Sir Bono: the Knight Who Fled From His Own Debate - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-20-2009, 12:13 PM   #16
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Petaluma, CA
Posts: 359
Local Time: 07:04 AM
There do seem to be a lot of personal attacks in the article, things about Bono's age and lyrics. He also seems to make the assumption that protest is more effective than diplomacy and I'm pretty sure that Bono himself has said he has found diplomacy works better for changing things. It's interesting when people differ on ideologies but attack the other person as if they weren't trying to help.
Also, when I watched the Mwenda speech, I heard Mwenda ask if anyone in the audience knew someone whose situation had been improved by aid and then Bono responded. It didn't sound rude to me (of course I didn't hear the whole exchange).
Mainly this article proves to me that no matter what we do we will get slammed for our choices when we are celebrities. Which doesn't mean I agree with everything Bono does, I just think he's human like the rest of us.
__________________

__________________
MissMoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:19 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life
 
JCOSTER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: It's a very, very mad world.
Posts: 14,971
Local Time: 01:04 AM
Here is my email to Dave Marsh:

Mr. Marsh;

I am writing you in regard to your recent article, Big Scar on
the Horizon Sir Bono: the Knight Who Fled From His Own Debate.

First of all, let me correct you in your article title. Bono is not and
cannot be called Sir even though he was knighted. Because he is an Irish
citizen, he cannot have the title of “sir” before his name. That honor is
reserved for citizens of the United Kingdom or British Commonwealth
countries. Ireland left the Commonwealth when it became a republic in
1949. Therefore, there is no Sir Bono.

Second, after reading your article, it seemed you are more like a person
who is behaving like a child who didn't get their way. Just because you
thought you had the big gig, the big story, an all out exclusive to have
a debate with Bono, gave you the right to sandblast him across your
column when he reneged. When I first read about your meeting with him
and your offer to have a debate, it was interpreted that you genuinely
liked him. Now since your so called debate has been canceled, your
article sounds more like a lover scorned.

And Third, I don't know Bono personally, but have met him a number of
times. I think he is genuine. Instead of downsizing the philanthropy he
has created, why not join in? You put a negative spin on his antidotes
for the worlds hungry. May I ask, what have you done lately?
Me? You can ask because I have done plenty, thanks to Bono. Just because one
person says they were the only African, “at a party to raise
money for Africans, and there were no Africans in the room, except for
that one person,” or so many other Africans have complained that he speaks for them
but has never so much as asked their permission doesn't mean that it is the whole continent
that feels thay way. Maybe someone should take the long journey to Africa and ask the
people how much better things are through Bonos outreach and ideas. People now have
clean water wells, mosquito nets, aids/malaria medications and put over 25,000 or more
children in school. Ask the people who have benefited if they mind if Bono speaks on
their behalf. Their lives are better now because of him.

Lastly, Bono did you a favor by reneging on the debate. He is way too informed
on the subject matter and way to smart to fall for any journalists wise cracked questions.
He would have made you look more foolish on the airwaves than your article already suggests.
Regards, J. Coster

This is Marshes very intelligent and intellectual response:

remain blissful in your ignorance.
and stay out of my mailbox with your stupidity
.
__________________

__________________
JCOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:51 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 01:04 AM
What a charming, intelligent guy
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:42 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life
 
JCOSTER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: It's a very, very mad world.
Posts: 14,971
Local Time: 01:04 AM
Bono seems to have a good vibe on people, he's lucky he got out of it.
__________________
JCOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:15 PM   #20
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 52,117
Local Time: 02:04 AM
Way to go JC. I'm working on mine
__________________
lauramullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:51 PM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,471
Local Time: 01:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCOSTER View Post
remain blissful in your ignorance.
and stay out of my mailbox with your stupidity
.



while i think Bono does put himself up for mockery and doesn't always make things easy for himself,

this is a pretty dick response from said "journalist."

good for you for speaking your mind.
__________________
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:54 PM   #22
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,700
Local Time: 10:04 PM
A dick response from the author for sure, but he's probably sitting there just waiting with barely controlled glee, waiting for a mob of angry U2 fans to swarm his inbox with angry emails so he can fire off more dick responses.

It's always good to speak your mind, but after seeing his response to JCOSTER, why bother sending off an angry email? No matter how well-written it is, or how rationally your argument is presented, he's probably just going to be a douchebag in response.

I said good day, sir!
__________________
corianderstem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:34 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life
 
JCOSTER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: It's a very, very mad world.
Posts: 14,971
Local Time: 01:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
while i think Bono does put himself up for mockery and doesn't always make things easy for himself,

this is a pretty dick response from said "journalist."

good for you for speaking your mind.

