Should smoking be illegal? - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2012, 12:10 AM   #106
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyfreckles

That's fine by me, I have no desire to work for someone that judges people for not finishing or going to college.

Good thing, because I don't like to hire people who think that they know everything.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:11 AM   #107
Acrobat

Local Time: 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post

Good thing, because I don't like to hire people who think that they know everything.
You have me all figured out, don't you?

Old 06-28-2012, 12:13 AM   #108
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyfreckles View Post
That's the thing, I don't think it's possible for someone to know what they want to do at 18.
For myself, I completely agree, but by saying that taking the time right out of highschool to get job experience instead of schooling experience is better, aren't you implying that those people knew what they wanted to be at 18? (I worded that horribly)
Old 06-28-2012, 12:16 AM   #109
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:44 PM
No, I don't think smoking should be illegal.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:17 AM   #110
ONE
love, blood, life

hahahaha
Old 06-28-2012, 12:18 AM   #111
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

You have me all figured out, don't you?

I think you have a limited experience of the world.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:19 AM   #112
ONE
love, blood, life

Interesting how a bill about masturbation can turn into a circumcision about schooling
Old 06-28-2012, 12:21 AM   #113
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
For myself, I completely agree, but by saying that taking the time right out of highschool to get job experience instead of schooling experience is better, aren't you implying that those people knew what they wanted to be at 18? (I worded that horribly)
I don't think it's better, oops. That was bad wording on my part (my brain doesn't always transfer well onto paper). I think what's important is that if you aren't sure what you want to do/be, you should try to take time off after high school and work instead (or work and take some classes part time to get a feel for how college works). There are some people that knew what they wanted to be from a young age and went off to college and did just that. But many others keep ending up in unfortunate positions where they have degrees they didn't want and have to go back to school to get another degree or live with what they studied. It's really sad especially considering how college isn't cheap.

Experience is drastically undervalued while college is overvalued. College does many things, but it doesn't guarantee that you'll be a better worker or a more valuable employee. I try to raise awareness of this by using the argument that, if professionalism is something you're concerned about, wouldn't you want someone who spent those years in a professional environment? Not a school? But many people do both. Many do internships. And some people are just naturally gifted at managing time because they're gods or something (or their parents just did an awesome job).

Quote:
I think you have a limited experience of the world.
Well of course I do. I'm only twenty and the world is billions of years old.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:26 AM   #114
Blue Crack Supplier

It all makes much more sense.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:46 AM   #115
Acrobat

Quote:
It all makes much more sense.
And there is where I stop you. While older people may be more experienced in general, it doesn't always guarantee that they know more. There are plenty of people twice my age who have no handle on reality and endanger their children with ignorant beliefs. No two people have the same experiences. There is stuff I have seen and lived through that many people go their entire lives without even hearing about.

Age is just a number and ageism/adultism is a ridiculous form of discrimination used to divide people even further. It's not a good idea to operate under the assumption that if someone ages they will soon adopt your ideas and beliefs about life. People grow up and build drastically different viewpoints in their minds based on their experiences. It's funny how you'll meet two very experienced, educated and elderly individuals and they will both have completely different ideas of what is and isn't smart. One of those strange things about life.

I've met sixteen-year-olds that can emotionally and intellectually compete with someone in their sixties. I've met incredibly intelligent middle-aged people and ignorant elderly folk. I've met brilliant elders and ignorant middle aged people. I've met stupid teenagers. I've met idiots in their twenties. I've met geniuses in their twenties. What's regarded as maturity also varies from culture to culture. After meeting people who had lived for 2-3 times as long as me and held the same viewpoints, that's when I started to realize how little age mattered. There are people twice as old as me that attribute my "ignorance" to my age because I disagree with them, but then there are people the same age as them who agree with me and view my thoughts and ideas as wisdom and maturity. It's extremely subjective. Just because my tone is different, or I come off a certain way, does not guarantee that you'll guess my age.

In a social experiment done for a class project during my freshman year my group went onto a forum and found old posts of members to copy. Outside of introducing ourselves and giving our age and interests, we never wrote out the posts ourselves--it was all copy-and-paste. We found that other members would use age as an argument, even when we had copied posts form someone much older than our supposed age. I played the role of a fourteen-year-old boy, and had people constantly talking down to me and saying I was too "young and stupid" to understand anything--despite the fact that the member whose old posts I was copying was 30 years old at the time of posting.

What we found was surprising. When the 30-year-old made those posts, the posts were whole heartedly agreed with. However when the same post came from someone perceived to be half that age, there was a negative reaction. The same idea, viewed as "wisdom" from the thirty-year-old, was "ignorance" when coming out of the mouth of a teenager. It was an interesting project and changed the way I looked at things after that.

tl;dr be careful about judging things based on age
Old 06-28-2012, 12:48 AM   #116
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:44 PM
Quote:

Well of course I do. I'm only twenty and the world is billions of years old.
Having read the past few pages, this is completely unsurprising. I know it sounds condescending, but your lack of maturity has shown in this discussion. I work in higher education, and while there are certainly students who are getting degrees that are more trade related, engineering, business, film, they are also getting a foundation in the humanities. I myself was one of those liberal arts students, one degree in the Classics, and I truly believe even though I do not have a job relating to my major, I use skills I learned every day.

No one here is saying that people who don't get a degree are unintelligent. They are saying, that in general a degree indicates a person has certain skills. These can be major related, or general critical thinking, writing and literacy. This isn't to say a person who doesn't have a college degree doesn't have these skills, but when you have a large number of resumes, it can be an easy way to make cuts.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:49 AM   #117
ONE
love, blood, life

like old man strength, life experience should not be underestimated
Old 06-28-2012, 12:50 AM   #118
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyfreckles View Post
And there is where I stop you. While older people may be more experienced in general, it doesn't always guarantee that they know more.
I think Irvine may have been responding more to your views on your accomplishments. I can kind of see where he's coming from (and like trojanchick, that isn't meant to be condescending)
Old 06-28-2012, 12:54 AM   #119
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanchick99 View Post
Having read the past few pages, this is completely unsurprising. I know it sounds condescending, but your lack of maturity has shown in this discussion. I work in higher education, and while there are certainly students who are getting degrees that are more trade related, engineering, business, film, they are also getting a foundation in the humanities. I myself was one of those liberal arts students, one degree in the Classics, and I truly believe even though I do not have a job relating to my major, I use skills I learned every day.
You are aware that I'm discussing a very specific type of degree and not an entire type of college, right? I think at some colleges they call it "Generalist/(side focus)". The requirements for this degree are... really light. There are very few, if any, advanced courses and it's mostly made up of a bunch of intro and maybe level two courses. I'm serious. The required course list reads like a high school curriculum with a few more electives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
I think Irvine may have been responding more to your views on your accomplishments. I can kind of see where he's coming from (and like trojanchick, that isn't meant to be condescending)
Except it's impossible to know all of my accomplishments when I only list a select few examples. A lot of my high school experiences are things people only got to do in college and are bragged about on resumes as part of the "college experience".
Old 06-28-2012, 12:56 AM   #120
War Child

Local Time: 07:44 PM
The wealthiest people in this world do not have college degrees.

Ever since we grow up we are taught to follow the masses, as if somehow the masses are right in what they are doing, when the reality is that the masses do not know where they are going.

One of the things that a lot of people do is to go to college just for the sake of going and following the masses (what everybody else does). There are a lot of people that just by simply looking at them you can determine that they are not college-based material nor individuals who will obtain anything valuable from college in the long run.

In the end, what people should focus in is to earn money effectively, whether with college or not.