Seriously...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wish people would wonder if I was too old to be doing that. I got asked for id when I borrowed a lighter for a cigarette. Two weeks ago. Seriously?

Oh, yes, the settled sdown with kids speech. I get that so often I could about kill the next person who starts in on that. I'm starting to develop a twitch. People assume I'm a kid who will be looking forward to marrying and having kids. Uh, no, no I'm not. I plan to have my uterus removed as soon as I can find a doctor willing to do it. At 34, it's a pretty safe bet that there shall be no kids. I almost married once. And I'm so relieved that it didn't work out. I don't even touch babies more than once in a day if I can possibly help it. I'd much rather go bungee jumping. And I'm deathly afraid of heights.

Well at least you never have to worry about anyone mistaking you for someone that's not completely abrasive. :up:

I have the same problem. Do you know how hard it is for a 19 year old to get a fake ID when I look like I'm 14? Practically impossible. You can't put anything past those liquor store clerks.

We see eye to eye on this one, Devlin.

Until around 21 or 22, I would have passed for a few years younger.

Sadly those days are long gone. Thanks tobacco!

like, a guy of 36/37 could still be bmxing with skill if he wanted, but a girl has to be settled down with kids that age. or a guy can look a bit 'rough and wrinkled' and still do fun things with skill but a girl/woman doing the same looks wrong.

Well, you probably have a point here and yes it is a bit unfair.

and how its projected on to us that men only adore young looking girls.

That might be the image but isn't necessarily true in reality.

This seems like the place for this:
I just want to put in a word about all women and their hair.

I love long, natural hair. PLEASE don't chop off your hair and dye it when you get older. I adore women with some gray or white in the their hair.
And, if you are rocking a long grayish/white braid in your late-40s to 60s? :up: :heart:

This is one of the few agreements I have made with my wife. Keep your hair long and natural. (I'll even wash it for you occasionally.)

That's all. I hope that's not too creepy. :reject:

yeah Kramwest, a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time ago we saw this elderly lady, prob in her 90s, with long (just past her shoulders) natural grey hair in a plait, she looked so beautiful/elegant.

A LOT of women past 40 chop their hair, apparantly, prob when menopause/middle-age happens they do it, or rather, a lot of guys comment that long hair on older woman looks wrong. like the women are too old for it.............I say that is purest bollox of the highest degree!

Well, you probably have a point here and yes it is a bit unfair.

That might be the image but isn't necessarily true in reality.

Ya FG, it IS a point. however if the girl is single and pretty occupied with a skill, whatever, if she shows her confidence, she is accepted.

take Lady Jules for example, still B-Girl at 33 (ish), maybe even 34 - most people would say thats for teens and younger........I think she is awesome.

haha, truth is I missed out on so much in my younger years theres things I wanna do now, like RBing for fun.

but no matter what, I will always envy guys.

:wink:

"So what grade are you in?" :doh: I said "Umm, I'm not.." He said "I think you go to my school." :doh: :doh: I asked "How old are you?" He said "16." I said "I think I'm a bit too old for you." But he kept insisting that I went to his school. Fml.

How did you not punch him in the face? :crack:

Here's creepy...on holiday with family at a mountain resort when I was 14, chillin in the public hot tub with my dad and two younger brothers amongst a group of 20somethings. Guess who they thought I was? :yikes: :yuck:

:madspit:

Who?

Well at least you never have to worry about anyone mistaking you for someone that's not completely abrasive. :up:

lol.

kramwest1: Heh. Nice to know you like long hair on women. I have no plans to dye my hair once it turns gray. As far as letting it grow out? No. Long hair is work for me. I've had it long and hated it as a child. Combing? Please. My mother had to tie me down. I'm good with a nice, comb-free buzz cut, thank you very much.

no spoken words... Who, me? I'm the epitome of gentleness and politically correct speech.

Rather like Johnny Weir does not like pink tassels.

