SlutWalks - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 11:38 PM   #151
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:19 AM
I'm usually pretty quick to call overreaction with the response to articles like this, but then I read it. It's pretty fucked up. Says a lot more about what goes on in that guy's head than anything else

Old 06-21-2011, 09:39 AM   #152
Blue Crack Addict

"Dilbert" creator Scott Adams is finding himself in hot water again—this time with a blog post saying rape is a "natural instinct" for men.

The Dilbert creator wrote the post, called "Pegs and Holes," on his personal blog.

The cartoonist wrote a blog musing:

Powerful men have been behaving badly, e.g. tweeting, raping, cheating, and being offensive to just about everyone in the entire world. The current view of such things is that the men are to blame for their own bad behavior. That seems right. Obviously we shouldn’t blame the victims.

But then he starts blaming society:

All I’m saying is that society has evolved to keep males in a state of continuous unfulfilled urges, more commonly known as unhappiness. No one planned it that way. Things just drifted in that direction ... But in general, society is organized as a virtual prison for men’s natural desires.

Yes, Scott Adams believes it's all society's fault.

So, what are we going to do?

He writes, "Long term, I think science will come up with a drug that keeps men chemically castrated for as long as they are on it. It sounds bad, but I suspect that if a man loses his urge for sex, he also doesn’t miss it."

Adams concedes that this might sound like a horrible world, but he says, "You’d have no rape, fewer divorces, stronger friendships, and a lot of other advantages. I think that’s where we’re headed in a few generations."

The ultra offensive blog post has been skewered all over the Internet, leaving most wondering if, instead of his thoughts on rape, Scott Adams can explain why he keeps blogging.

Pegs and Holes
Jun 15, 2011 General Nonsense | Notify

If you have a round peg that doesn’t fit in a square hole, do you blame the peg or the hole? You probably blame neither. We don’t assign blame to inanimate objects. But you might have some questions about the person who provided you with these mismatched items and set you up to fail.

If a lion and a zebra show up at the same watering hole, and the lion kills the zebra, whose fault is that? Maybe you say the lion is at fault for doing the killing. Maybe you say the zebra should have chosen a safer watering hole. But in the end, you probably conclude that both animals acted according to their natures, so no one is to blame. However, if this is your local zoo, you might have some questions about who put the lions with the zebras in the same habitat.

Now consider human males. No doubt you have noticed an alarming trend in the news. Powerful men have been behaving badly, e.g. tweeting, raping, cheating, and being offensive to just about everyone in the entire world. The current view of such things is that the men are to blame for their own bad behavior. That seems right. Obviously we shouldn’t blame the victims. I think we all agree on that point. Blame and shame are society’s tools for keeping things under control.

The part that interests me is that society is organized in such a way that the natural instincts of men are shameful and criminal while the natural instincts of women are mostly legal and acceptable. In other words, men are born as round pegs in a society full of square holes. Whose fault is that? Do you blame the baby who didn’t ask to be born male? Or do you blame the society that brought him into the world, all round-pegged and turgid, and said, “Here’s your square hole”?

The way society is organized at the moment, we have no choice but to blame men for bad behavior. If we allowed men to act like unrestrained horny animals, all hell would break loose. All I’m saying is that society has evolved to keep males in a state of continuous unfulfilled urges, more commonly known as unhappiness. No one planned it that way. Things just drifted in that direction.

Consider Hugh Hefner. He had every benefit of being a single man, and yet he decided he needed to try marriage. Marriage didn’t work out, so he tried the single life again. That didn’t work out, so he planned to get married again, although reportedly the wedding just got called off. For Hef, being single didn’t work, and getting married didn’t work, at least not in the long run. Society didn’t offer him a round hole for his round peg. All it offered were unlimited square holes.

To be fair, if a man meets and marries the right woman, and she fulfills his needs, he might have no desire to tweet his meat to strangers. Everyone is different. But in general, society is organized as a virtual prison for men’s natural desires. I don’t have a solution in mind. It’s a zero sum game. If men get everything they want, women lose, and vice versa. And there’s no real middle ground because that would look like tweeting a picture of your junk with your underpants still on. Some things just don’t have a compromise solution.

Long term, I think science will come up with a drug that keeps men chemically castrated for as long as they are on it. It sounds bad, but I suspect that if a man loses his urge for sex, he also doesn’t miss it. Men and women would also need a second drug that increases oxytocin levels in couples who want to bond. Copulation will become extinct. Men who want to reproduce will stop taking the castration drug for a week, fill a few jars with sperm for artificial insemination, and go back on the castration pill.

