Soros sees end of US-led globalized market system - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-13-2008, 07:28 PM   #16
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,238
Local Time: 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
In order to be funny there has to be some truth.
Not necessarily.
__________________

__________________
Diemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:13 AM   #17
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,692
Local Time: 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
In order to be funny there has to be some truth.

No.

When you label every social movement or action as have to being based on guilt you are just plain wrong...
__________________

__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:11 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
purpleoscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In right wing paranoia
Posts: 7,597
Local Time: 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
No.

When you label every social movement or action as have to being based on guilt you are just plain wrong...
Of course you don't agree. I'm just saying MY point of view is that envy, and guilt is a huge part of the left's political playbook. I think that anybody who denies that will deny anything.
__________________
purpleoscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:23 AM   #19
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,692
Local Time: 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
Of course you don't agree. I'm just saying MY point of view is that envy, and guilt is a huge part of the left's political playbook. I think that anybody who denies that will deny anything.
See you state it's only your point of view(which it is), but then try and make it fact when you say "anybody who denies that will deny anything".

If I came out and stated "greed and bigotry are a huge part of the right's political playbook, and anyone who denies that is a liar", I wouldn't be taken very seriously. And honestly, I wouldn't want to be taken seriously if I thought that way...



I think you should really lay off the psychology and the economics for you are no where near an expert of either field.
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:33 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
purpleoscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In right wing paranoia
Posts: 7,597
Local Time: 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
See you state it's only your point of view(which it is), but then try and make it fact when you say "anybody who denies that will deny anything".

If I came out and stated "greed and bigotry are a huge part of the right's political playbook, and anyone who denies that is a liar", I wouldn't be taken very seriously. And honestly, I wouldn't want to be taken seriously if I thought that way...

I think you should really lay off the psychology and the economics for you are no where near an expert of either field.
Greed and bigotry is not a tactic. The right uses fear of government taking over and 1984 as their playbook. I just happen to agree more strongly to the right and their playbook because I don't think it's too far off the mark.

You mentioning that I'm not an expert could easily apply to most people on this board and there would be no conversation at all. It's nice to note that you think only experts should be listened to. There are many psychological experiments showing that people will listen to experts even if they are way off the mark. At what point should we think for ourselves?

BTW what expertise do you have?
__________________
purpleoscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:53 AM   #21
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,692
Local Time: 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
Greed and bigotry is not a tactic. The right uses fear of government taking over and 1984 as their playbook. I just happen to agree more strongly to the right and their playbook because I don't think it's too far off the mark.

You mentioning that I'm not an expert could easily apply to most people on this board and there would be no conversation at all. It's nice to note that you think only experts should be listened to. There are many psychological experiments showing that people will listen to experts even if they are way off the mark. At what point should we think for ourselves?

BTW what expertise do you have?
Ok oscar you really missed my point. First of all, are jealousy and guilt tactics? Playing to people's desire of greed and their bigotries can be a tactic, but let's move on. You do realize I just took your statement and changed a few words, right?

And no, I don't expect anyone to be experts, but have at least some knowledge of the subjects they are speaking about... When I said "you are no where near..." I was just trying to make the point that you try and come off as one, and you aren't even close to sounding like someone who at least has a little knowledge of the subject. You make false statements and you are constantly pretending like you know the inside motivations of people, i.e. "guilt" or "envy".

Why don't you try and just discuss your opinions, and try and make your points without trying to tell people why they think the way they think.
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:01 PM   #22
Self-righteous bullshitter
 
BoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Soviet Canuckistan — Socialist paradise
Posts: 16,666
Local Time: 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
See you state it's only your point of view(which it is), but then try and make it fact when you say "anybody who denies that will deny anything".

If I came out and stated "greed and bigotry are a huge part of the right's political playbook, and anyone who denies that is a liar", I wouldn't be taken very seriously. And honestly, I wouldn't want to be taken seriously if I thought that way...
Diemen, I think that BVS should be reprimanded. Use your new moderating powers to teach him a lesson. I mean, there's no place for logic on the Internets!

