Spacefarer's Guide to Getting off this Planet - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-13-2018, 11:07 AM   #136
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: illegitimi non carborundum
Posts: 19,393
Local Time: 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzledbylight View Post
Of with course the radar, or long wave , or the seismology stuff - I'd do love for them to find outlines of ancient cities...


...otoh...



Trump being the one to have this discovery...

and what stupid, or crazy things he might do with that !?!?
so if they somehow find "outlines of ancient cities" on mars, trump gets the credit for it?
__________________

DaveC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:35 PM   #137
Blue Crack Supplier
 
dazzledbylight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: in the sound dancing - w Bono & Edge :D
Posts: 33,660
Local Time: 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
so if they somehow find "outlines of ancient cities" on mars, trump gets the credit for it?
In a sort of general way; NASA is still government run and he's president. It "happens" on his watch.
__________________

dazzledbylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:46 PM   #138
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 14,807
Local Time: 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzledbylight View Post
In a sort of general way; NASA is still government run and he's president. It "happens" on his watch.


Not exactly.

Certain programs are from certain directives and they normally get remembered as such.

Despite not having changed anything at all, Trump’s directive was all near term lunar stuff (probably because he could take credit for it).

The same cannot be said about things like Mars InSight or various other elements that fall under different legacy programs.

This would be like saying Donald Trump receives credit for the F35 because it entered full active service during his presidency. Nobody looks at it that way ~at all~.
LuckyNumber7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:23 PM   #139
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: illegitimi non carborundum
Posts: 19,393
Local Time: 03:25 PM
i can't think of any major space achievement that people really associate with a president, aside from kennedy making the speech setting the moon landing goal, but he had been dead almost six years and thoroughly mythologised by the time that actually happened.
DaveC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:43 PM   #140
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 14,807
Local Time: 03:25 PM
Certain programs are associated with certain presidents. SLS is an Obama thing - a rearrangement of when Obama “cancelled NASA” or whatever. Constellation was Bush. Bush Sr. and the discovery program is cited as “better faster cheaper” or whatever.

Those are all based upon presidential initiatives.

Achievements aren’t associated with the president because the president is out of office by the time that major achievement has been accomplished. But certainly there’s a legacy behind whatever path each president sets.
LuckyNumber7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:04 AM   #141
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
dabiggestu2fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The edge of the known universe
Posts: 3,242
Local Time: 07:25 PM
Anyone see the lunar eclipse last night? I didn’t take any photos this time as I am busy with my kitchen renos but it looked very nice indeed. Even though they are not as rare as solar eclipses, they still look pretty cool!
dabiggestu2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 05:01 PM   #142
Blue Crack Supplier
 
dazzledbylight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: in the sound dancing - w Bono & Edge :D
Posts: 33,660
Local Time: 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Not exactly.

Certain programs are from certain directives and they normally get remembered as such.

Despite not having changed anything at all, Trump’s directive was all near term lunar stuff (probably because he could take credit for it).

The same cannot be said about things like Mars InSight or various other elements that fall under different legacy programs.

This would be like saying Donald Trump receives credit for the F35 because it entered full active service during his presidency. Nobody looks at it that way ~at all~ .
Ah, i see what you and others are saying.

(bu don't you think your "at all" with typographical emphasis seems a bit snarky? I just stated a concern)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
i can't think of any major space achievement that people really associate with a president, aside from kennedy making the speech setting the moon landing goal, but he had been dead almost six years and thoroughly mythologised by the time that actually happened.
Re: JFK & Moon landing: I was 10 when he was assassinated, 16 for the moon landing. All this made a very lasting impression.

So it's probably why I said what i said originally. I totally associate JFK with all the moon stuff, with of course all the NASA team and astros together. Sort of a knee jerk reaction; other presidents also then must be linked with x space achievements.

But you all are right i don't actually really associate any other President with a particular space program, initiative etc.
dazzledbylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 05:07 PM   #143
Blue Crack Supplier
 
dazzledbylight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: in the sound dancing - w Bono & Edge :D
Posts: 33,660
Local Time: 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabiggestu2fan View Post
Anyone see the lunar eclipse last night? I didn’t take any photos this time as I am busy with my kitchen renos but it looked very nice indeed. Even though they are not as rare as solar eclipses, they still look pretty cool!
Disappointed i didn't get to see it. It was really cold that night. I couldn't see it from any of my windows- must of passed my sight line as my sis had seen it about an hour or so early just as it was getting all coppery red (different neighborhoods but we both have eastern windows). Said it looked very pretty. I have seen a few over the decades.
The last one just as it was getting to full coverage the clouds blocked it.
dazzledbylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:10 PM   #144
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 14,807
Local Time: 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzledbylight View Post


(bu don't you think your "at all" with typographical emphasis seems a bit snarky? I just stated a concern)






Err no, I was emphasizing how Donald Trump definitely is not responsible for a sophisticated piece of state of the art technology. Not snarky lol.
LuckyNumber7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 03:23 PM   #145
Blue Crack Supplier
 
dazzledbylight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: in the sound dancing - w Bono & Edge :D
Posts: 33,660
Local Time: 03:25 PM
'k
dazzledbylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 04:46 PM   #146
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 14,807
Local Time: 03:25 PM
🤷🏻*♂️ ok...
LuckyNumber7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:27 PM   #147
Blue Crack Supplier
 
dazzledbylight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: in the sound dancing - w Bono & Edge :D
Posts: 33,660
Local Time: 03:25 PM

Good-bye, Opportunity Rover.

NASA sent it' s last 'hello, r u there?' signal to Oppie (their nickname) yesterday. No return response.
Still, for a ?90 day mission that lasted 15 years. That gave us major, and tantalising info about water on Mars etc.
dazzledbylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:35 PM   #148
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: illegitimi non carborundum
Posts: 19,393
Local Time: 03:25 PM
i love that there is a planet in our solar system that (as far as we know) is entirely inhabited by robots.
DaveC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:37 AM   #149
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
BEAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Diego
Posts: 4,359
Local Time: 07:25 PM
https://twitter.com/lkrauss1/status/...244770817?s=21

Our first look at a black hole
BEAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:00 PM   #150
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 14,807
Local Time: 03:25 PM
All that and they didn’t even use autofocus
__________________

LuckyNumber7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com