That might sound to you like a horrible world. But the oxytocin would make us a society of huggers, and no one would be treated as a sex object. You’d have no rape, fewer divorces, stronger friendships, and a lot of other advantages. I think that’s where we’re headed in a few generations.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:33 PM   #153
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:19 AM
Quote:
On mainstream television (Newsnight) the Conservative MP Louise Bagshawe said that the word "slut" could never be reclaimed, would always be a horrible word, because it "lionised promiscuity". Meanwhile, in mainstream print (the Sunday Times), columnist Minette Marrin wrote: "There is no universal human right to dress and behave like a sluttish streetwalker touting for sex, without occasionally being taken for one."
Feminism in the 21st century | Zoe Williams | Books | The Guardian
Old 08-03-2011, 06:01 PM   #154
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 07:19 AM
So they held one of these in Delhi last weekend, under the Hindi name Besharmi Morcha (lit., "Shameless Front"--besharam is often used in a gender-specific way to slam a woman for 'unladylike' behavior, and that's "front" in the sense of vanguard). Delhi has a rather bad reputation within India as a woman-unfriendly city, with a shockingly high rape rate by Indian standards (about the same as NYC's) in addition to high reported levels of sexual harassment. The turnout wasn't very good; around 500-800 people by most estimates, the majority of whom, interestingly, were men (several men I saw quoted relayed tales of sisters or other female relatives whose own troubles inspired them to participate, but who were too embarrassed to attend themselves). Almost without exception young people, college-aged. Unsurprisingly, numerous participants commented to media that they felt the association of the event with the term 'slut,' even though the organizers had renamed it, was a strong deterrent for many who might otherwise have participated. As expected, the mood was low-key compared to Western SlutWalks, some music and dancing and a bit of street theater, but dress and signage were on the restrained side--I cringed to note from the photos and clips I saw that most if not all the handful of (overly-photographed) women who showed up scantily dressed were visiting Westerners...best to follow how the local women wish to play it if you want to directly support something like this.

The event did attract quite a bit of national media coverage in India, although disappointingly little commentary/op-ed from what I saw, indicating they were mostly presenting it as a curiosity.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 10-01-2011, 01:28 PM   #155
Blue Crack Addict

So I guess if a bunch of men wearing shorts were getting mugged the police would tell them that wearing shorts might not be a good idea? Logically speaking that should be the case.

NYPD Warns Women About Skirts in Brooklyn Sex Attack Probe | NBC New York

Women in a Brooklyn neighborhood on edge over a spate of sex attacks are being told by police that wearing skirts and dresses might not be a good idea.

The surprising message from the NYPD is not being taken well.

"I think that women should be able to wear whatever they want," said Theresa Troupson, a Park Slope resident. "I don't think that they should be held responsible in any way for the actions of criminals."

Lauren, who did not want her last name used, told the the Wall Street Journal that she was walking down the street in shorts and a t-shirt after leaving the gym on Monday when she was stopped by an officer who also stopped two other women in dresses.

Lauren said the officer asked them if they knew what was happening in the area, and asked them if they knew what the suspect looked for.

"He pointed at my outfit and said, 'Don't you think your shorts are a little short?'" she told the Journal. "He pointed at their dresses and said they were showing a lot of skin."

The officer also told them that "you're exactly the kind of girl this guy is targeting," according to Lauren.

NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said the officers "are simply pointing out that as part of the pattern involving one or more men that the assailant(s) have targeted women wearing skirts."

A group called Safe Slope says the NYPD effort is "completely inappropriate."

"There have been reports that the women attacked were all wearing skirts," said Jessica Silk, a Safe Slope founder. "Unfortunately this might be a common link between the women that were attacked but the message shouldn't be that you shouldn't wear a skirt. The message should be that, 'Here are ways that you can protect yourself.'"
Old 10-01-2011, 01:53 PM   #156
ONE
love, blood, life

I'm a little torn about that article. The 'shorts are a little short' comment was inappropriate, but I don't think warning women that a guys is specifically attacking women in skirts is a bad thing. Are they supposed to keep that to themselves? It seems like a bit of a knee jerk reaction to get all upset and offended over it. If a guy was shooting people in the face who wear blue tshirts, I wouldn't wear a blue tshirt until they guy was caught. It just happens that this guy is sexually targeting women.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:04 PM   #157
Refugee

There is no pointing in discussing this issue because it is so entrenched in male/female dynamics.

They should have a female police officer come out and say it because if a male officer said it it will get misinterpreted. You know how the feminists are.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:05 PM   #158
Blue Crack Addict

I'll get offended over it. The fact is that sexual targeting happens even if you're covered up head to toe. Not wearing a skirt, or a short skirt, is not going to stop it. And no police officer is going to tell me that my skirt is too short, sorry. Maybe if black people are being targeted they should tell them that they're a little too black. Or maybe a better analogy would be telling gay people that they're just being a little too gay by kissing in public, etc. if gay people are being targeted.

