*sigh*.....here we go.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AchtungBono

Refugee
Just what I was afraid of.

Barak Obama is so desparate to sweep away everything connected to the Bush administration, he will single-handedly bring America back to the pre-911 days.

I'm particularly appalled that he wants to close Guantanemo Bay - what would be like to do with the terrorists there? Perhaps he'd like to send them back home with a handshake, a new suit and a thousand dollars in their pocket?

I KNEW this would happen!!!! I just didn't think it would be this soon....

Obama may reverse Bush policies on stem cells, drilling, abortion - CNN.com

I tried coming up with a reply to this, I really did... but I just couldn't. Where does one start?!

Perhaps Obama would like to implement a little thing called Justice? Guantanemo Bay is not constitutional, regardless of it's location.

Barak Obama is so desparate to sweep away everything connected to the Bush administration, he will single-handedly bring America back to the pre-911 days.
:lol:

I'm particularly appalled that he wants to close Guantanemo Bay - what would be like to do with the terrorists there? Perhaps he'd like to send them back home with a handshake, a new suit and a thousand dollars in their pocket?

This soon? Nothing's happened yet.

I don't know why people love Guantanamo Bay so much. You all assume it's full of terrorist yet not one has been found guilty, we've sent hundreds back already...oops, it's a human rights abomination. It doesn't mean we're sending several hundred guilty men back on the street.

:lol:

This soon? Nothing's happened yet.

I don't know why people love Guantanamo Bay so much. You all assume it's full of terrorist yet not one has been found guilty, we've sent hundreds back already...oops, it's a human rights abomination. It doesn't mean we're sending several hundred guilty men back on the street.

Even if these people are terrorists, why are they being treated to inhumane torture which is otherwise illegal in the US? That's something I've never gotten. Why do people support the use of Waterboarding etc on some people, but not others?

If we had enough proof they were terrorists they'd have been tried by now.

He's doing what he was, now stay with me on this one, ELECTED TO DO !!!

As for Gitmo, read this, and then tell me it isn't an abomination of our justice system

Amazon.com: Enemy Combatant: My Imprisonment at Guantanamo, Bagram, and Kandahar: Moazzam Begg , Victoria Brittain: Books

Never mind, Isee you're posting from Israel, places like Guantanamo and what they represent are probably commonplace. You wouldn't feel the same sense of abhorrence most of us do in the US. I heard a report on NPR the other day that even Bush and Rice wanted to close but that Dick Cheney wouldn't let it happen.

I tried coming up with a reply to this, I really did... but I just couldn't. Where does one start?!

Perhaps Obama would like to implement a little thing called Justice? Guantanemo Bay is not constitutional, regardless of it's location.

There IS no justice when you apply the constitution - this is why a seriel killer can go free because he wasn't read his rights or why a killer's confession can be thrown out because the police got his confession without his lawyer present, or why the police can pop open a car trunk, find a deal body but be unable to use it as evidence because of a 4th amendment violation......or why anyone can buy a gun and shoot up a school because of the "wonderful" right to bear arms.

That's not my idea of justice.

Never mind, Isee you're posting from Israel, places like Guantanamo and what they represent are probably commonplace. You wouldn't feel the same sense of abhorrence most of us do in the US. I heard a report on NPR the other day that even Bush and Rice wanted to close but that Dick Cheney wouldn't let it happen.

First of all, we house the terrorists we capture in regular jails in special sections saved for security prisoners.

Secondly, Israel has been in a constant struggle against terrorism since the state was created 60 years ago - and even before, so I can understand the war on terror and the measures taken to fight it.

Thankfully, the United States hasn't had to deal with terrorism on the scale that Israel has had to. And thanks to George Bush (and the wonderful allied forces behind him), the United States has been safe from attacks on American soil for the past 7 years and hundreds of terror suspects have been captured - which wouldn't have been possible without the emergency measures that Bush set into place.

There IS no justice when you apply the constitution
There's no wonder you don't like our constitution, you don't understand it.

This actually puts a lot of things into perspective... You love George Bush but don't like our constitution, guess what neither did he. So I can understand why you fear the pre 9/11 days, those were the days when our constitution meant something.

