so, the terrorists win...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ha, Vintage 73s. I like that. :)

Now I want to get a pat down and burst into song - "T-t-t-t-t-TOUCH ME! I want to feel dirty!"

Ha, Vintage 73s. I like that. :)

Now I want to get a pat down and burst into song - "T-t-t-t-t-TOUCH ME! I want to feel dirty!"

lovely! unconventional conventionalists on fym :cute:

howdy @ riff raff, the terrorist, lurking around on american airports - you bet he wants to steal fuel to go back to transsylvania!

Yeah I'm going to take the in-public pat-down option next time I am unfortunate enough to fly, just to see what it's like.

Plus I've never had someone on probation (most TSA employees?) fulfilling his work requirement by touching my balls before.

I going to take the scanner

I can't wait for them to ask me about my cock ring.

On a serious note,
I do remember flying in the 80s and 90s before 911,
how relaxed it was, few if any scanners, people carried folding knives on planes, etc.

I hated taking my shoes off, now I just prepare for it and because I expect it and I have gotten used to it.
It does not bother me as much. the 4 ounce liquid limit is still irritating.

I am trying to plan around it. also I no longer fly short hops. L A to Bay area, I will rent a car and drive.

I think this latest public reaction is ill-advised

The terrorist threat to commercial passenger aircraft remains a clear and present danger. Would-be suicide bombers like Umar Abdulmutallab, who attempted to bring down Northwest Flight 253 over Michigan on Christmas Day 2009 with a bomb in his underwear, worry Department of Homeland Security (DHS) officials greatly. The classified-intelligence reports they read every day only heighten their concerns. They’re the reasons full-body scanners have been installed at airports across the country, even though some experts question their usefulness

Read more: TSA screeners have their hands full | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment

If someone smuggles an underpants bomb aboard and takes a plane down, people will be outraged that more was not done to prevent it.

We still are only about at about 20% of what the Israelis do at their airports.
Let's hope successful attacks don't take us to those measures.

You have to love how Napolitano said that people can just not fly. Well duh, of course-but that's not really addressing the issue or being responsive to peoples' concerns. Sometimes it's the only way to get where we want to go-especially since we can't yet walk on water or swim great distances.

National Opt-Out Day Called Against Invasive Body Scanners | Threat Level | Wired.com

Air travelers, mark your calendar. An activist opposed to the new invasive body scanners in use at airports around the country just designated Wednesday, Nov. 24 as a National Opt-Out Day. He’s encouraging airline passengers to decline the TSA’s technological strip searches en masse on that day as a protest against the scanners, as well as the new “enhanced pat-downs” inflicted on refuseniks.

“The goal of National Opt-Out Day is to send a message to our lawmakers that we demand change,” reads the call to action at OptOutDay.com, set up by Brian Sodegren. “No naked body scanners, no government-approved groping. We have a right to privacy, and buying a plane ticket should not mean that we’re guilty until proven innocent.”

Some travel writers have expressed concern that the protest, called for the busiest air-travel day of the year, could cause backups and delays for all travelers.

The planned protest taps a growing unease over the full-body scans. Privacy groups such as the Electronic Privacy Information Center are seeking a court order to halt the use of invasive scanners, saying the scanners are illegal and violate passenger privacy.

They also say the government has done little to ensure that images taken by the devices are not saved. The TSA has asserted that the machines cannot store pictures, but security personnel at a courthouse in Florida were found to not only have saved images but shared them among colleagues in order to humiliate one of their co-workers.

Scientists have also expressed concern that radiation from the devices could have long-term health effects on travelers.

Although passengers have the right to opt out of going through a scanner, the Transportation Security Administration recently announced that passengers who opt out of body scanners at airport security checkpoints would be required to undergo an enhanced physical pat-down that would include agents using open hands and fingers to touch and press chest and groin areas of passengers. In the past, agents were instructed to use the backs of their hands for pat-downs.