I'll wear what I want officer and protect myself the best I know how otherwise...you just take care of working to catch the rapist. Oh well, if women all over Park Slope just stop wearing skirts maybe he'll stop. Or just go somewhere else where women wear skirts/short skirts.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:09 PM   #159
Refugee

Are you assuming that the police officers are male? I am sure a large portion of the NYPD are female.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:12 PM   #160
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
I'll get offended over it. The fact is that sexual targeting happens even if you're covered up head to toe. Not wearing a skirt, or a short skirt, is not going to stop it. And no police officer is going to tell me that my skirt is too short, sorry. Maybe if black people are being targeted they should tell them that they're a little too black. Or maybe a better analogy would be telling gay people that they're just being a little too gay by kissing in public, etc. if gay people are being targeted.

I'll wear what I want officer and protect myself the best I know how otherwise...you just take care of working to catch the rapist. Oh well, if women all over Park Slope just stop wearing skirts maybe he'll stop. Or just go somewhere else where women wear skirts/short skirts.
This particular active sexual predator is attacking women in skirts. They aren't telling you that you can never wear a skirt. If there was someone attacking gay black males, you don't think they would say something so gay black males can be more vigilant?
Old 10-01-2011, 02:16 PM   #161
ONE
love, blood, life

Or lets put it this way. If the guy was attacking women who wore pink puffy winter coats, would you get all upset if they said that maybe you should put away the pink puffy winter coat until they caught him?
Old 10-01-2011, 02:22 PM   #162
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
This particular active sexual predator is attacking women in skirts. They aren't telling you that you can never wear a skirt. If there was someone attacking gay black males, you don't think they would say something so gay black males can be more vigilant?
And tomorrow he could be attacking women in jeans. So then you shouldn't wear jeans. Blue tops, red tops, blond, brunette. Change your wardrobe, change your haircolor. The energy would be much better spent teaching self defense classes and trying to catch the rapist, not commenting on skirts or skirt lengths. No amount of arguing is going to change my mind about that. The fact is that skirt length has that old "slut" implication. You're exactly the kind of girl doesn't exactly sound just like the type of girl who wears skirts. At the very least poor word choice there.

And obviously they could be female, not assuming anything. And some female officers would say something like that. But this article uses the word he. Has nothing to do with "feminists" and how they are. Yes, we know how they are.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:24 PM   #163
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
And tomorrow he could be attacking women in jeans. So then you shouldn't wear jeans. Blue tops, red tops, blond, brunette. Change your wardrobe, change your haircolor. The energy would be much better spent teaching self defense classes and trying to catch the rapist, not commenting on skirts or skirt lengths. No amount of arguing is going to change my mind about that. The fact is that skirt length has that old "slut" implication. You're exactly the kind of girl doesn't exactly sound just like the type of girl who wears skirts. At the very least poor word choice there.

And obviously they could be female, not assuming anything. And some female officers would say something like that. But this article uses the word he. Has nothing to do with "feminists" and how they are. Yes, we know how they are.
Read my post after that one. I think it was more toward what I was trying to say
Old 10-01-2011, 02:29 PM   #164
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
And tomorrow he could be attacking women in jeans. .
Well, no, I think in this case, they sound quite sure that he's specifically targeting girls in skirts. It would be totally different if they said "never wear skirts because you'll attract a rapist". I understand where you're coming from. But I think, if you don't mind me saying, that you're allowing your strong opinion on the latter (a very reasonable opinion) affect your objectivity on the former. And I say that with all due respect
Old 10-01-2011, 02:48 PM   #165
Blue Crack Addict

I'm not letting anything affect it other than my experience and common sense. The situations in my life in which I have felt in the most danger of being assaulted, well in all cases I have been as covered up as possible-other than a burqa. And not wearing a regular or long length skirt, and not thinking that not wearing certain clothing could protect me. It was during daylight and not in the city but in non crime ridden suburbs. If a police officer told me about skirts or puffy pink coats or blue shirts, all the same to me. None of those are going to mean jack ultimately in terms of whether or not I get attacked or not. Could get attacked wearing them, could get attacked not wearing them even if it is the guy's alleged mo.

I can't cloak myself in false safety, because I know how doing that, well you can let your guard down. And experience has told me that nowhere is really or comparatively safe. The city can actually feel safer sometimes, with all the people around. Would I walk there at 3 AM down a dark and secluded alley, no. But I have also walked down a suburban street in broad daylight and had problems, and who knows what could have ended up happening.

You do the best you can or you hide in the house. I can't control criminals any more than I can control the family I was born into or the US economy or the price of gas. So I wear what I want and still proceed with caution.

He could decide tomorrow for any random reason to attack a women in jeans after all this time attacking women in skirts. That's the point.