Sopa - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-19-2012, 04:12 AM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AchtungBono
I don't understand the problem.....isn't this legislature supposed to protect people from having their intellectual property rights breached? Isn't that a good thing?
Have you read the specifics?. The power it gives the corporations is completely unreasonable
__________________

__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:31 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,557
Local Time: 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AchtungBono View Post
I don't understand the problem.....isn't this legislature supposed to protect people from having their intellectual property rights breached? Isn't that a good thing?
There are already means for protecting property. I've filed DMCA violations several times and always the outcome has been timely and in my favor.

SOPA and PIPA are unreasonable.
__________________

__________________
Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:51 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,885
Local Time: 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AchtungBono
I don't understand the problem.....isn't this legislature supposed to protect people from having their intellectual property rights breached? Isn't that a good thing?
this legislature gives corporations the power to shut down any website.
__________________
PhilsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London/Sydney
Posts: 6,608
Local Time: 08:28 PM
PLEBA could fuck us all!
__________________
Earnie Shavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #20
Self-righteous bullshitter
 
BoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Soviet Canuckistan — Socialist paradise
Posts: 16,665
Local Time: 03:28 PM
Ha!
__________________

BoMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #21
Self-righteous bullshitter
 
BoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Soviet Canuckistan — Socialist paradise
Posts: 16,665
Local Time: 03:28 PM
Justice Department calls MegaUpload an 'international organized criminal enterprise,' founder Kim Dotcom arrested in New Zealand | The Verge
__________________

BoMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
trojanchick99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Los Feliz, CA (between Hollywood and Downtown LA)
Posts: 8,090
Local Time: 11:28 AM
The founders name is Dotcom. Seriously?

PS. I loved megaupload for boots. How much longer until they get Mediafire?
__________________
trojanchick99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:32 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Vincent Vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Berlin
Posts: 6,615
Local Time: 08:28 PM
Not really, his real name is Kim Schmitz, but Schmitz is a pretty boring name: Kim Schmitz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He gained fame in Germany during the dotcom bubble and, as many others, later was found guilty of fraud and cheating on the balance sheets.
Megaupload, just like torrents and other things, are very useful for so many legal things. I send everything via that site which is too large for e-mail.
__________________
Vincent Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:53 PM   #24
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnie Shavers View Post
you could be sure that an anonymous survey of all the staff from even just the next executive level down would show heavily anti-SOPA sentiment while still being heavily 'anti-piracy'. Shit like this makes it harder, not easier, to find a solution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
He gained fame in Germany during the dotcom bubble and, as many others, later was found guilty of fraud and cheating on the balance sheets.

Megaupload, just like torrents and other things, are very useful for so many legal things. I send everything via that site which is too large for e-mail.
So what would some smart, doable, effective ways to combat piracy look like? I know a detailed answer could fill a multi-volume encyclopedia, but just a sketch overview.

Part of why I have a hard time working up much enthusiasm for this issue (though I have contacted my representatives about it) is the disheatening apparent reality that--as Schmitz's bio happens to illustrate--so many of the vested interests on both sides are lying, greedy, hypocritical corporate scum seeking to present themselves as righteous protectors of art/culture/ideas/knowledge, to appeal to an audience that in turn often seems to be worried more about loss of petty perks they never earned in the first place than by anything deserving of being called a commitment to intellectual freedom/liberty (look at some of the comments on that article, the usual pathetic dolts shrieking about how the US government is like Mussolini and Hitler because now they can't download their porn for free, etc.). I don't like to see stupid, hamfisted legislation that strangles legitimate opportunities for the many to protect the interests of the few get passed, but I'm also getting the sense there's an awful lot of knowingly insincere and token nods of acknowledgement to copyright going on, by people who have no intention whatsoever of respecting it.
__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:48 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life
 
digitize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas and around the Texas Triangle
Posts: 13,962
Local Time: 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanchick99 View Post
The founders name is Dotcom. Seriously?