Sodegren, who declined to be interviewed in the wake of growing publicity about his movement, wrote on the site that, “You should never have to explain to your children, ‘Remember that no stranger can touch or see your private area, unless it’s a government employee, then it’s OK.’”

The U.S. Airline Pilots Association and other pilot groups have urged their members to avoid the scanners and have also condemned the new pat-down policy as humiliating to pilots. They’ve advised pilots who don’t feel comfortable undergoing pat-downs in front of passengers to request they be conducted in a private room. Any pilots who don’t feel comfortable after undergoing a pat-down have been encouraged to “call in sick and remove themselves from the trip.”

Travel writer Carl Unger expressed concern that the timing of the boycott could affect already frazzled passengers who are trying to reach their Thanksgiving destinations.

“Chaos makes great news, sure, and news makes great exposure for a cause such as this,” he wrote at Smarter Travelbut I wonder if throwing a wrench into people’s holiday travels is the best way to win hearts and minds.”

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano was set to meet with executives from the travel industry on Friday to discuss concerns that security is having a detrimental effect on travel, according to Reuters.

“We have received hundreds of e-mails and phone calls from travelers vowing to stop flying,” Geoff Freeman, an executive vice president of the U.S. Travel Association, told the news agency.

So what is the alternative?

It's funny I heard conservatives a few years ago talk about how we just need a full body scan like that of Total Recall, those same folks are speaking out against it because it happened under a left wing Kenyan President.

Did we feel safer taking off our shoes?

What options do we have?

Oh yeah, we should all just not fly, so the airlines go deeper into financial trouble because no one is flying, so they jack up rates again, and workers go on strike because they can't get paid enough, wash, rinse, repeat.

Aces.

national opt-out day on the day before thanksgiving... gee, thanks for making everyone's travels so much easier douchebags.

the right to fly is not covered by the constitution. nobody's rights are being infringed. they're not coming to your house and grabbing your balls.

also, the fear of radiation is a tad silly... especially with this ass "don't touch my junk" guy, who's junk gets irradiated by the very cell phone that he took the video with every day. his sperm has been getting nuked for years, but hey... he's got apps. we are exposed to more radiation on a daily basis than we ever will be going through the backscatter. i hope this person puts up the same sorta stink when he goes to the dentist.

i can understand businesspeople who travel multiple times a day not wanting to be constantly subjected to it, but the occasional traveler going on vacation? please... gimmie a break. you sit everyday with a remote control, a smart phone in your pocket, your iPad in your hands and your wifi router under the couch, yet going through this thing once a year is just going to cause tumors to start popping up all over your body.

everybody seems to want to be protected, but without the actual, ya know, protection going on.

and any politician who was onboard for post-9/11 bush era policies, i.e. the patriot act, random searches at trains and subways, waterboarding, etc. etc. etc. etc. who are now speaking out against this should be fucking ashamed of themselves, and frankly need a healthy douse of electroshock therapy.

How exactly does this make us safer? Have the TSA ever foiled a terrorist attempt by doing these measures? I could shove something up my ass and it wouldn't be seen by the scanner or the pat down.

The people who want to try and blow up a plane will keep coming up with new creative ways to get that shit on the plane.

I'm not as concerned with the whole radation thing. I'm just not comfortable with someone taking a digital sort-of-kind-of nude picture of me or having some stranger who's basically a glorified mall cop touching me under the guise of "safety."

I haven't said anything about the constitution, so I'll let someone else tackle that one.

I just think the terrorists are going to be one step ahead of the TSA. No more liquids? Fine, they'll think of something else. Body searches? Great, they'll think of something else.

People are going to get their panties in a bunch no matter what we do, or what happens.

I'm not saying I know what they should be doing, I just know this doesn't feel right to me, it makes me uncomfortable, and based on what I've read, it's not going to do anything but piss people off in a multitude of ways.

I haven't said anything about the constitution, so I'll let someone else tackle that one.

I just think the terrorists are going to be one step ahead of the TSA. No more liquids? Fine, they'll think of something else. Body searches? Great, they'll think of something else.

