Sir Bono: the Knight Who Fled From His Own Debate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

financeguy

ONE love, blood, life
As CounterPunch and Rock and Rap Confidential disclosed in September, last May U2’s Bono confronted Irish journalist Gavin Martin and myself in the lobby of Dublin’s Merrion Hotel. He asked what I’d been working on. I said “the premise that celebrity politics has been a pretty much complete failure.” Bono replied that he wanted to debate the topic in public. He reiterated the challenge the next evening. The witnesses included U2’s manager Paul McGuinness and my wife, Barbara Carr, among others.

I made sure that Sirius Satellite Radio, which was to broadcast the debate, knew about Bono’s invitation. By mid-June, U2’s New York office confirmed the plan, asking only that it be delayed until U2 finished recording its next album. I kept it public via RRC and my Sirius show, Kick Out the Jams.

In November, U2 manager Paul McGuinness rang me. After some brief personal palaver—I like Paul even though I know he’s alluded to me as a “Trotskyist” behind my back—McGuinness sheepishly said “Bono has asked me to ask you if he can withdraw” from the debate.

So listen, Bono, if you decide to suck it up and face me, I’m still available. I can’t win a debate, we both know that, and why you’d want to continue to look feeble and cowardly when you have virtually nothing to lose… well, that’s another question I suppose you’ll never be asked.

It doesn’t mean that those questions are going to go away. Maybe for the tamed tigers of the American pop press, but not for me, or for those people in the streets of Dublin calling you a tax cheat, or for the Africans who feel insulted by your ignorance of their lives, or for that matter, the fans who wonder why you insist on siding continually, if slyly, with the powerful against the powerless.

CounterPunch: Tells the Facts, Names the Names

The bit implying Bono might be a racist because he interrupted Andrew Mwenda's speech seems unwarranted (it is probably closer to the truth to say Bono just has no real willingness to listen to alternative points of view on Africa, regardless of race or colour of skin of the person expressing them) - but otherwise, I pretty much agree with this hard-hitting article.

How does one define "celebrity politics" ?

how about "yeah, i know i'm being used, but i'm using him too"... when bono speaks of meeting former president george bush?

i think that's a good start.

really interesting article.

I read this article too, and as a matter of fact was going to email Marsh about it. I think the whole article sounded like a guy who hyped up the fact that he would have this debate with Bono on air and now looks like someone with pie on his face. He sounds like a brat who didn't get his way. Like a lover scorned coming out for revenge. :down:

Kinda sounds like one of those kids on Call of Duty 4. "Why dont you come play me one on one and I'll show you how shitty you really are!" meanwhile I dont play that often, dont have a microphone that I can talk back into and dont really give a shit.

I read this article too, and as a matter of fact was going to email Marsh about it. I think the whole article sounded like a guy who hyped up the fact that he would have this debate with Bono on air and now looks like someone with pie on his face. He sounds like a brat who didn't get his way. Like a lover scorned coming out for revenge. :down:

While I think there may have been a degree of that, is there nothing in that article that you perhaps thought about or agreed with? Granted, we can't exactly know for sure what's on Bono's mind and I'd like to think he has better intentions than were suggested in the article, but it's difficult, at least you know, as a U2 fan, to read that and not feel some dismay.

I said “Sure.” McGuinness expressed gratitude that I was taking it so well.

:lol:

After reading the article again, I can say that Marsh is just a cry baby, why doesn't Bono come and play with me? It's like the kid in the playground that says bad things about you because you won't let him play kickball with you.

The part about asking Africans if Bono can speak for them is absurd. Ask the people that Bono's causes helped if they want him to continue.

Anyway, the one thing I do disagree on Bono being part owner of Pandemic/Bioware, producers of Mercenaries 2. I don't like video games that resort to killing etc. Even when I first heard of this I didn't agree with it.

But to bring up things that happened with Billy Graham etc. in 1966 when Bono himself was only 6 years old is ridiculous.

IMO Marsh was just trying to save his face.

Well, Bono asked if he could have the debate. It would have been better if he first thought whether he had time for that debate and then asking for it, instead of how things went here.
But to make a fuss over that is a little much either, I think.

It would have definitely been an interesting and fun debate but terrible timing with the album/promo/tour so can't really say I blame Bono for backing out. I don't think the rest of the band would appreciate this level of overlap in publicity at a time when Bono should be focusing his public energy on being a member of U2.

That said, I'd still like to see Bono address some criticisms of celebrity politics at some point.

It would have definitely been an interesting and fun debate but terrible timing with the album/promo/tour so can't really say I blame Bono for backing out. I don't think the rest of the band would appreciate this level of overlap in publicity at a time when Bono should be focusing his public energy on being a member of U2.

That said, I'd still like to see Bono address some criticisms of celebrity politics at some point.

I agree. I'm sure this is not the first time Bono's backed out of something, lol! And for all everyone complains about him needing to put the band first, I guess it makes sense.

There do seem to be a lot of personal attacks in the article, things about Bono's age and lyrics. He also seems to make the assumption that protest is more effective than diplomacy and I'm pretty sure that Bono himself has said he has found diplomacy works better for changing things. It's interesting when people differ on ideologies but attack the other person as if they weren't trying to help.
Also, when I watched the Mwenda speech, I heard Mwenda ask if anyone in the audience knew someone whose situation had been improved by aid and then Bono responded. It didn't sound rude to me (of course I didn't hear the whole exchange).
Mainly this article proves to me that no matter what we do we will get slammed for our choices when we are celebrities. Which doesn't mean I agree with everything Bono does, I just think he's human like the rest of us.

