SlutWalks - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-09-2011, 02:13 PM   #16
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Very 1990s.
That was my thought...
__________________

__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 05-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
mama cass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,906
Local Time: 04:41 AM
i dunno, i think they've managed to attract a whole lot of attention for the cause - it was in the news in Europe a few days ago as well... it's a really important issue, and i think they're just shining the spotlight on how ingrained this attitude is, especially coming from a civil servant who is meant to "protect" us and who should know better, and maybe they're also having a bit of fun with it as well, to get the message across, why not? maybe some kind of shock tactics too?
__________________

__________________
mama cass is offline  
Old 05-09-2011, 02:26 PM   #18
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,731
Local Time: 07:41 PM
The word "slut" is so arbitrary, anyway. How do you define it? Someone who sleeps with "a lot" of people, right?

Well, who decides what is "a lot"? You? Then you're just saying that the person sleeps with more people than you personally are comfortable with for yourself. So quit being so judgmental, because you don't get to decide how many is "too many" for anyone else.
__________________
corianderstem is offline  
Old 05-09-2011, 04:11 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 10:41 PM
I live right downtown Toronto and had no idea there was a slut walk
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline  
Old 05-09-2011, 08:35 PM   #20
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,731
Local Time: 07:41 PM
Ha, I just found out there's one of these scheduled for Seattle next month.
__________________
corianderstem is offline  
Old 05-09-2011, 10:21 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,894
Local Time: 10:41 PM
I thought this was going to be about a controversial new website where people uploaded videos of girls on weekend mornings doing the walk of shame.
__________________
PhilsFan is offline  
Old 05-09-2011, 10:59 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
The word "slut" is so arbitrary, anyway. How do you define it?
anyone that has more sex than me.
is a slut.
__________________
deep is offline  
Old 05-09-2011, 11:25 PM   #23
Mirror Ball Man 2.0
 
U2BROTHR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,595
Local Time: 11:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
I live right downtown Toronto and had no idea there was a slut walk
There you go...April 3rd was the date....

Toronto 'slut walk' takes to city streets - Toronto - CBC News
__________________
CLICK HERE TO WATCH "U2BROTHR" THE FULL LENGTH DOCUMENTARY


U2BROTHR's JOSHUA TREE TOUR
Vancouver Toronto Boston Buffalo
U2BROTHR is offline  
Old 05-09-2011, 11:35 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 10:41 PM
Judging from the pictures, I didn't miss much
More like mutt walk. amirite, fellas?
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline  
Old 05-10-2011, 01:30 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 07:41 PM


yesiree, a mutt walk
__________________
deep is offline  
Old 05-10-2011, 02:46 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Strong Badia
Posts: 3,430
Local Time: 03:41 AM
A cultural standard which allows men to blame someone other than themselves for predatory expressions of sexuality -- as though boys will be boys, and you know, we can't really expect them to have self-control -- is a problem.

A cultural standard which says that women have to be sexualized in order to get attention -- as though increasingly threadbare outfits worn by younger and younger girls are just harmless expressions of feminism -- is a problem.

I wish everyone could raise their hands and say "I contribute to the problem." That feels like the real way to see change. I think it would be great if everyone took some responsibility and ownership. We don't live in a world of islands. Everything we do has an effect on everything else.
__________________
nathan1977 is offline  
Old 05-10-2011, 03:16 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict
 
kafrun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Upside-down
Posts: 19,644
Local Time: 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoMac View Post
Since I'm a guy, I probably should not even be responding, but I think their point is two-fold: first, they're taking ownership of the term and, secondly, (and the main point) they're saying that what they wear should have no bearing on the actions that men take.

So I don't believe they're displaying it with pride.
On the contrary, as a guy, you should be responding. I'd like to see many more men speaking out against this attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977 View Post
A cultural standard which allows men to blame someone other than themselves for predatory expressions of sexuality -- as though boys will be boys, and you know, we can't really expect them to have self-control -- is a problem.

A cultural standard which says that women have to be sexualized in order to get attention -- as though increasingly threadbare outfits worn by younger and younger girls are just harmless expressions of feminism -- is a problem.

I wish everyone could raise their hands and say "I contribute to the problem." That feels like the real way to see change. I think it would be great if everyone took some responsibility and ownership. We don't live in a world of islands. Everything we do has an effect on everything else.
Uh, no. Women in no way contribute to the problem of being sexually harassed or assaulted. That's the point. Blame lies 100% on the perpetrator. The over sexualization of women in the media and society in general is an entirely different debate and has no place in this discussion.

As a woman, I've been told my entire life to be careful, don't go out alone at night, cover up, be careful, don't take any short cuts down any dark streets, stay in groups, be careful, BE CAREFUL! It's taught from an early age and drilled into our heads throughout our lives. Shouldn't it be drilled into men's heads from infancy that all sexual contact should be 100% consensual and if it's not, uhh, CONTROL YOURSELF?

Rather than raising girls to be like frightened rabbits, jumping at the slightest noise or shadow, shouldn't we be raising boys to have respect and self-control?

I was attacked by a man with clearly one purpose in mind. To this day, I still find myself saying "It was after 10 at night, I shouldn't have been out at that time of night by myself." It seems so automatic to self-blame and turn the focus inward. It's all very backwards.
__________________
kafrun is offline  
Old 05-10-2011, 04:17 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Strong Badia
Posts: 3,430
Local Time: 03:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafrun View Post
Blame lies 100% on the perpetrator. The over sexualization of women in the media and society in general is an entirely different debate and has no place in this discussion.
I absolutely agree with your first point, and said so myself, but I'm not sure that the oversexualization of our culture has no role to play in this. Regardless, I was not trying to say that victims should raise their hands, but rather those who are responsible for the hypersexualization of our culture -- both consumers and creators.

Quote:
As a woman, I've been told my entire life to be careful, don't go out alone at night, cover up, be careful, don't take any short cuts down any dark streets, stay in groups, be careful, BE CAREFUL! It's taught from an early age and drilled into our heads throughout our lives. Shouldn't it be drilled into men's heads from infancy that all sexual contact should be 100% consensual and if it's not, uhh, CONTROL YOURSELF?
I'm not sure this is an either/or situation. I don't want my house to be broken into, so I lock my door -- not because I ask for my house to be broken into by leaving it unlocked, but because, to a certain extent, my personal safety is my responsibility, in addition to the responsibility of the thief to stay out. This is the point that I was trying to make, however ineptly.

And I am very sorry for what happened to you.
__________________
nathan1977 is offline  
Old 05-10-2011, 06:52 AM   #29
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977 View Post
I'm not sure this is an either/or situation. I don't want my house to be broken into, so I lock my door -- not because I ask for my house to be broken into by leaving it unlocked, but because, to a certain extent, my personal safety is my responsibility, in addition to the responsibility of the thief to stay out. This is the point that I was trying to make, however ineptly.
BUT you can lock the door, have an alarm system and do all the right things and still get your house broken into. And I think that's the point. This is NOT a "it takes two to tango" type of situation the majority of the time. I think the point of this walk is to say that it shouldn't matter what I wear. I could wear a turtleneck or a bikini, neither of which is an invitation.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 05-10-2011, 07:54 AM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier
 
IWasBored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 36,505
Local Time: 11:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by indra View Post
And here I was thinking a Slut Walk was kinda like a Pub Crawl....
i thought it was another name for the walk of shame.
__________________

__________________
IWasBored is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com