Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2010, 01:29 PM   #61
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AttnKleinkind View Post
In the case of HPV, the potential for cancer does not seem great enough to warrant me to go to have a new vaccine which no one knows the long-term effects of yet. If the risk for cancer was much greater, I'd definitely weigh the risks and possibly consider the vaccine, but right now, due to the nature of HPV and the low potential for cervical cancer, to me it's more of a risk to actually take the vaccine.
And me I'd avoid cancer at all costs, if the common cold could lead to cancer, I'd get a vaccine.

But that's just me

Old 05-01-2010, 06:12 PM   #62
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 09:42 PM
Well everything in life carries a risk doesn't it? We get into cars everyday, walk the streets, eat food that could potentially kill us, do things every day where we could die but for the majority we walk the line and we live to fight another day.
Most vaccines/operations etc come with risk. A family friend went in for a routine gall bladder operation and almost died staying in a coma for over 2 weeks and finally four months after the operation left the hospital. However another family friend went in for her gall bladder operation just the othher week and is out and fine even though she knew about our other friend. She just knew the risks were low, like Gardasil.

I got the injection and I was fine. All three times months apart and nothing bad happened except the 3rd needle hurt like a bitch! 10 friends got it as well, and so far no reactions. Sure some people died but perhaps there was more too it then just the gardasil, or maybe the were allergic to something in it. Like someone said we don't come out of the womb knowing what we're allergic too until it all goes pear shaped.

At the end of the day we have to take the risk and so far the risk of Gardasil reactions is so so so low. I'd rather know i'm never going to get cervical cancer because of it.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:56 PM   #63
War Child

Local Time: 10:42 AM
The problem I have with this vaccine is this: out of all the eleventy billion types of HPV out there, there's an infinitesimal number that will cause cancer. Now, I'm all for safety, but am I really, seriously supposed to worry that I might, maybe, get that particular virus?

Really?

No. I'm not going to. I'm fine with having a regular pap smear.

There are times when one just doesn't need to be quite so phobic.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:31 PM   #64
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devlin View Post
The problem I have with this vaccine is this: out of all the eleventy billion types of HPV out there, there's an infinitesimal number that will cause cancer. Now, I'm all for safety, but am I really, seriously supposed to worry that I might, maybe, get that particular virus?

Really?

No. I'm not going to. I'm fine with having a regular pap smear.

There are times when one just doesn't need to be quite so phobic.
There are not eleventy bilion types of HPV, I believe the number is something like 150. Two of which are responsible for 70% of all cervical cancers.

That's your judgment call to make. I like my odds with Gardasil better. Particularly in light of the terrible 'science' about the scary death effects of the vaccine.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:46 AM   #65
War Child

'Eleventy billion' is not a literal number in this case, anitram. Exaggeration, my friend.

See, to me, worrying about whether I might, maybe, contract one of the two viruses that might give me cancer is silly. The odds are fairly low; I'm actually celibate and have been for awhile. Of course, I could already have HPV. I could possibly already have one of the cancer making ones, in which case a vaccine isn't likely to do me any good.

The fact is, looking at my family history, I'm likelier to die of another kind of cancer. The same one that killed my grandmother, her mother, and at least one of her aunts. cancer of the digestive tract. I'm slightly more worried about that. Or the family history of depression. My mother and both my uncles have that. Yes. These are things that worry me.

The possibility of getting cancer of the uterus does not worry me at all.

Considering the fact that I don't like my uterus and wish it gone, the damn thing's lucky I'll get a pap smear on it. And that's only because I'm hoping they'll find something which will require its removal (this, too is a joke. I don't really want a serious illness), posthaste.

But hey, to each her own -- you like the vaccine. I don't.

It should never be required that all girls get this. At some point, we have to allow for individual will.

This one just depends on too many what ifs for me. I might get it, I might not. But I'm supposed to get a vaccine for it anyway?

I think not.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:01 PM   #66
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah, a lot of people don't die from cancer, so why would I take preventative measures to decrease my chances further? That would just be silly.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:21 PM   #67
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
There are not eleventy bilion types of HPV, I believe the number is something like 150.
150 that we KNOW about. There totally could be another tenty billion, nine-hundred ninetly-ninety million, nine hundred and ninety-nine thousand, eight hundred and fifty types out there. You don't know that there aren't. Not everything is so black and white.

I'm of the opinion that if the disease isn't contagious, and you don't want the vaccine, that's your prerogative. I don't think anyone should ever be forced to get something they don't want injected into them.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:57 PM   #68
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBeaver View Post
I'm of the opinion that if the disease isn't contagious, and you don't want the vaccine, that's your prerogative. I don't think anyone should ever be forced to get something they don't want injected into them.
Are you saying you don't think HPV is contagious?
Old 05-04-2010, 06:28 PM   #69
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:42 AM
not like polio or measles
Old 05-04-2010, 06:29 PM   #70
Blue Crack Distributor

Yeah, I think he was making the distinction about the decision not to vaccinate for HPV, versus not vaccinating for measles and the possibility of becoming a walking health hazard.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:34 PM   #71
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

True, I guess one can say if they are celibate or both parties have only been with one person then they are not at risk.

So that would be how much of the adult population?
Old 05-04-2010, 06:34 PM   #72
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Yeah, I think he was making the distinction about the decision not to vaccinate for HPV, versus not vaccinating for measles and the possibility of becoming a walking health hazard.

a walking hazard vs a laying hazard

I don't do as much walking as I used to.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:26 PM   #73
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBeaver View Post
I don't think anyone should ever be forced to get something they don't want injected into them.

and yet, we joyfully mutilate an infant's penis every day.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:42 AM   #74
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Are you saying you don't think HPV is contagious?

They were talking about cancer in the posts above me, which is, as far as I know, not contagious. I don't know anything about HPV. The point I was trying to make was that if you're not putting others at risk, you should not have to get an injection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
and yet, we joyfully mutilate an infant's penis every day.
I, for one, don't mind what my parents had done to me.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:44 AM   #75
War Child

Irvine: Yes. Because it's 'for their own good'. The same excuse they're using to try and force the HPV vaccine to be mandatory. Hysteria will do that for you.

PhilsFan: Who said you couldn't take the vaccine? Really, if you want to, go on and do it. I don't want to. I don't believe it should be mandatory. It should be optional. If a woman or girl does not want it, she should not be forced to have it. HPV is not polio. It is not smallpox. Sure, it might possibly, if you catch the right strain, give you cancer, but it's not going to give the five people sitting next to you cancer as well. I'm not downplaying cancer in the slightest -- especially because I had a grandmother die of cancer --, but it isn't the same thing, not at all. We need to keep the hysteria to a minimum.