PS. I loved megaupload for boots. How much longer until they get Mediafire?
Shit, your right, a whole bunch of U2Start's bootlegs just disappeared, at least in their mp3 form, and at least for now. That's a little scary.

Way to shut down a site that has a lot of practical purposes (I would consider hosting U2 bootlegs one, since U2 have said in the past that they don't care about not-for-profit bootlegging) other than piracy when very few people actually use it for piracy, government! The real piracy happens via BitTorrent. The Justice Department, like Murdoch and his pals, seems out-of-touch with what internet culture is actually like.
__________________
digitize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:26 PM   #26
Refugee
 
Globo14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 1,207
Local Time: 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
Shit, your right, a whole bunch of U2Start's bootlegs just disappeared, at least in their mp3 form, and at least for now. That's a little scary.
That really stinks. U2start is among the most amazing sites on the web, I really hope this won't cripple them.

This whole act is ridiculous. First Megaupload, next what? Mediafire, Rapidshare, Hotfile, FileSonic?

Digitize is right: the real piracy is through torrents. I use torrents myself, but it's usually only for bootlegs.
__________________
Globo14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:44 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 02:28 PM
Not that I think the megauploads story is related to the SOPA story, but since we're talking about it

All the Insane Loot Seized from Megaupload's Crazy Owners
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 02:28 PM
and of course, this

The Evil New Tactic Behind Anonymous' Massive Megaupload Revenge Attack
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:51 AM   #29
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,037
Local Time: 06:28 AM
Scary stuff. I didn't know but apparently megaupload was more than just illegal uploads of albums (which I didn't mind anyway).
__________________
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:35 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Vincent Vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Berlin
Posts: 6,615
Local Time: 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
So what would some smart, doable, effective ways to combat piracy look like? I know a detailed answer could fill a multi-volume encyclopedia, but just a sketch overview.

Part of why I have a hard time working up much enthusiasm for this issue (though I have contacted my representatives about it) is the disheatening apparent reality that--as Schmitz's bio happens to illustrate--so many of the vested interests on both sides are lying, greedy, hypocritical corporate scum seeking to present themselves as righteous protectors of art/culture/ideas/knowledge, to appeal to an audience that in turn often seems to be worried more about loss of petty perks they never earned in the first place than by anything deserving of being called a commitment to intellectual freedom/liberty (look at some of the comments on that article, the usual pathetic dolts shrieking about how the US government is like Mussolini and Hitler because now they can't download their porn for free, etc.). I don't like to see stupid, hamfisted legislation that strangles legitimate opportunities for the many to protect the interests of the few get passed, but I'm also getting the sense there's an awful lot of knowingly insincere and token nods of acknowledgement to copyright going on, by people who have no intention whatsoever of respecting it.
Kim Schmitz is quite a despicable person. It's not only for the beauty of the country that he now resides in New Zealand instead of Germany. In Germany people hate him because many people lost their savings in the dotcom bubble partly due to people like him, and he has always been the most arrogant of all. Even after he was found guilty. He's one of those people who'd sell his own grandmother and mother. Until the shutdown, I did not know that he was behind megaupload.
Shutting down such websites, however, is like abolishing cars because they also get used in bank robberies. Services such as megaupload, but also bittorrent, will always be exploited in order to share illegal stuff. But in the case of music, for example, it's been shown that a great number of people is perfectly willing to pay for the music if it's easy to get and there are no ridiculous limitations on the use of the good. There'll always be this residual who don't give a damn and will just download illegally.
The ironic thing is, the number of illegal sharing in the West is just such a tiny drop in the ocean when compared to piracy in pretty much all other countries of the world. Go to any developing or transitional country and on the markets you will not see a single original copy of music, movies or video games. Still, the content industry wants to introduce censorship and doing away with what is effectively the online version of the privacy of the letters to rescue a couple bucks.
As Courtney Love put it already back in 2000, during the heydays of Napster, the real piracy is often that from the industry itself, such as with music: Courtney Love does the math - Music - Salon.com
__________________

__________________
Vincent Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com