Slavery to be Eradicated in 30 Years?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pearl

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
There are, shockingly, more people in slavery today than at any time in human history - but campaigners think the world is close to a tipping point and that slavery may be eradicated in the next 30 years.

The estimated number of people in slavery - 27 million - is more than double the total number believed to have been taken from Africa during the transatlantic slave trade.

Ship records make it possible to estimate the number of slaves transported from Africa to the Americas and the Caribbean, from the 16th Century until the trade was banned in 1807 - and the figure is about 12.5 million people.

The figure of 27 million slaves today comes from researcher Kevin Bales, of Free the Slaves - who blames the huge figure on rapid population growth, poverty and government corruption.

Many people still think of slavery as a thing of the past, but it exists in many forms, on every continent - ranging from sex and labour trafficking, to debt bondage where people are forced to work off small loans.

But the International Labour Organization (ILO) - whose figure of 20.9 million people worldwide in forced labour does not include bonded labour - believes slavery can be completely eradicated.

The momentum has been growing for the last 10 years, says the ILO's Beate Andreas, pointing to a "growing movement and growing leadership on the part of key countries to take action".

She compares this struggle to the battle against HIV, where it took a number of years to generate the momentum and the commitment needed to overcome the epidemic.

Slavery is already illegal in every country in the world.

"We have not quite reached the tipping point, but it's much more difficult for countries and companies to get away with forced labour nowadays," Andreas says.

"There is reason to be optimistic. We have seen a sweeping change in recent years in terms of legislation and better regulation.

"There's a clear sign that more companies are becoming aware, and more governments are willing to take action. If we have the critical mass of leaders ready to take action, then it can be eradicated."

Bales says there was a time when law enforcement agencies knew how to deal with a truck full of drugs, but lacked clear procedures for dealing with a truck full of people. This is changing, he says.

BBC News - A tipping point in the fight against slavery?

I find it hard to believe that more people today are slaves than the number of Africans shipped across the Atlantic hundreds of years ago. It may be true, because there's more people in the world than ever. But the numbers are shockingly astounding.

I have doubts that slavery would ever be fully eradicated. It may be cracked down a lot more, but there will always be a pimp somewhere kidnapping young girls to work the streets, a business owner looking for slave labor for his selfish needs. And like this article points out, poverty is the biggest issue and it is not easy to eradicate that. I'd like to see poverty be a distant memory, but I'm not that optimistic.

Here's a link that explains why poverty can lead to slavery: BBC - Ethics - Slavery: Why slavery persists

In my classes when we are reading a story about slavery, I ask
students to raise their hands if they have ancestors who were
slaves.

All the black students raise their hands and then I raise mine.

Then a student will ask. "But you are white."

It's not surprising since most American students are only
taught a limited view of slavery in the world.

The truth is slavery has existed in almost all cultures and all races.

All of us have ancestors who were slaves.

And it is still going on.

Something very few goverments in the world seem to care about.

the iron horse said:
slaves.

Yes, we've all heard you mention your petty little story before. I'm sure your ancestors' slavery is really hard on you to this day

slaves.

I thought you were going to say that like most Americans--both black and white--who's family history goes back for generations in this country you likely have a black ancestors. . .

slaves.

They let you teach?

the iron horse said:
slaves.

This is an insensitive attitude to the history of slavery in this country.

Yes, there were a lot of white indentured servants in the colonial era who did not receive any wages for their work. But that doesn't put them on the same scale as the black slaves.

Someday soon, a bunch of politicians will stand up and gladhand each other to congratulate the world on eradicating slavery.

.... and the sex slaves, victims of human trafficking, will continue to go unnoticed by most of society.

corianderstem said:
Someday soon, a bunch of politicians will stand up and gladhand each other to congratulate the world on eradicating slavery.

.... and the sex slaves, victims of human trafficking, will continue to go unnoticed by most of society.

So true.

Those sex slaves will never fully heal from the hell they endured. I wouldn't be surprised if they suffer far worse PTSD than war veterans.

slaves.