Here is my email to Dave Marsh:

Mr. Marsh;

I am writing you in regard to your recent article, Big Scar on
the Horizon Sir Bono: the Knight Who Fled From His Own Debate.

First of all, let me correct you in your article title. Bono is not and
cannot be called Sir even though he was knighted. Because he is an Irish
citizen, he cannot have the title of “sir” before his name. That honor is
reserved for citizens of the United Kingdom or British Commonwealth
countries. Ireland left the Commonwealth when it became a republic in
1949. Therefore, there is no Sir Bono.

Second, after reading your article, it seemed you are more like a person
who is behaving like a child who didn't get their way. Just because you
thought you had the big gig, the big story, an all out exclusive to have
a debate with Bono, gave you the right to sandblast him across your
column when he reneged. When I first read about your meeting with him
and your offer to have a debate, it was interpreted that you genuinely
liked him. Now since your so called debate has been canceled, your
article sounds more like a lover scorned.

And Third, I don't know Bono personally, but have met him a number of
times. I think he is genuine. Instead of downsizing the philanthropy he
has created, why not join in? You put a negative spin on his antidotes
for the worlds hungry. May I ask, what have you done lately?
Me? You can ask because I have done plenty, thanks to Bono. Just because one
person says they were the only African, “at a party to raise
money for Africans, and there were no Africans in the room, except for
that one person,” or so many other Africans have complained that he speaks for them
but has never so much as asked their permission doesn't mean that it is the whole continent
that feels thay way. Maybe someone should take the long journey to Africa and ask the
people how much better things are through Bonos outreach and ideas. People now have
clean water wells, mosquito nets, aids/malaria medications and put over 25,000 or more
children in school. Ask the people who have benefited if they mind if Bono speaks on
their behalf. Their lives are better now because of him.

Lastly, Bono did you a favor by reneging on the debate. He is way too informed
on the subject matter and way to smart to fall for any journalists wise cracked questions.
He would have made you look more foolish on the airwaves than your article already suggests.
Regards, J. Coster

This is Marshes very intelligent and intellectual response:

remain blissful in your ignorance.
and stay out of my mailbox with your stupidity

while i think Bono does put himself up for mockery and doesn't always make things easy for himself,

this is a pretty dick response from said "journalist."

good for you for speaking your mind. :up:

A dick response from the author for sure, but he's probably sitting there just waiting with barely controlled glee, waiting for a mob of angry U2 fans to swarm his inbox with angry emails so he can fire off more dick responses.

It's always good to speak your mind, but after seeing his response to JCOSTER, why bother sending off an angry email? No matter how well-written it is, or how rationally your argument is presented, he's probably just going to be a douchebag in response.

I said good day, sir!

I responded to his email with stupid is as stupid does. Here is what he wrote back:

try reading all the words--i don't not want people to write. but i don't have to put up with stupidity, either. if you want your ass kissed, U2 has a fan club.

Now, I'm so done with him!

Bono seems to have a good vibe on people, he's lucky he got out of it. :up:

I responded to his email with stupid is as stupid does. Here is what he wrote back:

try reading all the words--i don't not want people to write. but i don't have to put up with stupidity, either. if you want your ass kissed, U2 has a fan club.

Now, I'm so done with him!

He's a f'king idiot.
I too am glad Bono got out of it. :up:
Let him rant and rave about his "almost" moment of glory. :lol:

Here is my email to Dave Marsh:

Mr. Marsh;

I am writing you in regard to your recent article, Big Scar on
the Horizon Sir Bono: the Knight Who Fled From His Own Debate.

First of all, let me correct you in your article title. Bono is not and
cannot be called Sir even though he was knighted. Because he is an Irish
citizen, he cannot have the title of “sir” before his name. That honor is
reserved for citizens of the United Kingdom or British Commonwealth
countries. Ireland left the Commonwealth when it became a republic in
1949. Therefore, there is no Sir Bono.

Second, after reading your article, it seemed you are more like a person
who is behaving like a child who didn't get their way. Just because you
thought you had the big gig, the big story, an all out exclusive to have
a debate with Bono, gave you the right to sandblast him across your
column when he reneged. When I first read about your meeting with him
and your offer to have a debate, it was interpreted that you genuinely
liked him. Now since your so called debate has been canceled, your
article sounds more like a lover scorned.

And Third, I don't know Bono personally, but have met him a number of
times. I think he is genuine. Instead of downsizing the philanthropy he
has created, why not join in? You put a negative spin on his antidotes
for the worlds hungry. May I ask, what have you done lately?
Me? You can ask because I have done plenty, thanks to Bono. Just because one
person says they were the only African, “at a party to raise
money for Africans, and there were no Africans in the room, except for
that one person,” or so many other Africans have complained that he speaks for them
but has never so much as asked their permission doesn't mean that it is the whole continent
that feels thay way. Maybe someone should take the long journey to Africa and ask the
people how much better things are through Bonos outreach and ideas. People now have
clean water wells, mosquito nets, aids/malaria medications and put over 25,000 or more
children in school. Ask the people who have benefited if they mind if Bono speaks on
their behalf. Their lives are better now because of him.

Lastly, Bono did you a favor by reneging on the debate. He is way too informed
on the subject matter and way to smart to fall for any journalists wise cracked questions.
He would have made you look more foolish on the airwaves than your article already suggests.
Regards, J. Coster

This is Marshes very intelligent and intellectual response:

if you're going to complain about "facts" then you should at least know that it's called the commonwealth. it hasn't been called the british commonwealth in many decades.

Back
Top Bottom