Smoke 'Em if You've Got 'Em

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tobacco is one of my preferred drugs

But, then I really am not a regular user, very much.

It is odd how many tobacco Nazis there are around these days.

Some people rant about it,
and then argue for relaxing pot laws. Can people take them seriously?

it's quite possible to support the legality of both products and still think that both are harmful to health (though one is far more harmful than the other.)

P.S. -- i can't believe Bono didn't make the list!!!

jesus-christ_smoking.jpg

I think they both smell horrid and make the person smoking it smell bad as well.

I don't think either should necessarily be criminalized, however.

But you'll find that the "ranting" about cigarettes is more common because obviously most people find themselves around tobacco smoke regularly as opposed to marijuana smoke. (Remove the college-age crowd and you've probably got a good 80% of marijuana smokers gone).

That's not the best list. I would never put Clapton or Elvis in a top greatest Rock and Roll smokers list. First of all, Clapton isn't cool period. Elvis was obviously a bad motherfucker but do you associate him with smoking? No. Not at all.

I'd put Slash up there maybe just because of the iconic image of him playing a guitar solo, drunk as hell with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. I even think of Cobain with a cigarette more so than Clapton or Presley. Although, Dylan and Richards being the top two is pretty appropriate.

By the way, I am a cigarette smoker and any law or rule of this sort that can potentially keep a kid from picking up the habit is a good thing. :up:

Practically every high school baseball player dips in this area, so that would be something if it was criminalized.

Marijuana should be legal, and this is coming from someone who has never smoked it and has no intention to.

I'm not a tobacco smoker and likely never will be. I think the habit's gross and pointless, but if somebody else wants to do it, who am I to stop them? A good chunk of my friends smoke, and they all know how stupid I think it is, but I'm also not going to lecture them about it. I'm sure they get enough of that as it is. I think some of the smoking bans that are coming about are getting ridiculous. Inside, and in some public areas? Sure, ban smoking. But, out on the sidewalk or in one's own lawn? Let it go. It's not illegal, as much as some might wish it to be.

As for marijuana, yeah, it should be legal. Considering there's never been a proven case of lung cancer associated with that, and there's been thousands upon thousands of cases from tobacco (not to mention the deaths linked to alcohol), I think it's safe to say that marijuana's the less harmful of those. Of course, that isn't to say that smoking pot isn't harmful, because, quite obviously, smoking anything is damaging. But, I digress, since that isn't really the issue at hand here.

How is Keith Richards still alive? Anyone?

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama is set to sign into law an anti-smoking bill that will give the Food and Drug Administration unprecedented authority to regulate tobacco.

Obama is scheduled to sign the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act during an event Monday in the Rose Garden. The law allows the FDA to reduce nicotine in tobacco products, ban candy flavorings and block labels such "low tar" and "light." Tobacco companies also will be required to cover their cartons with large graphic warnings.

The law won't let the FDA ban nicotine or tobacco outright, but the agency will be able to regulate what goes into tobacco products, make public the ingredients and prohibit marketing campaigns, especially those geared toward children.

Anti-smoking advocates looked forward to the bill after years of attempts to control an industry so fundamental to the U.S. that carved tobacco leaves adorn some parts of the Capitol.

Opponents from tobacco-growing states like top-producing North Carolina argued that the FDA has proved through a series of food safety failures that it's not up to the job. They also said that instead of unrealistically trying to get smokers to quit or to prevent others from starting, lawmakers should ensure that people have other options, like smokeless tobacco.

As president, George W. Bush opposed the legislation and threatened a veto after it passed the House last year. The Obama administration, by contrast, issued a statement declaring strong support for the measure.

Obama has spoken publicly of his own struggles to quit cigarettes

I do not smoke or dip anything but I don't believe it should be illegal or severely restricted. If people want to smoke it that is their business. If others don't want to breathe it/smell it, they can get out of the way our nicely ask the smoker to stop. We have too many restrictive laws already, we don't need any more arbitration in our lives.

Some people say that those in the military should be allowed to smoke, given what they face on a daily basis when they are in the trenches/front lines, whatever you want to call it. It is one of the last bastions of smoking freedom.

WASHINGTON, July 12 (UPI) -- A proposed ban on tobacco would end sales on U.S. military bases and prohibit uniformed soldiers from smoking, even in combat, authorities said.

The ban was proposed in a study commissioned by the Pentagon and the Department of Veterans Affairs, USA Today reported.

The study, which recommends phasing out tobacco products during a 5- to 10-year period, said tobacco use impairs military readiness and can cause lung cancer and cardiovascular disease, CNN reported Sunday.

While any final decision rests with Defense Secretary Robert Gates, many in uniform would oppose such a ban, said retired Gen. Russel Honore, known for his ever-present cigar when he coordinated military relief efforts after Hurricane Katrina.

"When you're tired and you've been going days on end with minimum sleep, and you are not getting the proper meals on time, that hit of tobacco can make a difference," Honore said.

One in three U.S. service members uses tobacco, compared with one in five adult Americans overall, the VA said, noting combat veterans are 50 percent more likely to use tobacco than soldiers who haven't seen combat.

Well we must be getting closer to universal health care then. I wonder what they'll want us to stop doing next.

Back
Top Bottom