the actual maths.
Good for you. :up:
I don't get the math, either. However bc i was a preemi back in '53 (and among those whom a different amount of oxygen was used on in the incubators) I was given a series of IQ tests over time to make sure that (and I do believe in the variety of human intelligences as more recently theorized) it didn't affect my IQ.

Anyway they said my ability for abstract thought was just about off the charts. I think that's why can follow a fair amount of it.
Oh, and since you enjoy physics and since you seem to enjoy science fiction- you might enjoy reading David Brin's (Physicist) two "Uplft" trilogies. The very last one so far is "Heaven's Gate", which really pours on some wild physics! He really does very good characterization; human, dolphin, chimps, and a whole host of sapients, it has a serious ecological theme running through, a billions of years old galatic civilization, and more. He calls it a "space opera". It's intelligent, moving, quite funny, and wonder-filled.

RIP to cosmonaut alexei leonov, the first person to space walk ever in 1965.

https://www.theguardian.com/science...eonov-space-walk-human-death-cosmonaut-russia

Wow. :(
RIP, Alexei.
And I remember that happening!

There's an organization called The Association of Space Explorers (ACE) which has astronauts from all over the world in it.

And ta da...

our latest space walkers, from The Atlantic

And for the first time in history, they were both women.

Christina Koch and Jessica Meir began a five-and-a-half-hour spacewalk this morning to replace a battery component on the station’s exterior. The device, which is used to charge the solar-powered batteries that power the station, failed last weekend.

The spacewalk itself was pretty uneventful—spacewalks, as I recently learned while watching seven hours of one, are essentially home-improvement projects for humankind’s home in space, complete with drills, bolts, and sore muscles. The excitement around the event was about the spacewalkers themselves, the 14th and 15th women to spacewalk since the first woman, the Soviet cosmonaut Svetlana Savitskaya, did it in 1984. Anticipation was especially high after an earlier attempt at an all-female spacewalk in March. That lineup was scrapped at the last minute after two female astronauts found that the ISS didn’t have enough spacesuits in the size they needed. This time, NASA officials said, astronauts had the right stuff, sartorially speaking.

:yippie: (and about time!)

One mo'
And this is from Popular Mechanics (And not like from ? Infowars, etc)

The U.S. Army has joined To The Stars Academy of Arts and Science, a UFO research group, to investigate UFO technology.
To The Stars is the same group that released the UFO videos that the Navy confirmed were real.
We have questions. Lots of 'em.
The U.S. Army and a prominent UFO research group are teaming up to investigate mysterious technology, but won’t come out and say where the tech comes from

To The Stars Academy of Arts and Science, the organization led by former Blink-182 member Tom DeLonge, will work with the Army to “characterize” technology under the organization’s control, and then use the tech to improve military vehicles. We have a lot of questions about this bizarre partnership, starting with the most important: Where did the technology come from?

To The Stars, which released the infamous Navy-confirmed UFO videos, made the announcement today on its website, saying it has entered into a “Cooperative Research and Development Agreement (CRADA) with the U.S. Army Combat Capabilities Development Command to advance TTSA’s materiel and technology innovations in order to develop enhanced capabilities for Army ground vehicles.”

CRADAs are a form of joint research agreement between an agency of the federal government and research organizations, particularly academia, in which the feds provide “laboratories ... personnel, facilities, equipment or other resources with or without reimbursement.”

According to multiple definitions of CRADAs on federal websites, the transfer of federal funding is prohibited.

TTSA describes its contribution to the agreement as “technology solutions” that include “material science, space-time metric engineering, quantum physics, beamed energy propulsion, and active camouflage.”

What the.... :huh::shifty:

Last edited:
Yes :(

Thanks for the photo, Mrs S! I sometimes miss The Kennedy Center Awards Ceremony!

Kudos Katherine Johnson :applaud: for your superlative math skills, and along with your colleagues the stamina for enduring the racism, and sexism of the day.

Last edited:
Yes :(

Thanks for the photo, Mrs S! I sometimes miss The Kennedy Center Awards Ceremony!

Kudos Katherine Johnson :applaud: for your superlative math skills, and along with your colleagues the stamina for enduring the racism, and sexism of the day.

It was the Presidential Medal Of Freedom, awarded to her by President Obama in 2015. I went to see Hidden Figures with my Mom on Trump's inauguration day. It was very appropriate for that day.

It was the Presidential Medal Of Freedom, awarded to her by President Obama in 2015. I went to see Hidden Figures with my Mom on Trump's inauguration day. It was very appropriate for that day.

:lol: :up::up:

Ha. What a great way to counter that day! It was an amazing story. My mom was already gone but I know she would have absolutely have appreciated it.

I'm going to yt that up.
I do my best to catch the PMOF @ TKC on tv every year, i miss one here and there.

For the Insight Mars Observer

According to data retrieved by InSight, Mars undergoes quite a bit more seismic activity than we ever knew. NASA has now recorded over 400 quakes from InSight’s time on the planet. Unlike on Earth, Mars’s quakes aren’t caused by the shifting of tectonic plates, but rather the continued cooling of the planet, along with other processes.

The quakes aren’t strong — the majority register below a 3 on the Richter scale — but they’re enough to cause at least a gentle shake on the neighbor we’re only truly beginning to learn about.

i'm very pleased that the media seems to have stopped using the term earthquake to refer to a seismic event on another planet lol.

:hmm:

Interesting that Monday - The Military officially released the first rumored, then found/given to the guy from blink 45 who set up a ufo organization - videos that ?2 fighter pilots filmed on crafts doing astonishing maneuvers beyond current capabilities a few years back.

:hmm:

every time the announcers of the live stream say "bob and doug" i get a mental picture of these guys about to go to space:

li-sctv.jpg

Remembering how in class in the early '60's they'd roll in the 6 plus ft high TV stand with B&W television to watch the Mercy series of space flights.

Now...fast forward to today.....

I'm watching beautifully clear images from several vantage point at the launch pad, and inside the rocket's cabin where the astronauts are from my smartphone's screen. I share back to my FB news feed the live video that's going on.
It's thrilling! :love:

Course I'm a bit disappointed - but they have to be extra cautious. What helped me lower my disappointment was the NASA news anchor say ".... it's a heck of a rehearsal...". A good POV!

Hopefully Sat will have a successful launch, and evetual docking at the ISS.

Every time I see something related to Space X, I think of him, and he's an arsehole.

Unhinged is a better description, and the moral gray area of a self righteous egomaniac.

Whose ego sometimes does the right thing, and isn’t driven by money.

If you want someone who ruins space and has a name, that’s Jeff Bezos.

Back
Top Bottom