Shame on you, BVS.
__________________

BoMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:08 PM   #23
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,692
Local Time: 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoMac View Post
Shame on you, BVS.
I'll put myself on time out...
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:40 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
purpleoscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In right wing paranoia
Posts: 7,597
Local Time: 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
Ok oscar you really missed my point. First of all, are jealousy and guilt tactics? Playing to people's desire of greed and their bigotries can be a tactic, but let's move on. You do realize I just took your statement and changed a few words, right?

And no, I don't expect anyone to be experts, but have at least some knowledge of the subjects they are speaking about... When I said "you are no where near..." I was just trying to make the point that you try and come off as one, and you aren't even close to sounding like someone who at least has a little knowledge of the subject. You make false statements and you are constantly pretending like you know the inside motivations of people, i.e. "guilt" or "envy".

Why don't you try and just discuss your opinions, and try and make your points without trying to tell people why they think the way they think.
The psychological aspects are an important part of what I talk about because they can't be ignored. I'll get some articles that back up what I'm saying and start threads because people on this board seem to want to read from "experts" and make yea or nea opinions in that format.

But I do believe that emotions have a large effect on people's opinions.
__________________
purpleoscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:46 PM   #25
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,692
Local Time: 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
The psychological aspects are an important part of what I talk about because they can't be ignored. I'll get some articles that back up what I'm saying and start threads because people on this board seem to want to read from "experts" and make yea or nea opinions in that format.

But I do believe that emotions have a large effect on people's opinions.
That's all fine and dandy, just don't pretend to know what's going on in my heart or anyone else's for that matter, and definately don't pretend to know the emotional motivations of a whole group which you've done time after time...
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:35 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 03:31 AM
This is somewhat relevant, so I'll post it here:-

Bloomberg.com: Worldwide
Quote:
Oct. 23 (Bloomberg) -- Former Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan said a ``once-in-a-century credit tsunami'' has engulfed financial markets and conceded his free-market ideology shunning regulation was flawed.

``Yes, I found a flaw,'' Greenspan said in response to grilling from the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform. ``I was shocked because I'd been going for 40 years or more with very considerable evidence that it was working exceptionally well.'' Greenspan added he was ``partially'' wrong for opposing the regulation of derivatives.

Greenspan's contrition came after lawmakers and Fed watchers increasingly blamed the former Fed chairman for helping cause the crisis with lax oversight of the housing boom and derivatives markets. Normally afforded deference by Congress, he endured almost four hours of questions from lawmakers less than two weeks before a national election.

``Greenspan is finally taking some responsibility for his actions,'' said Paul Kasriel, director of economic research at Northern Trust Co. in Chicago and a former Fed official. ``The damage has been done. His reputation has definitely been tarnished.''
__________________
financeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:44 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 07:31 PM

__________________
diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:27 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
purpleoscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In right wing paranoia
Posts: 7,597
Local Time: 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
This is somewhat relevant, so I'll post it here:-

Bloomberg.com: Worldwide
Yeah but the Democrats are trying to put that as purely a Conservative attitude to push their equally wrong agenda of over regulation and distributionism. I saw this on CBC with Waxman.

Certainly the low interest rates of the past decade and a half is more a symptom of Keynesian points of view than Monetarism. They should have raised interest rates a long time ago to prevent people from getting into too much debt. Instead they made credit very easy which is a Keynesian point of view.

The funny thing is that the Fannie Mae and Freddie Mae fans are looking to benefit in their election despite their roles to play which had a greater effect. If companies are forced to add more bad debt on their portfolios then they will be forced to find a way to bundle them and sell them to unsuspecting investors. In the end Keynesians will still be hired for the job regulation or no.
__________________

__________________
purpleoscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com