so, the terrorists win... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2009, 11:50 AM   #1
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:38 AM
so, the terrorists win...

Quote:
For all United States bound aircraft originating in a foreign country and including Puerto Rico and the United States Virgin Islands:

- Passengers will not be able to leave their seat from approximately one (1) hour prior to landing. The cockpit will inform in-flight personnel when this should be enforced.
- In-flight and cockpit personnel must refrain from making any PA announcements regarding the position of the aircraft or landing announcements. Cockpit personnel will use the IF alarm system to warn in-flight personnel to take their seats prior to landing.
- Passengers will be allowed one carry-on item or one personal item and will not be able to access this item during the one (1) hour period prior to landing.
- No items can be used/held/accessed/accessible by any passenger, including personal electronic devices, magazines, newspapers, books, etc. during the one (1) hour pre-landing period.
- In-flight personnel must collect First / Business Class PED one (1) hour and thirty (30) minutes prior to landing.
- In-flight personnel must collect all pillows and blankets one (1) hour prior to landing. Pillows and blankets must be stored in the galley and not in overhead bins.
- All on-board fixed IFE systems will be disabled and not available to our customers. Do not run or attempt to run any fixed IFE system.
Terror At Metro

let's add that on top of all of the nightmares we already have to put up with any time we think about flying as it is.

Quote:
Passengers flying from international locations to U.S. destinations may notice additional security measures in place. These measures are designed to be unpredictable, so passengers should not expect to see the same thing everywhere. Due to the busy holiday travel season, both domestic and international travelers should allot extra time for check-in.
TSA: TSA and DHS Statements on Northwest Airlines Flight 253

and here's hoping this remains a rumour: http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/12/26...ectronics-ban/

so this time a plane wasn't blown up because of measures already in place (not to mention it's almost impossible to create an explosion fatal to an airframe with what you can get on board a plane anyway - this guy probably just managed to set his clothes on fire), and we can claim the terrorists didn't win and freedom reigns supreme. this is really the bigger issue at hand.

ha.

it's hard to justify starting this thread, given it should just be one big circle jerk of everyone agreeing with how much terrorism has actually defeated us, but i'd be interested in seeing if there is another opinion out there.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:04 PM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:38 AM
What is this bullshit about the last hour of the flight? Like some terrorist can't do something in the three hours before then?

I eagerly await the day when our airline travel experience is reduced to being tied to our seats, naked with hollow butt plugs as our only carry-ons.*

I mean, clearly this is going to be the end result if we insist on being reactive instead of proactive to airline security.

*I freely admit to stealing that from someone else on another site

Old 12-27-2009, 02:04 PM   #3
Neon Zebra

Edit: Nevermind, I just read the top line again.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:08 PM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:38 PM
Quote:
In-flight and cockpit personnel must refrain from making any PA announcements regarding the position of the aircraft
That's ok, I'll use my monitor, it has a map
Old 12-27-2009, 02:08 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:38 PM
This is totally absurd. Business class travelers in particular are going to be thrilled about giving up 90 minutes of work time. WTF is even the point of paying for business class anymore in those circumstances?

I'm sure all terrorists will politely only act in the last hour of flight.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:47 PM   #6
She's the One

Some idiot sets his nuts on fire, and now I can't pee in the last hour of the flight. Thanks, Amsterdam security! Good job!

Now let's sit back and listen to the airlines and government whine and bitch about how no one travels.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:16 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

I'm so pissed that I had to throw away $50 of hair product at airport security, yet this clown gets to board with explosive chemicals and a questionable background.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:40 PM   #8
Refugee

Local Time: 07:38 PM
Warren Buffett picked a good time to buy a railroad recently.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:59 PM   #9
War Child

FiveThirtyEight: Politics Done Right: The Odds of Airborne Terror
Old 12-27-2009, 06:21 PM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliEnvy View Post
Warren Buffett picked a good time to buy a railroad recently.
Let me know when he buys a railroad that crosses the Atlantic or Pacific.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:34 PM   #11
Refugee

Local Time: 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
Let me know when he buys a railroad that crosses the Atlantic or Pacific.

Quote:
Air Canada said in a statement that new rules imposed by the Transportation Security Administration limit on-board activities by passengers and crew in U.S. airspace. The airline said that during the final hour of flight passengers must remain seated. They won't be allowed access to carryon baggage or to have any items on their laps.

Flight attendants on some domestic flights are informing passengers of similar rules. Passengers on a flight from New York to Tampa Saturday morning were also told they must remain in their seats and couldn't have items in their laps, including laptops and pillows.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:39 PM   #12
Blue Crack Distributor

Can I still read in the last hour of a flight, as long as the book isn't in my lap? If I'm holding it above lap level, is that acceptable? Can I maybe just glue it to the seatback in front of me?
Old 12-27-2009, 06:42 PM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliEnvy View Post
"Air Canada said in a statement that new rules imposed by the Transportation Security Administration limit on-board activities by passengers and crew in U.S. airspace. The airline said that during the final hour of flight passengers must remain seated. They won't be allowed access to carryon baggage or to have any items on their laps.

Flight attendants on some domestic flights are informing passengers of similar rules. Passengers on a flight from New York to Tampa Saturday morning were also told they must remain in their seats and couldn't have items in their laps, including laptops and pillows.:"

The plot thickens worsens.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:03 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Now let's sit back and listen to the airlines and government whine and bitch about how no one travels.
This.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:07 PM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

I do not have words for how much I now dread flying. It's so thoroughly unenjoyable all around. And I'm a good flyer, I'll read or listen to my Ipod all day and be just fine. I just feel a lot less than an adult, or a human, maybe, when I'm in an airport or plane.

My current policy is anything I can drive to within 10 hours, I drive to, screw the flight. If we're talking about needing maybe a 2nd day of driving to get there, or if I'm crossing an ocean, then I'll fly. Begrudgingly.

And while I was kidding above re: Buffet buying a railroad, taking a train is 100x better than freaking flying, and soon I might even feel that I'm better off sacrificing some time for the comfort of being on the train.