Should smoking be illegal? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2012, 05:21 PM   #31
War Child

Local Time: 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyfreckles View Post

I do think we should start making it difficult to buy mass quantities of food (i.e. get rid of the supersize menu). If you want to drink 64oz of soda at once that's fine by me but you're going to have to go out of your way to do it.
I cannot think of one logical reason to do this.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #32
War Child

Local Time: 03:54 AM
Rationing food will be somewhat visible in about 50 to 100 years from now when there will be no land left to grow food due to overconsumption and overpopulation.

Is that a logical reason?

Old 06-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:54 AM
it sickens me that over-eating is an ever-growing problem in the West, while elsewhere people are starving
Old 06-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #34
45:33

Local Time: 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfit00
Rationing food will be somewhat visible in about 50 to 100 years from now when there will be no land left to grow food due to overconsumption and overpopulation.

Is that a logical reason?
O wise one, tell us more
Old 06-26-2012, 06:38 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

How about we just let individuals govern their own fucking bodies?
Old 06-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:54 AM
If people want to eat a quadruple bacon burger and a super big gulp, that's their business, but it's also my business to judge the fat asses for doing it
Old 06-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #37
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:54 PM
eh, never mind.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:07 PM   #38
The Male

Local Time: 11:54 PM
Let people do whatever they want and tax the shit out of it.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:31 PM   #39
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2DMfan
How about we just let individuals govern their own fucking bodies?
That's great in theory, but there is a collective price that we pay for those that choose early, slow and costly deaths.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:50 PM   #40
War Child

There're some arguments against governmental supplied/tax funded healthcare to be made about this, but this probably isn't the place.

What about perfectly in shape, healthy individuals who want to occasionally eat unhealthy meals?
Old 06-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #41
Acrobat

Local Time: 12:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb8844 View Post
There's some arguments against governmental supplied/tax funded healthcare to be made about this, but this probably isn't the place.

What about perfectly in shape, healthy individuals who want to occasionally eat unhealthy meals?
I wasn't suggesting banning it all together. My suggestion was taking the convenience out of it either by taxing or by banning the super large portions so if a person wants a super sized burger he'll have to get two smaller meals and spend more money. He can still eat just as much as he wants, but now he's forced to go slightly out of his way to do it. As for the 64oz sodas... you can go to a grocery store and get huge bottles of soda for only $3. If you want that much soda that badly go to a grocery store. I think America has this over emphasis on making mass quantities of food cheap. Our food is cheaper than a lot of other countries who pay as much as 8-15% more (depends on the country) for the same food. Meanwhile a gallon of milk goes up by 20 cents and all of the sudden Americans are "starving".

In order to prevent over consumption and using up our natural resources we should make it possible but much more expensive/inconvenient to buy fast food. This way you still have a "choice" but you might be less likely to make that choice.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:00 PM   #42
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyfreckles View Post
I wasn't suggesting banning it all together. My suggestion was taking the convenience out of it either by taxing or by banning the super large portions so if a person wants a super sized burger he'll have to get two smaller meals and spend more money. He can still eat just as much as he wants, but now he's forced to go slightly out of his way to do it. As for the 64oz sodas... you can go to a grocery store and get huge bottles of soda for only $3. If you want that much soda that badly go to a grocery store. I think America has this over emphasis on making mass quantities of food cheap. Our food is cheaper than a lot of other countries who pay as much as 8-15% more (depends on the country) for the same food. Meanwhile a gallon of milk goes up by 20 cents and all of the sudden Americans are "starving".

In order to prevent over consumption and using up our natural resources we should make it possible but much more expensive/inconvenient to buy fast food. This way you still have a "choice" but you might be less likely to make that choice.
Why should I, an in shape, healthy man with a high metabolism, be forced to pay more or go out of my way to eat something I want?
Old 06-26-2012, 08:00 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
I understand the idea you propose in theory, ladyfreckles, and don't necessarily think it's a bad idea in and of itself. But given the sort of money I see people willing to shell out for cigarettes, I don't know that making other unhealthy things more expensive will make them stop and think a bit about buying that stuff.

Seriously, it is insane the money people spend on cigarettes. I could think of SO many better uses for it.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:03 PM   #44
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb8844
There're some arguments against governmental supplied/tax funded healthcare to be made about this, but this probably isn't the place.

Well let's not forget even when fully private sector we collectively pay. Don't fall for that Republican shell game where they conveniently sweep those kinds of facts under the rug.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:05 PM   #45
Acrobat

Local Time: 12:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb8844 View Post
Why should I, an in shape, healthy man with a high metabolism, be forced to pay more or go out of my way to eat something I want?
Because mass quantity and consumption of food/substances that are not only harmful to you but are unnecessary is a luxury, not a human right. We pay less for food than other countries do, I think we can handle paying a little more for food that destroys our hearts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
I understand the idea you propose in theory, ladyfreckles, and don't necessarily think it's a bad idea in and of itself. But given the sort of money I see people willing to shell out for cigarettes, I don't know that making other unhealthy things more expensive will make them stop and think a bit about buying that stuff.

Seriously, it is insane the money people spend on cigarettes. I could think of SO many better uses for it.
The restrictions and taxes on cigarettes have drastically cut down cigarette consumption over the past few decades. Yes, people do continue to do it. It's unrealistic to expect everyone to stop. But it makes people have to think about something like that before getting into it.