*sigh*.....here we go..... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2008, 09:32 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 04:15 PM
*sigh*.....here we go.....

Just what I was afraid of.

Barak Obama is so desparate to sweep away everything connected to the Bush administration, he will single-handedly bring America back to the pre-911 days.

I'm particularly appalled that he wants to close Guantanemo Bay - what would be like to do with the terrorists there? Perhaps he'd like to send them back home with a handshake, a new suit and a thousand dollars in their pocket?

I KNEW this would happen!!!! I just didn't think it would be this soon....

Obama may reverse Bush policies on stem cells, drilling, abortion - CNN.com

Old 11-18-2008, 09:38 AM   #2
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:15 PM
I tried coming up with a reply to this, I really did... but I just couldn't. Where does one start?!

Perhaps Obama would like to implement a little thing called Justice? Guantanemo Bay is not constitutional, regardless of it's location.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:44 AM   #3
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AchtungBono View Post

Barak Obama is so desparate to sweep away everything connected to the Bush administration, he will single-handedly bring America back to the pre-911 days.

Quote:
I'm particularly appalled that he wants to close Guantanemo Bay - what would be like to do with the terrorists there? Perhaps he'd like to send them back home with a handshake, a new suit and a thousand dollars in their pocket?

This soon? Nothing's happened yet.

I don't know why people love Guantanamo Bay so much. You all assume it's full of terrorist yet not one has been found guilty, we've sent hundreds back already...oops, it's a human rights abomination. It doesn't mean we're sending several hundred guilty men back on the street.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:48 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Perhaps he'd like to send them back home with a handshake, a new suit and a thousand dollars in their pocket?
How about not painting everything so awfully black and white?
Old 11-18-2008, 09:50 AM   #5
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post

This soon? Nothing's happened yet.

I don't know why people love Guantanamo Bay so much. You all assume it's full of terrorist yet not one has been found guilty, we've sent hundreds back already...oops, it's a human rights abomination. It doesn't mean we're sending several hundred guilty men back on the street.
Even if these people are terrorists, why are they being treated to inhumane torture which is otherwise illegal in the US? That's something I've never gotten. Why do people support the use of Waterboarding etc on some people, but not others?
Old 11-18-2008, 09:54 AM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 09:15 AM
Quote:

If we had enough proof they were terrorists they'd have been tried by now.

He's doing what he was, now stay with me on this one, ELECTED TO DO !!!

As for Gitmo, read this, and then tell me it isn't an abomination of our justice system

Amazon.com: Enemy Combatant: My Imprisonment at Guantanamo, Bagram, and Kandahar: Moazzam Begg , Victoria Brittain: Books
Old 11-18-2008, 09:59 AM   #7
Refugee

Quote:

Never mind, Isee you're posting from Israel, places like Guantanamo and what they represent are probably commonplace. You wouldn't feel the same sense of abhorrence most of us do in the US. I heard a report on NPR the other day that even Bush and Rice wanted to close but that Dick Cheney wouldn't let it happen.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:11 AM   #8
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by partygirlvox View Post
I tried coming up with a reply to this, I really did... but I just couldn't. Where does one start?!

Perhaps Obama would like to implement a little thing called Justice? Guantanemo Bay is not constitutional, regardless of it's location.
There IS no justice when you apply the constitution - this is why a seriel killer can go free because he wasn't read his rights or why a killer's confession can be thrown out because the police got his confession without his lawyer present, or why the police can pop open a car trunk, find a deal body but be unable to use it as evidence because of a 4th amendment violation......or why anyone can buy a gun and shoot up a school because of the "wonderful" right to bear arms.

That's not my idea of justice.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:22 AM   #9
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by toscano View Post
Never mind, Isee you're posting from Israel, places like Guantanamo and what they represent are probably commonplace. You wouldn't feel the same sense of abhorrence most of us do in the US. I heard a report on NPR the other day that even Bush and Rice wanted to close but that Dick Cheney wouldn't let it happen.
First of all, we house the terrorists we capture in regular jails in special sections saved for security prisoners.

Secondly, Israel has been in a constant struggle against terrorism since the state was created 60 years ago - and even before, so I can understand the war on terror and the measures taken to fight it.

Thankfully, the United States hasn't had to deal with terrorism on the scale that Israel has had to. And thanks to George Bush (and the wonderful allied forces behind him), the United States has been safe from attacks on American soil for the past 7 years and hundreds of terror suspects have been captured - which wouldn't have been possible without the emergency measures that Bush set into place.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:28 AM   #10
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:15 AM
Quote:
There IS no justice when you apply the constitution
There's no wonder you don't like our constitution, you don't understand it.

This actually puts a lot of things into perspective... You love George Bush but don't like our constitution, guess what neither did he. So I can understand why you fear the pre 9/11 days, those were the days when our constitution meant something.

Quote:
- this is why a seriel killer can go free because he wasn't read his rights or why a killer's confession can be thrown out because the police got his confession without his lawyer present, or why the police can pop open a car trunk, find a deal body but be unable to use it as evidence because of a 4th amendment violation......or why anyone can buy a gun and shoot up a school because of the "wonderful" right to bear arms.

You've been watching far too many episodes of Law & Order. Yes sometimes when short cuts are taken criminals will get off on a technicality, but this is rare. The reason for doing something silly like reading them their rights or the 4th ammendment is protect the citizens of the US, we don't operate under a guilty until proven innocent mentality.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:38 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:15 AM
I thought McCain was also in favor of closing Guantanamo?

"this is why a seriel killer can go free"

That statement makes several assumptions that we cannot make about Guantanamo prisoners. Many have never been CHARGED, let alone indicted, tried, found guilty....
Old 11-18-2008, 10:39 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toscano View Post
I heard a report on NPR the other day that even Bush and Rice wanted to close but that Dick Cheney wouldn't let it happen.
Yeah pretty much everyone is/was in favor....
Old 11-18-2008, 10:56 AM   #13
She's the One

Local Time: 08:15 AM
Quote:
There IS no justice when you apply the constitution

Old 11-18-2008, 11:04 AM   #14
Refugee

Quote:
First of all, we house the terrorists we capture in regular jails in special sections saved for security prisoners.

Secondly, Israel has been in a constant struggle against terrorism since the state was created 60 years ago - and even before, so I can understand the war on terror and the measures taken to fight it.

Thankfully, the United States hasn't had to deal with terrorism on the scale that Israel has had to. And thanks to George Bush (and the wonderful allied forces behind him), the United States has been safe from attacks on American soil for the past 7 years and hundreds of terror suspects have been captured - which wouldn't have been possible without the emergency measures that Bush set into place.
Umm, the single largest terroris attack in the US was under George bush. We have to be thankful for that ???

Looks like you are sore that you are losing your largest benefactor, hopefully we will not be giving as much "aid" to Israel as in the past.

What does al-Queda and Israel have in common ? They have both attacked US warships and killed American servicemen.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:06 AM   #15
Refugee

Quote:

Looks like your idea of justice is imprisonment without trial. Nice. What you don't know about the US Constitution is a lot. Of course, George Bush didn't either.