People are going to get their panties in a bunch no matter what we do, or what happens.

I'm not saying I know what they should be doing, I just know this doesn't feel right to me, it makes me uncomfortable, and based on what I've read, it's not going to do anything but piss people off in a multitude of ways.

okay... yes, there is a group of people out there who want to kill westerners. if we cut off one way of them doing it, they will try to find another way.

frankly i'm most annoyed by this "don't touch my junk" glory whore who obviously had a plan in mind when he started recording his encounter. i wonder how much gawker payed him for his story.

How exactly does this make us safer? Have the TSA ever foiled a terrorist attempt by doing these measures? I could shove something up my ass and it wouldn't be seen by the scanner or the pat down.

The people who want to try and blow up a plane will keep coming up with new creative ways to get that shit on the plane.

They will always be trying to find ways around it. There is already talk about body cavity bombs and breast implant bombs. So what are they going to do, do body cavity searches on everyone or use CT scans or MRIs? So from that point of view it is a false sense of security.

I've said before long ago in this thread that I have no problem going into that scanner, that I would much rather do that than be blown to bits on an airplane. But I do think that I have the right to be treated like a human being and in a professional manner and with dignity. And that every American citizen does too. No offense to anyone here who works for the TSA, but if you do enough reading about it or have certain experiences, well..I am always completely cooperative but sometimes, even with that being the case, they don't always behave in a professional way. Nor are they the most highly trained professional security force-not by a long shot. How many times have they been tested and failed to find the most glaring security violations? So I'm not so sure they could find the most obvious thing in anyone's junk either-no matter how much they dig around in there.

I have no problem with people with kids being concerned about the touching issue-or people who have been victims of sexual violations or assaults.

Unfortunately this is the game of security. Reactive and proactive measures.

I think what infuriates me the most is one; those that are making the loudest noise don't have an alternative plan, and two; many of those that are making the loudest noise were the ones that praised the patriot act and called for more and more security.

One Hundred Naked Citizens: One Hundred Leaked Body Scans

So these are pretty blurry. But that's an older model. And the point is that the TSA was all "no, we can't save these, don't worry!"

And then it was all "Okay, we can save them for, but for just a short period of time."

What's it now? "Oops, our bad."

Yeah, you can't identify the person, but that's kind of beside the point. Why should we believe anything the TSA tells us these days?

So these are pretty blurry. But that's an older model. And the point is that the TSA was all "no, we can't save these, don't worry!"

And then it was all "Okay, we can save them for, but for just a short period of time."

Yeah, you can't identify the person, but that's kind of beside the point. Why should we believe anything the TSA tells us these days?

I agree, that is an issue that directly affects their credibility. And when there are stories about TSA using coworker scans to humiliate co workers, well you have to wonder what else goes on. That was Marshals in a courthouse but who is to say that the same can't happen with airport machines?

If the next terrorist scheme involves body cavity bombs, and there is hypothetically some way to do it without crippling air travel, how many people here would be willing to submit to body cavity searches? Where does it end? Valid question I think.

the right to fly is not covered by the constitution. nobody's rights are being infringed. they're not coming to your house and grabbing your balls.

Fucking Forth Amendment:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Yeah, that "don't touch my junk" guy was clearly trying to get a situation going, which is dumb and not a way to go about it. But I have to agree with many of the others on this issue. I am all for security and safety measures at airports, that's fine. You've got big crowds, there have been incidents, there's nothing wrong whatsoever with having a means in place to make sure everyone gets to and from their destinations safely.

This measure just seems awfully extreme, though. I don't feel comfortable with a stranger getting that invasive with their searches for me. Sorry. I just don't. I find it unsettling and creepy. Beyond that, you know this could well lead to harassment lawsuits, legitimate or false, and some people could take these jobs to use it as an excuse to be all pervy (sort of like how some people became security guards to peep at girls in dressing rooms at department stores that had cameras in place for security reasons), and there's just all sorts of problems that this will cause. I just don't get how they expect this will solve anything.

