So much for Freedom of the Press

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did I miss something? Did the article state she had been diagnosed with mental illness, or is this your diagnosis?

I think you missed 'reading between the lines' this woman clearly has mental or emotional problems.

In a phone interview, Lee said that she is a Catholic priestess "with St. Juliana's in Fullerton," and that there are 60 other Catholic priestesses worldwide.

Father Paul Gins of St. Juliana's said that Lee is a member of the parish and a "well-meaning person," but that "she does not represent the church. We do not recognize women priests, and haven't for 2,000 years."

Lee said that her duties as a minister involve consecrating the host, and ministering to the disabled and elderly in convalescent homes.

She called the White House to request credentials for Obama's arrival, citing her involvement with the Georgia Informer, an independent black newspaper in Macon, Georgia.

At LAX this morning, Lee asked a Secret Service agent to take her letter to President Obama after learning that the president wasn't scheduled to take any questions at the appearance.

The staffer came and asked to see the letter. "He said his name was Worly but I doubt that was his real name," Lee said.

After "Worly" gave Lee the letter back, another staffer asked to see it, Lee said. Lee said that she'd rather give it to Obama herself when he walked by.

"'I assure you, he's not going to come by here,'" Lee recounted the man saying. "'I don't want you to yell his name. I don't want you to do anything disruptive.'"

When Lee refused to surrender the letter, the man had security remove her, Lee said.

Lee said she yelled at reporters for not sticking up for her, saying "…you did nothing. What kind of reporting is this?"

Lee said she thinks she was being discriminated against for being a priestess, and that a priest wouldn't have received the same treatment.

She said she was discriminated against because her stand for traditional marriage offended the staffer.

"The person who came to get the letter was, in my opinion, gay," Lee said. That's why he acted that way, she said, because, "why would a person jeopardize his job for craziness."

Outside the terminal, a police officer chided Lee for making a scene, she said.

"'This could've been much worse,'" she said the officer told her. "We could have cuffed you, put you in a black-and-white, and held you for 72 hours.'"

Lee - whose sister worked in a mental hospital, she said - understood the reference to the holding period for mental illness cases.

As she tearfully recounted this afternoon, she had one thing to tell the officer: "Are you trying to imply that there's something mentally wrong with me?"

The White House had no comment, deputy press secretary Josh Earnest in Washington told the Associated Press.

A call to the Georgia Informer was not returned.

I doubt they woud have carted off a male anglo Catholic Priest like that.

This is could to be detrimental to Obama capturing the needed female clergy vote.

<>

I doubt they woud have carted off a male anglo Catholic Priest like that.

This is could to be detrimental to Obama capturing the needed female clergy vote.

<>

You're right. He probably would have been pinned down and handcuffed like any other person that tried to break rank and mysteriously hand the president something. I find your speculation ridiculously obtuse...

With years of Diamond post knowledge, it should be much easier for you to spot the difference between ridiculously obtuse and cheeky sense of humour. :shrug:

Yes, the last one was an attempt at humour, but it took him a full day to come around and realize this wasn't a real issue...:shrug:

We'll have to see how long it takes fguy...

light%20bulb.jpg

Here's the video.

She seems like a rational person that was mistreated, and the people here along with the media are trying to dismiss it or ignore it-because they're uncomfortable w the message she was trying to deliver and her belief system.
<>

Uh, no. Security said they didn't want her doing anything disruptive, and when she refused to hand over the letter, she became disruptive and was removed.

Uh, no. Security said they didn't want her doing anything disruptive, and when she refused to hand over the letter, she became disruptive and was removed.

Not's not what happened.

And according to you not wanting to hand over a letter leads to being disruptive -interesting.

We're losing our freedoms.

<>

And according to you not wanting to hand over a letter leads to being disruptive -interesting.

Perhaps they would have given it back to her afterward. They were probably concerned she would break security protocol to give it to him, so without the letter she'd have no reason to jump the barrier.

Doesn't seem to me from the video that she was mistreated at all.

We're losing our freedoms.

<>

Right. What freedom did she lose here? The freedom to walk up to the President of the United States and hand him a letter?

Such a tragedy.

Don't even tell me this is related to freedom of the press, either. She still has every freedom to publish a column with the exact contents of the letter and more, without censorship.

Back
Top Bottom