Silencing of the bells in Phoenix, Bishop convicted. My, how we've fallen.. - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Was the Church wrong?
No, let the bells ring as they are now. 6 50.00%
Partially wrong, maybe they could of turned down the bells a bit.. 5 41.67%
Yes, <> the church was wrong and Phx along with the whole USA is going to hell in a hand basket. 1 8.33%
Church bells, music/chanting from Mosques should be protected within reason 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-15-2009, 04:56 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
My town blocked a Buddhist Temple due to parking issues.

how much space can a few rickshaws require ?
__________________

__________________
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:58 PM   #32
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperU2 View Post
This could only happen to a Christian place of worship.
not really

pedophiles are persecuted, too.
__________________

__________________
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:59 PM   #33
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperU2 View Post
This could only happen to a Christian place of worship.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:34 PM   #34
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
There've been disputes in neighborhoods of several US cities over the local mosque's calls to prayer being too loud, too. And this isn't the first church to draw complaints for its 'bells' being too loud. Based on the video embedded in the article diamond linked, it sounds like the real problem in this case was that the bishop chose to respond nose-thumbingly to the first complaint and do nothing, rather than attempt to work out some sort of compromise.

This is my point..

I think 3 times a day would have been a nice compromise with maybe turning down the volume a tad.

Everyone would have won, but no, no a pissing match had to ensue..and now you have a percieved victim and no bells whatsoever.

The majority of neighbors liked the bells..so the majoriy lost here, because the person representing the majority is now hoisted on his own petard.

<>
__________________
diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:10 AM   #35
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,673
Local Time: 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
a pissing match had to ensue..and now you have a percieved victim and no bells whatsoever.

The majority of neighbors liked the bells..so the majoriy lost here, because the person representing the majority is now hoisted on his own petard.

<>
I agree a pissing match occurred. Religion should stop getting in pissing matches, it's not very Christ like...

But to say a "majority" liked the bells is misleading as well. Unless we've heard from a majority, it's hard to tell what they liked.
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 04:26 PM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
I agree a pissing match occurred. Religion should stop getting in pissing matches, it's not very Christ like...

But to say a "majority" liked the bells is misleading as well. Unless we've heard from a majority, it's hard to tell what they liked.

I've listened to and watch the interviews from both parties, this issue is in our local news-I'm quite familar with it.


Please don't question my objectivity on this matter.

<>
__________________
diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:09 PM   #37
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,237
Local Time: 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
I've listened to and watch the interviews from both parties, this issue is in our local news-I'm quite familar with it.


Please don't question my objectivity on this matter.

<>
And have the news teams interviewed a majority of the neighbors in the area?

That's not questioning your objectivity, by the way. That's questioning the veracity of the conclusions you've drawn. That the majority of the people you've seen interviewed like the bells doesn't necessarily mean that the majority of the church's neighbors like the bells.
__________________
Diemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:58 AM   #38
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,984
Local Time: 02:58 PM
Criminal charges?

I'd rather hear church bells than the lawn mowers, weed whackers, basketball bouncing, blaring radios, trucks, screaming kids and teens that I hear in my neighborhood-often at early and late hours

All noise (including church bells) should be in moderation and people should be considerate of others-but they aren't
__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:55 PM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
And have the news teams interviewed a majority of the neighbors in the area?

That's not questioning your objectivity, by the way. That's questioning the veracity of the conclusions you've drawn. That the majority of the people you've seen interviewed like the bells doesn't necessarily mean that the majority of the church's neighbors like the bells.

oh bother..

<>
__________________

__________________
diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com