Seriously... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2010, 02:56 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 03:39 PM
Seriously...

Why is it so important for women to look eternally young? As someone who does look very young -- I am often mistaken for twenty, despite being thirty four --, I can tell you it isn't nearly as much fun as you are led to believe by the media. You are not taken seriously. You get repeatedly asked about your 'beauty regime'.

I'm confused: what, exactly, is a 'beauty regime'? I don't have one. Nor do I want to develop one. Although I have my suspicions that all this 'beauty regimening (is that even a word?) and makeup applying actually causes wrinkles.

Perhaps, just perhaps, I ought to test the theory that sleeping in makeup adds ten years to one's face.

Huh. Wonder if I'll look thirty then?

I have even been offered tutoring in how to 'maintain my youthful glow'. Huh? Do I somehow come across to you as someone who wants a 'youthful glow'? If I looked any younger, I'd get harassed for being truant from grade school. Really.

Is it too much to ask for, is it really much too hard, for the the fashion and 'beauty' industry to come up with clothing that helps a person look their age? I'm not fond of the teenager look. I'd like to trade it in for a wrinkle or six, kthx.

Brought to you by the Council for Age-Appropriate Gear, Serious Frustration Organization, and the By God, Stop Asking Me That! Council.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:08 PM   #2
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Local Time: 10:39 AM
Does your mommy know you're posting this in here?

Old 03-23-2010, 03:23 PM   #3
War Child

Yes, Beaver she does. And she actually gave me permission to do so. However, your mommy called to have me tell you it's time for your nap and your sippy cup.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:27 PM   #4
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devlin View Post
Why is it so important for women to look eternally young?
Because modern western society has deemed it so!

Society has told us we are no use to anyone once we gain an ounce of flab, a tiny wrinkle, or have stopped becoming birthing machines.

(Okay, I really only stand by the first part, and the second part is mostly an exaggeration.)

I'm 36 and don't mind looking younger. I like the looks of surprise I get when the cashier at the liquor store sees me ID.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:29 PM   #5
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Local Time: 10:39 AM
Quote:
Yes, Beaver she does. And she actually gave me permission to do so. However, your mommy called to have me tell you it's time for your nap and your sippy cup.
I don't want to nap. Not yet. Five minutes.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:49 PM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 11:39 AM
Enjoy it while it lasts.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:00 PM   #7
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydewaze View Post
Enjoy it while it lasts.
What's to enjoy?
Old 03-23-2010, 04:35 PM   #8
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Quote:
What's to enjoy?
Enjoy looking young?

I'm 37 and I get told I look in my 20s and I appreciate the compliment. I don't have fake boobs or botox or lip injections or anything like that so why not enjoy the fact that you look naturally young without having to make any unnatural enhancements like so many women out there do. By the time you're 50 or 60 you might be wishing you appreciated it more when you were younger.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:38 PM   #9
Blue Crack Distributor

I could see an issue if I were in my 30s and look 20 - I'm sure there would be situations where I'm not respected, or condescended to if people think I'm "just a kid."

Looking younger than you are gets better and better as you get older, but if you look THAT much younger, I could see how that could cause annoyances in some situations.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:51 PM   #10
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicy View Post
Enjoy looking young?

I'm 37 and I get told I look in my 20s and I appreciate the compliment. I don't have fake boobs or botox or lip injections or anything like that so why not enjoy the fact that you look naturally young without having to make any unnatural enhancements like so many women out there do. By the time you're 50 or 60 you might be wishing you appreciated it more when you were younger.
See, to me, it isn't a compliment. It's insulting. It makes life difficult for me. There are things I want to do in my life that are made harder by my perceived youth and inexperience. I have to work twice as hard to be considered half as good. There really are no advantages to me being looked at as a 'kid'.

Feh. All this might be amusing when I'm fifty. Maybe. Somehow, I doubt that very much.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:53 PM   #11
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

I suppose if you look like a 'kid' I can see an issue with certain situations. What about trying a different hair style or the way you dress, get some sophisticated looking glasses, or you can borrow my grandma's earrings..
Old 03-23-2010, 04:59 PM   #12
Blue Crack Distributor

Or try to interject the following sayings into conversation:

"You damn kids, get off my lawn!"

"Back in MY day ..."

"I have a whole stack of VHS tapes and 8-tracks to get through this week!"

Old 03-23-2010, 05:01 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:39 AM
Old 03-23-2010, 05:13 PM   #14
War Child

Haha! Crusty Grandma Devlin. Insert Tyler Perry's Madea.

Yes, Sicy, I'll borrow your grandma's earrings. That might work.
Yeah, I want to try a new way to dress. Everyone wants to sell me low-rise pants. Which... is a no. :P I think I'm going to have to get completely away from jeans. Go for something else. As far as hair, I've noticed that the shorter my hair is, the older I actually look. The longer it is, the younger I look. Creepy.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:07 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:39 PM
Quote:
Why is it so important for women to look eternally young? As someone who does look very young -- I am often mistaken for twenty, despite being thirty four --, I can tell you it isn't nearly as much fun as you are led to believe by the media. You are not taken seriously. You get repeatedly asked about your 'beauty regime'.

I'm confused: what, exactly, is a 'beauty regime'? I don't have one. Nor do I want to develop one. Although I have my suspicions that all this 'beauty regimening (is that even a word?) and makeup applying actually causes wrinkles.

Perhaps, just perhaps, I ought to test the theory that sleeping in makeup adds ten years to one's face.

Huh. Wonder if I'll look thirty then?

I have even been offered tutoring in how to 'maintain my youthful glow'. Huh? Do I somehow come across to you as someone who wants a 'youthful glow'? If I looked any younger, I'd get harassed for being truant from grade school. Really.

Is it too much to ask for, is it really much too hard, for the the fashion and 'beauty' industry to come up with clothing that helps a person look their age? I'm not fond of the teenager look. I'd like to trade it in for a wrinkle or six, kthx.

Brought to you by the Council for Age-Appropriate Gear, Serious Frustration Organization, and the By God, Stop Asking Me That! Council.
Count your lucky genes.