Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Very 1990s.
That was my thought...

Old 05-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:41 AM
i dunno, i think they've managed to attract a whole lot of attention for the cause - it was in the news in Europe a few days ago as well... it's a really important issue, and i think they're just shining the spotlight on how ingrained this attitude is, especially coming from a civil servant who is meant to "protect" us and who should know better, and maybe they're also having a bit of fun with it as well, to get the message across, why not? maybe some kind of shock tactics too?

Old 05-09-2011, 02:26 PM   #18
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:41 PM
The word "slut" is so arbitrary, anyway. How do you define it? Someone who sleeps with "a lot" of people, right?

Well, who decides what is "a lot"? You? Then you're just saying that the person sleeps with more people than you personally are comfortable with for yourself. So quit being so judgmental, because you don't get to decide how many is "too many" for anyone else.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:11 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:41 PM
I live right downtown Toronto and had no idea there was a slut walk
Old 05-09-2011, 08:35 PM   #20
Blue Crack Distributor

Ha, I just found out there's one of these scheduled for Seattle next month.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:21 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

I thought this was going to be about a controversial new website where people uploaded videos of girls on weekend mornings doing the walk of shame.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:59 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
The word "slut" is so arbitrary, anyway. How do you define it?
anyone that has more sex than me.
is a slut.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:25 PM   #23
Mirror Ball Man 2.0

Local Time: 11:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
I live right downtown Toronto and had no idea there was a slut walk
There you go...April 3rd was the date....

Toronto 'slut walk' takes to city streets - Toronto - CBC News

U2BROTHR's JOSHUA TREE TOUR
Vancouver Toronto Boston Buffalo
Old 05-09-2011, 11:35 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Judging from the pictures, I didn't miss much
More like mutt walk. amirite, fellas?
Old 05-10-2011, 01:30 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

yesiree, a mutt walk
Old 05-10-2011, 02:46 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:41 AM
A cultural standard which allows men to blame someone other than themselves for predatory expressions of sexuality -- as though boys will be boys, and you know, we can't really expect them to have self-control -- is a problem.

A cultural standard which says that women have to be sexualized in order to get attention -- as though increasingly threadbare outfits worn by younger and younger girls are just harmless expressions of feminism -- is a problem.

I wish everyone could raise their hands and say "I contribute to the problem." That feels like the real way to see change. I think it would be great if everyone took some responsibility and ownership. We don't live in a world of islands. Everything we do has an effect on everything else.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:16 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoMac View Post
Since I'm a guy, I probably should not even be responding, but I think their point is two-fold: first, they're taking ownership of the term and, secondly, (and the main point) they're saying that what they wear should have no bearing on the actions that men take.

So I don't believe they're displaying it with pride.
On the contrary, as a guy, you should be responding. I'd like to see many more men speaking out against this attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977 View Post
A cultural standard which allows men to blame someone other than themselves for predatory expressions of sexuality -- as though boys will be boys, and you know, we can't really expect them to have self-control -- is a problem.

A cultural standard which says that women have to be sexualized in order to get attention -- as though increasingly threadbare outfits worn by younger and younger girls are just harmless expressions of feminism -- is a problem.

I wish everyone could raise their hands and say "I contribute to the problem." That feels like the real way to see change. I think it would be great if everyone took some responsibility and ownership. We don't live in a world of islands. Everything we do has an effect on everything else.
Uh, no. Women in no way contribute to the problem of being sexually harassed or assaulted. That's the point. Blame lies 100% on the perpetrator. The over sexualization of women in the media and society in general is an entirely different debate and has no place in this discussion.

As a woman, I've been told my entire life to be careful, don't go out alone at night, cover up, be careful, don't take any short cuts down any dark streets, stay in groups, be careful, BE CAREFUL! It's taught from an early age and drilled into our heads throughout our lives. Shouldn't it be drilled into men's heads from infancy that all sexual contact should be 100% consensual and if it's not, uhh, CONTROL YOURSELF?

Rather than raising girls to be like frightened rabbits, jumping at the slightest noise or shadow, shouldn't we be raising boys to have respect and self-control?

I was attacked by a man with clearly one purpose in mind. To this day, I still find myself saying "It was after 10 at night, I shouldn't have been out at that time of night by myself." It seems so automatic to self-blame and turn the focus inward. It's all very backwards.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:17 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafrun View Post
Blame lies 100% on the perpetrator. The over sexualization of women in the media and society in general is an entirely different debate and has no place in this discussion.
I absolutely agree with your first point, and said so myself, but I'm not sure that the oversexualization of our culture has no role to play in this. Regardless, I was not trying to say that victims should raise their hands, but rather those who are responsible for the hypersexualization of our culture -- both consumers and creators.

Quote:
As a woman, I've been told my entire life to be careful, don't go out alone at night, cover up, be careful, don't take any short cuts down any dark streets, stay in groups, be careful, BE CAREFUL! It's taught from an early age and drilled into our heads throughout our lives. Shouldn't it be drilled into men's heads from infancy that all sexual contact should be 100% consensual and if it's not, uhh, CONTROL YOURSELF?
I'm not sure this is an either/or situation. I don't want my house to be broken into, so I lock my door -- not because I ask for my house to be broken into by leaving it unlocked, but because, to a certain extent, my personal safety is my responsibility, in addition to the responsibility of the thief to stay out. This is the point that I was trying to make, however ineptly.

And I am very sorry for what happened to you.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:52 AM   #29
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977 View Post
I'm not sure this is an either/or situation. I don't want my house to be broken into, so I lock my door -- not because I ask for my house to be broken into by leaving it unlocked, but because, to a certain extent, my personal safety is my responsibility, in addition to the responsibility of the thief to stay out. This is the point that I was trying to make, however ineptly.
BUT you can lock the door, have an alarm system and do all the right things and still get your house broken into. And I think that's the point. This is NOT a "it takes two to tango" type of situation the majority of the time. I think the point of this walk is to say that it shouldn't matter what I wear. I could wear a turtleneck or a bikini, neither of which is an invitation.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:54 AM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by indra View Post
And here I was thinking a Slut Walk was kinda like a Pub Crawl....
i thought it was another name for the walk of shame.