So let me get this straight... - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2010, 09:12 AM   #76
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBeaver View Post
I, for one, don't mind what my parents had done to me.

would you know any better?

i, for one, am still mourning my loss. i never got to know it.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:49 AM   #77
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBeaver View Post
They were talking about cancer in the posts above me, which is, as far as I know, not contagious. I don't know anything about HPV. The point I was trying to make was that if you're not putting others at risk, you should not have to get an injection.
Um, HPV is contagious and some strains lead to cancer

Old 05-05-2010, 10:06 AM   #78
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Um, HPV is contagious and some strains lead to cancer
I was not talking about HPV specifically when I made my post.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:11 PM   #79
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:58 PM
CNN, Oct. 25
Quote:
A federal government advisory committee voted Tuesday to recommend that boys and young men, from ages 11 to 21, be vaccinated against the human papilloma virus, commonly referred to as HPV. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices says the vaccine series can be started as early as age 9.

...Although the vaccine has been approved for males since 2009, it hasn't been as heavily promoted for them. One reason for the push now is that girls aren't getting vaccinated in the numbers doctors expected. "If the boys are also immunized, it reduces the transmission back and forth," said Dr. William Schaffner, chairman of the Department of Preventative Medicine at Vanderbilt University, who attended the CDC meeting as an adviser but not a voting member. By receiving the vaccine, boys will also be protected against cancers of the penis and rectum. Also, there is growing evidence of HPV causing the recent increase in head and neck cancer. A study released earlier this month found approximately 70% of all oropharyngeal cancers are caused by HPV infection. The HPV vaccine protects against both, according to Schaffner. Earlier this year, the American Academy of Pediatrics began including the HPV vaccine on its list of recommended vaccines for boys.

The HPV vaccine became a political hot potato when Republican presidential contender Michele Bachmann was critical of fellow Republican contender and Texas Gov. Rick Perry's support of the vaccine for girls. In 2007, he signed an executive order that required Texas schoolgirls to receive vaccinations against HPV, although it wasn't implemented.
In a now-long-archived thread about this years back, someone predicted attitudes towards the vaccine would change dramatically once it was recommended for boys...guess we're about to find out.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:18 PM   #80
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:58 PM
a quick glance at this

I hope this vaccine takes hold now for young males,
perhaps decent folks can agree that in the event their virtuous daughter gets raped, it would be even a little more tragic if she also got cervical cancer.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:59 PM   #81
Blue Crack Supplier

but fear mongering is all we have to regulate the teenage sexual behavior of sportos/motorheads/geeks/sluts/bloods/wasteoids/dweebies/dickheads, etc.

if we lose that, then are they going to walk around thinking that pleasure is good, shame is bad, and knowledge is both power and freedom?
Old 10-26-2011, 01:49 AM   #82
Blue Crack Addict

I had a very good health teacher when I was 16, as did my entire school. He taught us about alcohol, drugs, sex, and diseases you can get from those things. Obviously many of us knew about those things before we got to 10th grade, but it was still good to have him filling in the blanks of our understanding. My high school was better for having him around.

I had a graduating class of 400. Not one of us was involved in a pregnancy.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:59 AM   #83
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post

this is a joke?

right?
Old 10-26-2011, 03:13 AM   #84
Blue Crack Addict

No one from my graduating class got pregnant (females) or got someone pregnant (males). If there were abortions, I knew nothing of them, but really, we just knew about condoms and all of that pretty damn early on.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:22 AM   #85
Blue Crack Addict

it is not possible for you to say if any of the sperm from those 200 boys led to conception

and as you said any of the girls could have been pregnant and had abortions
all you can say is that you don't recall any of the girls showing or giving birth

knowing about condoms does not stop people from getting pregnant
Old 10-26-2011, 10:38 AM   #86
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post

so you're saying that, like most high schools, roughly 50% had had sex by the time of graduation, and yet there were no instances of unwanted pregnancies?

it sounds like people were making good decisions about sex and taking responsibility for their choices, rather than being punished for making ignorant choices and letting their lives be run by fear.

for shame.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:45 AM   #87
Blue Crack Addict

Obviously no one can say for sure that there were no instances of unwanted pregnancy.

And yes like deep said, knowing about condoms and being responsible is not a guarantee.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:17 PM   #88
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
knowing about condoms does not stop people from getting pregnant
Not aimed at anyone in here, but this is one of my pet peeves, the glib and superficial type of pro-sex-ed argument that basically says the reproductive system is like a household appliance, we just need to make sure kids read the manual and 'information' will fix all. For certain issues such as STIs, basic lack of information truly is a major problem, but it's not a significant reason why kids get pregnant. The value of sex-ed lies much more in supportive socialization--conveying the message that discussing birth control with prospective sex partner(s) is normal and responsible and good, that boys are as accountable as girls for preventing unwanted pregancies, that both pregnancy and parenting are huge commitments and not to be taken for granted as something that just happens, that deciding on and setting your own boundaries is your responsibility and you will own the consequences, not your partners or your parents. It also really bothers me when people condemn the attitude that kids and especially girls who have sex are shameful and bad (a condemnation I agree with) but then turn around and unmistakably convey an attitude that kids and especially girls who have babies are shameful and bad. I grew up in a school district with one of the highest teen pregnancy rates in the country, so I really feel very strongly about this--people that assume 'these kids' are degenerate, prematurely sexualized hedonists who just need abstinence and 'family values' lectures have their heads in the sand and are full of shit, and so are people who assume they're clueless, I-hate-and-fear-my-body holy rollers who just need 'information' and reassurance that sexuality is good.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:50 PM   #89
Forum Moderator

This is kind of entertaining

She May Look Clean--But...: The Seductive Villains of Early STD-Prevention Posters - Slate

They're from the 1940s; a few are in Cubist style, which seemed unexpected enough to strike me as funny.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:01 PM   #90
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
conveying the message that discussing birth control with prospective sex partner(s) is normal and responsible and good, that boys are as accountable as girls for preventing unwanted pregancies, that both pregnancy and parenting are huge commitments and not to be taken for granted as something that just happens, that deciding on and setting your own boundaries is your responsibility and you will own the consequences, not your partners or your parents.
people that assume 'these kids' are degenerate, prematurely sexualized hedonists who just need abstinence and 'family values' lectures have their heads in the sand and are full of shit, and so are people who assume they're clueless, I-hate-and-fear-my-body holy rollers who just need 'information' and reassurance that sexuality is good.
Which doesn't even begin to explain (or maybe it does) why "ADULTS" have the same problem.
(but that's another thread entirely)