so, the terrorists win... - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2009, 12:08 PM   #76
Refugee

Local Time: 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyJ View Post
I still don't understand why these restrictions only apply during the last 60-90 minutes of flight time. What about the other 6+ hours or so?

I understand the need for enhanced security, however adding these latest measures just makes the thought of flying completely unbearable. I can easily see where the only people deterred from flying will be regular travelers. Terrorists won't care, they'll simply adjust their plans accordingly.
I agree. Sadly, these terrorist have come up with methods of killing. None of us would even think of. Is it true, that the man in question, didn't have a passport and was allowed to board the plane?

Old 12-30-2009, 01:01 PM   #77
Refugee

Local Time: 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn2441 View Post
it's the officer's descretion.
Exactly.

Similar to a regular cop who may or may not give you a full speeding ticket when you get caught depending on your previous record and how honest etc. you are when he approaches.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:46 PM   #78
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A stor View Post
Is it true, that the man in question, didn't have a passport and was allowed to board the plane?

Allegedly that's true, and he allegedly had some other man with him who told the person at the counter that he didn't have a passport but he had to get on the plane. That's what at least one eyewitness said. He bought a one way ticket, paid for in cash and supposedly had no luggage.

It certainly appears that there were multiple failures in that situation. But gee, the system worked. Oh yeah, that statement was taken out of context..
Old 12-30-2009, 06:33 PM   #79
She's the One

Local Time: 03:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Allegedly that's true, and he allegedly had some other man with him who told the person at the counter that he didn't have a passport but he had to get on the plane.
Are you fucking kidding me? He had no passport and somebody let him get on the plane? WTF????
Old 12-30-2009, 07:01 PM   #80
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:21 AM
Quote:
"As I’ve watched the events of the last few days it is clear once again that President Obama is trying to pretend we are not at war. He seems to think if he has a low-key response to an attempt to blow up an airliner and kill hundreds of people, we won’t be at war. He seems to think if he gives terrorists the rights of Americans, lets them lawyer up and reads them their Miranda rights, we won’t be at war. He seems to think if we bring the mastermind of Sept. 11 to New York, give him a lawyer and trial in civilian court, we won’t be at war.

“He seems to think if he closes Guantanamo and releases the hard-core Al Qaeda-trained terrorists still there, we won’t be at war. He seems to think if he gets rid of the words, ‘war on terror,’ we won’t be at war. But we are at war and when President Obama pretends we aren’t, it makes us less safe. Why doesn’t he want to admit we’re at war? It doesn’t fit with the view of the world he brought with him to the Oval Office. It doesn’t fit with what seems to be the goal of his presidency — social transformation — the restructuring of American society. President Obama’s first object and his highest responsibility must be to defend us against an enemy that knows we are at war."

-- Dick Cheney
Once again Cheney nails it.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:40 PM   #81
Blue Crack Supplier

Once again, Cheney proves himself a blowhard lackey for the GOP.

Someone lit his balls on fire on an airplane? WHY AREN'T WE BOMBING SHIT YET???
Old 12-30-2009, 09:10 PM   #82
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Yeah, the value of Cheney's opinion on what a presidential administration should do is pretty much non-existent to me.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:01 PM   #83
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntalwar View Post
How about travelers who are ultra-cooperative and polite, and get a secondary search anyway for no good reason?
This is how my brother in law is. Not only is he Malaysian (looks/race), but he's not a US citizen (though did get a green card now after getting married) and he suspects he is also targeted because of his age, since his parents don't have the same problems when they fly together. He's a really good sport about it, but it means that whenever someone brings them to the airport, they need to be there ANOTHER extra hour early just in case.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:49 PM   #84
Blue Crack Supplier

I have a friend at college from there. When he first came here this past summer, they nearly deported him because he had his name shortened by the US government, which meant it didn't match up with his identification from home.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:56 PM   #85
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
This is how my brother in law is. Not only is he Malaysian (looks/race), but he's not a US citizen (though did get a green card now after getting married) and he suspects he is also targeted because of his age, since his parents don't have the same problems when they fly together. He's a really good sport about it, but it means that whenever someone brings them to the airport, they need to be there ANOTHER extra hour early just in case.
last time i flew i got a secondary search at the gate because i was using my passport as id on a domestic us flight. i was unimpressed (especially given how many times i'd passed security checkpoints in the 30 hours before that), but i could at least see why. it took everything in me to not start quizzing the guy going through my stuff if he even knew what he was looking for.

now the black woman who ended up sitting across the aisle from me, using her tennessee driver's license? i can she why she was pissed off.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:20 AM   #86
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
we've got an enemy we can't really name, and we can't really place them except they're all over that muslim part of the world.

it's perfect for fear mongering.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:33 AM   #87
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Once again Cheney attempts to use widespread fear-mongering to beat the citizens of US into submission. Reelect the GOP, then you'll be safe!

Old 12-31-2009, 02:22 AM   #88
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Old 12-31-2009, 02:30 AM   #89
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
i agree with this cartoon, not only does the white house need to be aware of so many security breakdowns, but so does any port allowing travel anywhere in the world, not just to the united states.

but that's not what it means, is it?
Old 12-31-2009, 02:38 AM   #90
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
we've got an enemy we can't really name
They call themselves jihadists. Works for me.

Quote:
and we can't really place them except they're all over that muslim part of the world.
Don't forget posh London neighborhoods and Texas military bases.
Quote:
it's perfect for fear mongering.
It's also wildly politically incorrect which is presumably why some pretend so hard that the threat doesn't exist.