Angela

Yeah, that "don't touch my junk" guy was clearly trying to get a situation going, which is dumb and not a way to go about it.

given he looked up which airports have the machines and saw san diego wasn't on the official tsa list, i find it hard to believe he was really, really trying to get a reaction, but he probably isn't upset about making it into an issue.

and good for him, too.

yeah, exactly. i was suspicious from the beginning when they said the images can't be saved. of course they can fucking be saved. if a copier machine can save an image of every single thing printed, scanned, and copied on it then so can an digital x-ray machine computer thing.

i'm certainly all for catching the bad guys, but like others have said, this whole thing just makes me feel so weird and uncomfortable. your average tsa employee is not the sharpest tool in the shed (just one example i can think of is some not understanding some countries write dates as dd/mm/yyyy and if the first number you see is something bigger than 12 than gee maybe it's the fucking date written first, not the month so stop automatically assuming it's some fake id) and certainly doesn't care about anything other than being paid. a little kindness can go a long way and i sure hope when i have to deal with this crap when i come back to the states that i don't get some pissy agent who gets all butthurt and mad if i say "actually, you know, i don't want to be x-rayed."

The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) has issued a travel warning to Muslim airline passengers on U.S. aircraft in response to the Transportation Safety Administration’s "enhanced pat down" policy that went into effect in late October.

CAIR said Muslims who object to full-body scans for religious reasons should know their rights if they are required to undergo a pat-down, including asking for the procedure to be done in a private place. In addition, CAIR offered a “special recommendation” for Muslim women who wear a hijab, telling them they should tell the TSA officer that they may be searched only around the head and neck.

In the “special recommendations for Muslim women who wear hijab,” it states: “Before you are patted down, you should remind the TSA officer that they are only supposed to pat down the area in question, in this scenario, your head and neck. They SHOULD NOT subject you to a full-body or partial-body pat-down.”

It also states: “Instead of the pat-down, you can always request to pat down your own scarf, including head and neck area, and have the officers perform a chemical swipe of your hands.”

In February, the Figh Council of North America, a group of Islamic scholars, issued a fatwa, or religious ruling, that full-body scanners violate Islamic law.

“It is a violation of clear Islamic teaching that men or women be seen naked by other men and women,” the ruling states. “Islam highly emphasizes haya (modesty) and considers it part of the faith. The Qu’ran has commanded the believers, both men and women, to cover their private parts.”

CAIR endorsed the fatwa, according to a Feb. 21 article in the Detroit Free Press.

WASHINGTON AP -- The Transportation Security Administration says airline passengers won't get out of body imaging screening or pat-downs based on their religious beliefs.

TSA chief John Pistole told the Senate Homeland Security
Committee on Tuesday that passengers who refuse to go through a full-body scanner machine and reject a pat-down won't be allowed to board, even if they turned down the in-depth screening for religious reasons.

"That person is not going to get on an airplane," Pistole said in response to a question from Sen. John Ensign, R-Nev., on whether the TSA would provide exemptions for passengers whose religious beliefs do not allow them to go through a physically revealing body scan or be touched by screeners.

From what I have read one tip is to not wear baggy clothing-that will get you the pat down, sometimes even if you go through the scanner. Some people claim they will even put hands down your pants if they're baggy.

Even if you go through the scan they can still select you for a pat down, no matter what you're wearing.

Fucking Forth Amendment:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

but how does this apply to getting on a private airliner? something you choose to do?

they have metal detectors and searches at every school in new york city... should we get rid of them, because the majority of the people who pass through them aren't criminals? i have my bag searched when i go to the gym... should i sue them? how about we have an airline that has no security. would you fly it?

i still don't see how this violates anything in the 4th amendment, fucking or otherwise.