It's no wonder your students are confused, you're lying to them and not really understanding the difference between having an ancestor who can be traced and knowing why your race is a part of this country.

This is very true, slavery has a long history well before the U.S., but that's about where your understanding ends.
This is completely false. There are plenty of people on this planet that have absolutely no traceable ancestors that were slaves.

Can you tell us how many generations back your ancestors were enslaved?

What is the Libertarian Party's solution to this?

This is completely false. There are plenty of people on this planet that have absolutely no traceable ancestors that were slaves.

I wouldn't go that far. Since slavery has been part of human history for many centuries, and the further we all go back in our genealogy, the more ancestors we have, everyone is a descendant of a slave.

But even so, if someone's ancestor was a Roman slave or one in ancient Ireland, that does not mean they should equate themselves with African-Americans. Their plight was more recent and right here in the U.S., so that makes it insulting.

I know you said "traceable ancestors", but iron horse said "all of us". So I was just trying to make sense of what you both said.

I wouldn't go that far. Since slavery has been part of human history for many centuries, and the further we all go back in our genealogy, the more ancestors we have, everyone is a descendant of a slave.

Well then I guess it depends on how we're using the term "ancestor". Most people will use "ancestor" or "ancestry" to define the beginnings of your family name, therefore only going back a certain number of generations. But if one were going to define "ancestor" from the beginning of time then we can all argure that we're all related, we all have ancestors that were kings, queens, slaves, and we all have ancestors that inveneted fire.

Oh, I get what you're saying. I was just responding to what you said to Iron Horse.

It also looks like you added the part where you asked him how many generations should one go back to find an enslaved ancestor right after I posted my comment. That, or I just didn't see it.

I suppose if Mitochondrial Eve was a slave, this would be true. Otherwise, no. Lineage doesn't work that way.
Perhaps you could say we all probably share a common ancestor with a slave, but that's completely different

But if one were going to define "ancestor" from the beginning of time then we can all argure that we're all related, we all have ancestors that were kings, queens, slaves, and we all have ancestors that inveneted fire.

I know you're just being facetious, but even this isn't true. A simple way to disprove the invention of fire ancestry is that there were hundreds of thousands of whatever species of primitive man on Earth at the time one of them invented fire (Probably didn't happen that way, but anyway); he or she wasn't the only one to procreate after that... The majority of us aren't related to that person, if any. Same thing goes for Kings and Queens; the percentage of the procreating population in those times who weren't Kings or Queens is far greater than the percentage that were. A common descendent with a King or Queen? If you go back far enough, of course, but likely so many generations removed that it becomes irrelevant. Not to mention that those families tended to... keep to themselves... when it came to creating descendents

Thanks for completely missing my point and not understanding what 'ancestor' means. I was saying your point is illogical. By your logic, Chimps are ancestors to Humans

:doh:Jive, I'm not going round and round with you on this. Please go back a few posts, I'm not defining ancestor this way... I was being illogical on purpose to make a point, apparently you missed that.

Smack your head all you want, BVS, but your examples you used didn't make any sense. You might as well have said "Well, then you could argue we're all related because dishwasher chocolate lab toilet paper roll". Even throwing out the fact that ancestry doesn't only mean the beginnings of the family name or only going back a few generations, my point was that your example of going back to the "beginning of time" (lets say "the beginning of the species" instead, which is perfectly reasonable and would still constitute an ancestor) STILL doesn't make us all ancestors of kings. In short, you pointed out that Pearl's use of 'ancestry' was incorrect by showing that you don't know how it works either.
Its also funny how you're suddenly not going to go 'round and round' with this when thats been your MO since you got here. Stop projecting.

Tends to happen when you try to converse with people who refuse to acknowledge they're wrong and contradict themselves from one post to the next. Just sayin'. And even then, I'd say that accusation is pretty much baseless

Id agree we were trying to make the same point. I was merely pointing out that BVS' example wasn't quite making the point he wanted it to. I thought I pointed it out very matter of factly and politely, then he replied a little passive aggressively

Either way, I'm sure we can all agree that white people claiming to be descendants of slaves in not on par with black people being descendants of slaves because it wasn't as recent, and it shows insensitivity.

