Sir Noel bashes U2 on Politics and C. Martin over Drugs (Noel being a dick)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MadForIt

Refugee
Oasis Star Noel Gallagher Spent A Million Pounds On Drugs, He Tells Corriere Della Sera Newspaper | Showbiz News | Sky News

The 42-year-old also labelled Chris Martin from Coldplay an ''idiot'' after he claimed not to have taken drugs and slammed the rival band and U2 for using concerts as stages for "'rock politics".
At the peak of the Britpop era, Noel and brother Liam's hedonistic excesses were well known and their partying was legendary.
Gallagher once revealed he had taken cocaine at a Downing Street reception in a toilet reserved for the Queen.
In his interview with Corriere Della Sera, he said: "I look at Chris Martin who says he has never taken drugs in his life and I think he is an idiot.
"Doing drugs is the most beautiful thing about being in a rock band.
"Up until 1998 I must have spent £1m on drugs then I stopped because it is bad for your health, brain, life and for people around you.
"But while you use them - except for heroin which kills people and which I have never tried - as you lot (Italians) would say 'Mamma Mia'."

15114481.jpg
Martin branded an 'idiot'

Turning to bands who used concerts to get across a political message, Gallagher stormed: "We get on the stage and play.
"I have been to loads of concerts where bands don't play they just talk about politics.
"At a U2 or Coldplay concert there is always a message about poor people or people dying from hunger.
"OK, but can't we just have a nice evening? Do we always have to feel guilty?"
Gallagher - who with the rest of Oasis met Tony Blair several times at the height of their fame - also spoke of his own political views and said: "I grew up with Labour in opposition.
"I heard their policies on education and minimum wages and I thought they were right.
"Then they got into government and wow, I got to know them.
"Then as time passed they became like all the others - it was like when you find out Father Christmas doesn't exist.
"I don't vote any more - anyway it doesn't matter as nothing will change."
Oasis are due to play three concerts at Wembley Stadium this week and will end their current tour in Milan on August 30.

His politics comments :up:

Drugs comments BIG :down: - being a total dick there. DRUGS are BAD

Is anything at all, remotely construed as negative, considered a "bash" these days?

Seems Noel's comment about U2 is shared by a lot of people.
Perhaps even people who've joined the One Campaign.
Maybe some people would just like to hear Streets without obscuring/ruining the intro.
It's arguably the pivotal moment of any U2 concert.
Or maybe just go straight into One, let the song deliver it's own message?

I support the same cause that Bono's preaches but I think it's an evident issue.
Either people get it or they don't. If they don't get it, then maybe it's time to move on a little bit. Be a rock band with it's 'cause' in the subtext, where it could be said to be arguably more effective. ZooTV? POPmart? Maybe even Elevation, it's hard to remember.

Good point, U2DMfan. I get annoyed when people write "don't attack Bono's speeches- you've got to expect that ." Nonsense. Bono was not always like that- he might have preached on Rattle and Hum but there less of it on ZOO TV and virtually none on PopMart or Elevation. He didn't have to preach to make points on those tours because music and irony were far more potent vehicles. His behaviour from the start of the Vertigo tour has spoiled things. Streets works best without chat and One works best when it sticks to the ambiguity of the studio version.

"I heard their policies on education and minimum wages and I thought they were right.
"Then they got into government and wow, I got to know them.
"Then as time passed they became like all the others - it was like when you find out Father Christmas doesn't exist.
"I don't vote any more - anyway it doesn't matter as nothing will change."

He's got a good point here.

I think the one million was a slight exaggeration....

At any rate, Noel isn't pretending to be a role model for the yoof. He's a rock star, rock stars aren't supposed to be role models. They're rock stars!!!!!

It's true, nothing changed and nothing will change - British Labour under Bliar just showed themselves to be conservative hacks who didn't have the guts to enact properly leftist policy. Same with the ALP down under I fear.

It's true, nothing changed and nothing will change - British Labour under Bliar just showed themselves to be conservative hacks who didn't have the guts to enact properly leftist policy. Same with the ALP down under I fear.

I doubt that Turnbull and co. would do a better job, but anyways ...

Anyone that would actually think taking drugs is acceptable like Liam and Noel Gallagher as well as other clueless people with an IQ of under 100 is just plain disgraceful. Hard to believe that some people actually treat them as royalty :angry: *cough*. :wink:

Noel pops up every time oasis have an album coming out or a gig coming up. Honestly, you fulfill the purpose by even bothering to read it.

"Oasis are due to play three concerts at Wembley Stadium this week and will end their current tour in Milan on August 30."

Gotta give it to those Gallagher bros, masters of self promotion.

I don't want to respond to that drivel because I don't want to get into a fight.

I will answer that with a few points

Kyoto
Work choices
IWC
medicare levy

That is the kind of statement someone puts forward when they have a below arbitrary understanding of political process. I am beyond left. I am off the leftist scale, but I understand that the constituency is split 43% left, 43% right, and 14& swinging voters. Would you rather a moderate approach to leftist social change, bringing about a leftist agenda in a step by step process, or would rather lose an election straight away and have the Liberal party back where everyone can work 12 hour shifts with no breaks, penalty rates or sick leave for American standard wages?

Bono was not always like that- he might have preached on Rattle and Hum but there less of it on ZOO TV and virtually none on PopMart or Elevation.

You don't include the "call your senator" speech on Elevation tour before they played One as preachingBono ? Or the anti-NRA video for that matter ?

I find Noel quite funny a lot of the time and I am a big Oasis fan. But here's the thing - I'm well aware that drugs and rock n roll are firmly embedded together, but I have infinitely more respect for people like U2, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Paul McCartney and countless others who have all (probably less so U2) dabbled with narcotics but who remain quiet about it and don't feel the need to go on and on about it all the time. Noel seems to think that bragging about his drug use as if its some new/amazing thing makes him some kind of Keith Richards-esque hero.

My own attitudes to drugs are very liberal - do em if you want, thats fine. Christ, I've even dabbled a little bit as I'm sure a number of people on this site have, but please don't go on about it like it makes you a superior person to anyone else. Him lambasting Chris Martin (who I'm not particularly all that fond of) for not having spent £1m on drugs just shows how pathetic and self-conscious Noel can be sometimes. Him claiming to have done coke in the Queen's toilet shows that he even rips off The Beatles' drug usage since they were rumoured to have smoked a joint when collecting their MBEs.

And on the politics side of things - let U2 do what they want. The irony is that Noel's hero John Lennon was exactly the same and if he were alive today, would probably be carrying on using music as a stage for politics.

STFU Noel.

Seriously. I don't even like Coldplay or Chris Martin and I'm kind of indifferent to what Bono does these days outside of U2, but neither of them deserve to be criticized for not using drugs or being politically active. I think Noel is just trying to justify his own drug use and the fact that he can't get off his ass and do the minimum to try to change things by voting.

Back
Top Bottom