There's no bright line to indicate where our quest for security becomes intolerably invasive of our privacy, but we're still pretty sure the TSA hasn't yet crossed it. Although the pat-downs are seriously embarrassing, they're also usually voluntary — to avoid them, you just have to go through the scanner. And fears about the scanners have been overblown.

Images from the scanners are viewed in a separate room by an officer who never sees the passenger, whose face is automatically blurred. The TSA says the images cannot be saved, stored or printed, but privacy advocates are skeptical; the U.S. Marshals Service admitted saving 35,000 images from a full-body scanner at a Florida courtroom this summer. Having seen the less-than-titillating images produced by the scanners, we doubt that they'll show up on Internet porn sites anytime soon — or that even if they did, the subjects in them would be remotely recognizable.

Equally shrug-worthy are the complaints about safety. About half the machines being deployed use X-ray technology that exposes passengers to radiation, yet the amount is so tiny — it would take 5,000 trips through the scanner to equal the exposure of a single chest X-ray — that it's hard to take seriously as a health risk. Fliers are exposed to cosmic radiation during their flights that's many times the level of exposure from the scanners.

Body scanner or TSA pat-down: Pick your poison? - latimes.com

the ranters don't have any credibilty on these issues

they make about as much sense as the 'I want my Cuntry back! :madwife: " crowd.

Body scanner or TSA pat-down: Pick your poison? - latimes.com

the ranters don't have any credibilty on these issues

they make about as much sense as the 'I want my Cuntry back! :madwife: " crowd.

You're doing it wrong.

The 'Israelification' of airports: High security, little bother
Cathal Kelly. Staff Reporter - Toronto Star
http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/744199---israelification-high-security-little-bother

While North America's airports groan under the weight of another sea-change in security protocols, one word keeps popping out of the mouths of experts: Israelification.

That is, how can we make our airports more like Israel's, which deal with far greater terror threat with far less inconvenience.

"It is mindboggling for us Israelis to look at what happens in North America, because we went through this 50 years ago," said Rafi Sela, the president of AR Challenges, a global transportation security consultancy. He's worked with the RCMP, the U.S. Navy Seals and airports around the world.

"Israelis, unlike Canadians and Americans, don't take s--- from anybody. When the security agency in Israel (the ISA) started to tighten security and we had to wait in line for — not for hours — but 30 or 40 minutes, all hell broke loose here. We said, 'We're not going to do this. You're going to find a way that will take care of security without touching the efficiency of the airport."

That, in a nutshell is "Israelification" - a system that protects life and limb without annoying you to death.

Fliers urged to opt out of airport security en masse

Despite facing dozens of potential threats each day, the security set-up at Israel's largest hub, Tel Aviv's Ben Gurion Airport, has not been breached since 2002, when a passenger mistakenly carried a handgun onto a flight. How do they manage that?

"The first thing you do is to look at who is coming into your airport," said Sela.

The first layer of actual security that greets travellers at Tel Aviv's Ben Gurion International Airport is a roadside check. All drivers are stopped and asked two questions: How are you? Where are you coming from?

"Two benign questions. The questions aren't important. The way people act when they answer them is," Sela said.

Officers are looking for nervousness or other signs of "distress" — behavioural profiling. Sela rejects the argument that profiling is discriminatory.

"The word 'profiling' is a political invention by people who don't want to do security," he said. "To us, it doesn't matter if he's black, white, young or old. It's just his behaviour. So what kind of privacy am I really stepping on when I'm doing this?"

Once you've parked your car or gotten off your bus, you pass through the second and third security perimeters.

Armed guards outside the terminal are trained to observe passengers as they move toward the doors, again looking for odd behaviour. At Ben Gurion's half-dozen entrances, another layer of security are watching. At this point, some travellers will be randomly taken aside, and their person and their luggage run through a magnometer.

"This is to see that you don't have heavy metals on you or something that looks suspicious," said Sela.

You are now in the terminal. As you approach your airline check-in desk, a trained interviewer takes your passport and ticket. They ask a series of questions: Who packed your luggage? Has it left your side?