Pearl said:
Either way, I'm sure we can all agree that white people claiming to be descendants of slaves in not on par with black people being descendants of slaves because it wasn't as recent, and it shows insensitivity.

:up:

"Slavery is widely misunderstood, and as such has been a tool for hustlers and demagogues. Slavery has been part of the human condition throughout recorded history and everywhere on the globe."

Walter Williams: Are there any benefits from slavery?
By WALTER E. WILLIAMS
2012-10-23 12:00:49

Jon Hubbard, a Republican member of the Arkansas House of Representatives, has a book, titled "Letters to the Editor: Confessions of a Frustrated Conservative." Among its statements for which Hubbard has been criticized and disavowed by the Republican Party is, "The institution of slavery that the black race has long believed to be an abomination upon its people may actually have been a blessing in disguise. The blacks who could endure those conditions and circumstances would someday be rewarded with citizenship in the greatest nation ever established upon the face of the Earth."

Hubbard's observation reminded me of my 1972 job interview at the University of Massachusetts. During a reception, one of the Marxist professors asked me what I thought about the relationship between capitalism and slavery. My response was that slavery has existed everywhere in the world, under every political and economic system, and was by no means unique to capitalism or the United States. Perturbed by my response, he asked me what my feelings were about the enslavement of my ancestors. I answered that slavery is a despicable violation of human rights but that the enslavement of my ancestors is history, and one of the immutable facts of history is that nothing can be done to change it.

The matter could have been left there, but I volunteered that today's American blacks have benefited enormously from the horrible suffering of our ancestors. Why? I said the standard of living and personal liberty of black Americans are better than what blacks living anywhere in Africa have. I then asked the professor what it was that explained how tens of millions of blacks came to be born in the U.S. instead of Africa. He wouldn't answer, but an answer other than slavery would have been sheer idiocy. I attempted to assuage the professor's and his colleagues' shock by explaining to them that to morally condemn a practice such as slavery does not require one to also deny its effects.

My yet-to-be-learned lesson – and perhaps that of Rep. Hubbard – is that there are certain topics or arguments that one should not bring up in the presence of children or those with little understanding. Both might see that explaining a phenomenon is the same as giving it moral sanction or justification. It's as if one's explanation that the independent influence of gravity on a falling object is to cause it to accelerate at 32 feet per second could be interpreted as giving moral sanction and justification to gravity.

Slavery is widely misunderstood, and as such has been a tool for hustlers and demagogues. Slavery has been part of the human condition throughout recorded history and everywhere on the globe. Romans enslaved other Europeans; Greeks enslaved other Greeks; Asians enslaved Asians; Africans enslaved Africans; and in the New World, Aztecs enslaved Aztecs and other native groups. Even the word slave is derived from the fact that Slavic people were among the early European slaves.

Though racism has been used to justify slavery, the origins of slavery had little to do with racism. In recent history, the major slave traders and slave owners have been Arabs, who enslaved Europeans, black Africans and Asians. A unique aspect of slavery in the Western world was the moral outrage against it, which began to emerge in the 18th century and led to massive efforts to eliminate it. It was Britain's military might and the sight of the Union Jack on the high seas that ultimately put an end to the slave trade.

Unfortunately, the facts about slavery are not the lessons taught in our schools and colleges. The gross misrepresentation and suggestion in textbooks and lectures is that slavery was a uniquely American practice done by racist white people to black people. Despite abundant historical evidence, youngsters are taught nothing about how the founding fathers quarreled, debated and agonized over the slave issue.

"The institution of slavery that the black race has long believed to be an abomination upon its people may actually have been a blessing in disguise. The blacks who could endure those conditions and circumstances would someday be rewarded with citizenship in the greatest nation ever established upon the face of the Earth."

Wasn't this sincerely expressed here in FYM before? This line of thinking isn't as uncommon as many would think(hope).

Back
Top Bottom