Sexist or celebratory?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AliEnvy

Refugee
30e3303347225053619b233ac38cd674.jpg

any articles for us to see?

edit: and before having seen any articles, we can assume those who find it sexist are the usual uptight sort who are either a) unfamiliar with sports illustrated, b) unfamiliar with how the sport is conducted or c) all of the above.

I'm not seeing it. I mean, I see a skier in a ski outfit in a ski pose. Is the tight suit sexist? I thought it was for aerodynamics..

she's not wearing a helmet and is wearing some makeup.

but a helmet would defeat the purpose of putting her on the cover (if they've got an interview with her they might want to actually show who she is, and do downhill skiers wear helmets?) and the makeup is somewhat of a no shit thing for a studio photo shoot.

i'm thinking those who are offended might want to remove the stick from their ass. but really, let's just refer to my first post in the thread.

"In sport media research, we would code that as a passive shot. She is not actually on the slope skiing, with her helmet on. She is in a posed tuck position in an attempt to simulate what actually skiing would look like."

argument fail?

I can see why the knee-jerk reaction is to focus on her ass and the skintight suit, but .... it's ski-wear, and from what I've been told, that's a skiing pose, so .... :shrug:

"When females are featured on the cover of SI, they are more likely than not to be in sexualized poses and not in action–and the most recent Vonn cover is no exception," she said.

Uh, so has she ever seen people ski?

"In sport media research, we would code that as a passive shot. She is not actually on the slope skiing, with her helmet on. She is in a posed tuck position in an attempt to simulate what actually skiing would look like."
Didn't you just say that these are not in action pics? And now she's attempting to do the very same thing?
Kinda obvious she's not wearing her helmet, she's on the cover of a magazine. How would people recognise her with a helmet on? :rolleyes:
She continued, "Picture this as a way to frame what I’m trying to get at: Picture a male ski racer in a similar pose on the cover of SI, smiling at the camera. Would we see that? How would you react to that picture, verses the picture of Vonn?"
Uh, yes we would? And I wouldn't care either way since they're just pictures of people striking a ski pose?

I'm ashamed this woman is even an academic with such prehistorical views on sexuality. :|

can't argue with that! i don't even know why there's a big fuss. i think she looks good, it's a nice change from the regularly sexualised stick insects we see on magazine covers. should sports illustrated be getting praise for this?

Yeah, good point. This looks much better than a slutty stick on a cover. And still they find a thing to complain about. :rolleyes: Well maybe we should photograph all women in a garbage bag with tights and long sleeves from now on for covershots eh?

She's a gifted athlete at the very top of her game AND gorgeous. I salute the photographer for capturing both. Tastefully I might add.

I see nothing wrong with the cover. And even if it is sexualized, hasn't anyone heard of the term "sex sells"?

Back
Top Bottom