Thanks, I'm glad I did, his repsonse showed a little of his character I think.
__________________
JCOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:59 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life
 
JCOSTER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: It's a very, very mad world.
Posts: 14,971
Local Time: 01:04 AM
I responded to his email with stupid is as stupid does. Here is what he wrote back:

try reading all the words--i don't not want people to write. but i don't have to put up with stupidity, either. if you want your ass kissed, U2 has a fan club.

Now, I'm so done with him!
__________________
JCOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:45 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
sue4u2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
Posts: 6,628
Local Time: 01:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCOSTER View Post
Bono seems to have a good vibe on people, he's lucky he got out of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCOSTER View Post
I responded to his email with stupid is as stupid does. Here is what he wrote back:

try reading all the words--i don't not want people to write. but i don't have to put up with stupidity, either. if you want your ass kissed, U2 has a fan club.

Now, I'm so done with him!

He's a f'king idiot.
I too am glad Bono got out of it.
Let him rant and rave about his "almost" moment of glory.
__________________
sue4u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:08 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Zoomerang96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: canada
Posts: 13,459
Local Time: 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCOSTER View Post
Here is my email to Dave Marsh:

Mr. Marsh;

I am writing you in regard to your recent article, Big Scar on
the Horizon Sir Bono: the Knight Who Fled From His Own Debate.

First of all, let me correct you in your article title. Bono is not and
cannot be called Sir even though he was knighted. Because he is an Irish
citizen, he cannot have the title of “sir” before his name. That honor is
reserved for citizens of the United Kingdom or British Commonwealth
countries. Ireland left the Commonwealth when it became a republic in
1949. Therefore, there is no Sir Bono.

Second, after reading your article, it seemed you are more like a person
who is behaving like a child who didn't get their way. Just because you
thought you had the big gig, the big story, an all out exclusive to have
a debate with Bono, gave you the right to sandblast him across your
column when he reneged. When I first read about your meeting with him
and your offer to have a debate, it was interpreted that you genuinely
liked him. Now since your so called debate has been canceled, your
article sounds more like a lover scorned.

And Third, I don't know Bono personally, but have met him a number of
times. I think he is genuine. Instead of downsizing the philanthropy he
has created, why not join in? You put a negative spin on his antidotes
for the worlds hungry. May I ask, what have you done lately?
Me? You can ask because I have done plenty, thanks to Bono. Just because one
person says they were the only African, “at a party to raise
money for Africans, and there were no Africans in the room, except for
that one person,” or so many other Africans have complained that he speaks for them
but has never so much as asked their permission doesn't mean that it is the whole continent
that feels thay way. Maybe someone should take the long journey to Africa and ask the
people how much better things are through Bonos outreach and ideas. People now have
clean water wells, mosquito nets, aids/malaria medications and put over 25,000 or more
children in school. Ask the people who have benefited if they mind if Bono speaks on
their behalf. Their lives are better now because of him.

Lastly, Bono did you a favor by reneging on the debate. He is way too informed
on the subject matter and way to smart to fall for any journalists wise cracked questions.
He would have made you look more foolish on the airwaves than your article already suggests.
Regards, J. Coster

This is Marshes very intelligent and intellectual response:

remain blissful in your ignorance.
and stay out of my mailbox with your stupidity
.
if you're going to complain about "facts" then you should at least know that it's called the commonwealth. it hasn't been called the british commonwealth in many decades.
__________________
Zoomerang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:15 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life
 
JCOSTER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: It's a very, very mad world.
Posts: 14,971
Local Time: 01:04 AM
I wasn't wrong but I guess where I looked it up was wrong.
__________________
JCOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:17 PM   #28
War Child
 
Earl-Of-IMDb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: in a very peaceful place
Posts: 805
Local Time: 12:04 AM
I thought your letter to him is very well-written it sure put him in his place, that guy is a big idiot whos not worth our time
__________________
Earl-Of-IMDb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:31 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
nirniva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Da U.P., eh?
Posts: 4,459
Local Time: 02:04 AM
This is an interesting article...but is Bono okay?

__________________
nirniva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:54 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life
 
JCOSTER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: It's a very, very mad world.
Posts: 14,971
Local Time: 01:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl-Of-IMDb View Post
I thought your letter to him is very well-written it sure put him in his place, that guy is a big idiot whos not worth our time
Thanks.
__________________

__________________
JCOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com