"The whole time, they are looking into your eyes — which is very embarrassing. But this is one of the ways they figure out if you are suspicious or not. It takes 20, 25 seconds," said Sela.

Lines are staggered. People are not allowed to bunch up into inviting targets for a bomber who has gotten this far.

At the check-in desk, your luggage is scanned immediately in a purpose-built area. Sela plays devil's advocate — what if you have escaped the attention of the first four layers of security, and now try to pass a bag with a bomb in it?

"I once put this question to Jacques Duchesneau (the former head of the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority): say there is a bag with play-doh in it and two pens stuck in the play-doh. That is 'Bombs 101' to a screener. I asked Ducheneau, 'What would you do?' And he said, 'Evacuate the terminal.' And I said, 'Oh. My. God.'

"Take Pearson. Do you know how many people are in the terminal at all times? Many thousands. Let's say I'm (doing an evacuation) without panic — which will never happen. But let's say this is the case. How long will it take? Nobody thought about it. I said, 'Two days.'"

A screener at Ben-Gurion has a pair of better options.

First, the screening area is surrounded by contoured, blast-proof glass that can contain the detonation of up to 100 kilos of plastic explosive. Only the few dozen people within the screening area need be removed, and only to a point a few metres away.

Second, all the screening areas contain 'bomb boxes'. If a screener spots a suspect bag, he/she is trained to pick it up and place it in the box, which is blast proof. A bomb squad arrives shortly and wheels the box away for further investigation.

"This is a very small simple example of how we can simply stop a problem that would cripple one of your airports," Sela said.

Five security layers down: you now finally arrive at the only one which Ben-Gurion Airport shares with Pearson — the body and hand-luggage check.

"But here it is done completely, absolutely 180 degrees differently than it is done in North America," Sela said.

"First, it's fast — there's almost no line. That's because they're not looking for liquids, they're not looking at your shoes. They're not looking for everything they look for in North America. They just look at you," said Sela. "Even today with the heightened security in North America, they will check your items to death. But they will never look at you, at how you behave. They will never look into your eyes ... and that's how you figure out the bad guys from the good guys."

That's the process — six layers, four hard, two soft. The goal at Ben-Gurion is to move fliers from the parking lot to the airport lounge in a maximum of 25 minutes.

This doesn't begin to cover the off-site security net that failed so spectacularly in targeting would-be Flight 253 bomber Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab — intelligence. In Israel, Sela said, a coordinated intelligence gathering operation produces a constantly evolving series of threat analyses and vulnerability studies.

"There is absolutely no intelligence and threat analysis done in Canada or the United States," Sela said. "Absolutely none."

But even without the intelligence, Sela maintains, Abdulmutallab would not have gotten past Ben Gurion Airport's behavioural profilers.

So. Eight years after 9/11, why are we still so reactive, so un-Israelified?

Working hard to dampen his outrage, Sela first blames our leaders, and then ourselves.

"We have a saying in Hebrew that it's much easier to look for a lost key under the light, than to look for the key where you actually lost it, because it's dark over there. That's exactly how (North American airport security officials) act," Sela said. "You can easily do what we do. You don't have to replace anything. You have to add just a little bit — technology, training. But you have to completely change the way you go about doing airport security. And that is something that the bureaucrats have a problem with. They are very well enclosed in their own concept."

And rather than fear, he suggests that outrage would be a far more powerful spur to provoking that change.

"Do you know why Israelis are so calm? We have brutal terror attacks on our civilians and still, life in Israel is pretty good. The reason is that people trust their defence forces, their police, their response teams and the security agencies. They know they're doing a good job. You can't say the same thing about Americans and Canadians. They don't trust anybody," Sela said. "But they say, 'So far, so good'. Then if something happens, all hell breaks loose and you've spent eight hours in an airport. Which is ridiculous. Not justifiable

"But, what can you do? Americans and Canadians are nice people and they will do anything because they were told to do so and because they don't know any different."

Back
Top Bottom