- this is why a seriel killer can go free because he wasn't read his rights or why a killer's confession can be thrown out because the police got his confession without his lawyer present, or why the police can pop open a car trunk, find a deal body but be unable to use it as evidence because of a 4th amendment violation......or why anyone can buy a gun and shoot up a school because of the "wonderful" right to bear arms.

You've been watching far too many episodes of Law & Order. Yes sometimes when short cuts are taken criminals will get off on a technicality, but this is rare. The reason for doing something silly like reading them their rights or the 4th ammendment is protect the citizens of the US, we don't operate under a guilty until proven innocent mentality.

I thought McCain was also in favor of closing Guantanamo?

"this is why a seriel killer can go free"

That statement makes several assumptions that we cannot make about Guantanamo prisoners. Many have never been CHARGED, let alone indicted, tried, found guilty....

First of all, we house the terrorists we capture in regular jails in special sections saved for security prisoners.

Secondly, Israel has been in a constant struggle against terrorism since the state was created 60 years ago - and even before, so I can understand the war on terror and the measures taken to fight it.

Thankfully, the United States hasn't had to deal with terrorism on the scale that Israel has had to. And thanks to George Bush (and the wonderful allied forces behind him), the United States has been safe from attacks on American soil for the past 7 years and hundreds of terror suspects have been captured - which wouldn't have been possible without the emergency measures that Bush set into place.

Umm, the single largest terroris attack in the US was under George bush. We have to be thankful for that ???

Looks like you are sore that you are losing your largest benefactor, hopefully we will not be giving as much "aid" to Israel as in the past.

What does al-Queda and Israel have in common ? They have both attacked US warships and killed American servicemen.

Umm, the single largest terroris attack in the US was under George bush. We have to be thankful for that ???

Looks like you are sore that you are losing your largest benefactor, hopefully we will not be giving as much "aid" to Israel as in the past.

What does al-Queda and Israel have in common ? They have both attacked US warships and killed American servicemen.

In case aB doesn't know what I'm talking about here

USS Liberty Memorial Main Page

I've always maintained that, while I also mourn for the victims, the worst thing terrorists can do to us as a society is drag us down to their level. In that context, Guantanamo Bay was a huge and horrible step in the wrong direction and the sooner they close that monstrosity, the better.

Having said that, the question about what to do with the prisoners is a good one. These people don't seem to have any legal status so in front of which court do you judge them?

Perhaps, you can answer this question for me. The first World Trade Centre attack was in 1993, about one month into Bill Clinton's term. There had not been a single attack on American soil (if we're not talking about domestic terrorism, such as the Oklahoma City bombing) until more than eight years later, eight month's into George W. Bush's term.

So tell me, who do we have to thank that there was no terrorist attack on American soil between 1993 and 2001? The threat of attack from jihadists was present at that time, yet, no attacks.

As much as I may dislike the Clintons, I prefer the pre-9/11 days to the days we are living in right now. I'd be happy to go back to 2000 when all we had to worry about were hanging chads.

I can't wait for Obama to bring those days back. :wink:

I've never posted in one of your pro-Bush threads before, but your blind loyalty to that administration, in the face of everything that's known about them these days (I'm talking facts, not speculation), is disturbing and frightening.

Millions if not billions of people around the globe believe that Israel is itself a terrorist state. Personally I don't agree with that analysis, however viewpoints like yours are probably part of what gives rise to this idea.

For new FYM posters, there's something you have to understand about AchtungBono.

To her, there's no such thing as abuse of power, so the Constitution is unnecessary because someone like George Bush is completely trustworthy. He'll never arrest the wrong man, he'll never misuse the Patriot Act, nothing.

Better a thousand innocent men in jail than one guilty man free, right?

Thankfully, the United States hasn't had to deal with terrorism on the scale that Israel has had to. And thanks to George Bush (and the wonderful allied forces behind him), the United States has been safe from attacks on American soil for the past 7 years...

you see that episode where lisa tells bart that her special rock has prevented tiger attacks in springfield ever since she got it?

There IS no justice when you apply the constitution - this is why a seriel killer can go free because he wasn't read his rights or why a killer's confession can be thrown out because the police got his confession without his lawyer present, or why the police can pop open a car trunk, find a deal body but be unable to use it as evidence because of a 4th amendment violation......or why anyone can buy a gun and shoot up a school because of the "wonderful" right to bear arms.

Your idea of justice is not what most legal systems are based on, thankfully.

Back
Top Bottom