I was very relieved when I got to the end and you mentioned you now find it amusing, cause that part made me howl :lmao:
:lol:

:grumpy:

I love long, natural hair. PLEASE don't chop off your hair and dye it when you get older. I adore women with some gray or white in the their hair.
And, if you are rocking a long grayish/white braid in your late-40s to 60s? :up: :heart:

This is one of the few agreements I have made with my wife. Keep your hair long and natural. (I'll even wash it for you occasionally.)

I love my hair long and natural. For years, I often opted for more sophisticated, shorter cuts to attempt to look older, but I finally decided that I prefer my hair long. It just doesn't matter to me as much anymore how others percieve me. :D

How did you not punch him in the face? :crack:
:giggle: Ah, if I punched every male who said stupid things to me............ NSW would have many black eyes.

:giggle: Ah, if I punched every male who said stupid things to me............ NSW would have many black eyes.

I'll see you in two months you little shit.

And, no, that's NOT the way to speak to a lady, but, look around....not too many ladies up in this bitch, except for Uberbeaver the sad, mincing, effeminate clown.

I think in general it's still easier for men when they get older. There are always exceptions and thankfully not all people value people just for looks and "youth". But for relationships and forget about that..just being valued and appreciated and considered attractive. Just how I see it. But much of it also depends upon how you see yourself, and you can't let other people f with that-as hard as it is sometimes. So maybe that holds true for being seen as "too young looking" too.

When you're really young you have no idea how fast time goes by-so savor it and appreciate it.

Well, duh! You're a guy, so naturally you are the ultimate authority on what women should do with the hair that grows out of their own heads. :rolleyes:

Long hair can be very hard to manage, especially when it is naturally curly and has a tendency to frizz - and once the grays start coming in, it becomes even more unmanageable (at least that's been the case for me). I still wear is longish and I haven't started dying it yet, but I have no idea how I will feel 5 or 10 years down the road when it really starts going gray.

It's okay kramwest. I have long hair, and I like it.:heart: (...but you can't wash it.)
I look young for my age and I like it too.

It so far hasn't affected me much, truthfully.

I guess I really don't have much else to say.

I look young for my age and I like it too.

But sometimes ...

A few months ago (one day before my 30th birthday) I bought cigarettes. In the Netherlands you have to be 16 to buy them.
The woman behind the counter asked me if I could identify myself to prove that I was over 16! I must admit that I was slightly offended and told her that "I was turning 30 tomorrow!" She said that I should take it as a compliment...:S

In Germany some stores and discos have a policy of asking everyone, which I find pretty silly at times. Asking a person who is visibly older than 40 or 50 for id is, well, strange.

Well, duh! You're a guy, so naturally you are the ultimate authority on what women should do with the hair that grows out of their own heads. :rolleyes:

I was just putting it out there as a counter to women having to fight aging. The original point of this thread.

Besides, I shave my head, so some could argue that I am even less of an authority on hair than just being a guy. :shrug:

Because self confidence is a feeling thats precious to allot of woman.

inflicted by society shoving in our face pics of 16 year olds dolled up, modelling in magazines, and esp guys shoving in our faces airbrushed photo shots of hot female celebs and sayin how much they wanna nail them.

:D

but you know what, there are LOADS of women who are very bloody happy how they are. :hug:

The woman behind the counter asked me if I could identify myself to prove that I was over 16! I must admit that I was slightly offended and told her that "I was turning 30 tomorrow!" She said that I should take it as a compliment...:S

You should have.
:)

Oh the unending pressure to fight the clock on looks and plentiful eggs, then this.....:lol:

Throw in Darwin, evolution and intelligence for a spicy FYM Friday cocktail. :cocktail:

Evolution favours shorter and heavier women - like it or not - Lifestyle - MSN CA

Natural selection is still at work

What might our granddaughter's granddaughter's granddaughter's granddaughter's granddaughter look like? Shorter and stouter, says a report in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. If current trends continue, its authors predict, then by 2409 descendants of the women in the study will have evolved to be one kilogram heavier and two centimetres shorter than their 2010 foremothers.

For years, some scientists heralded the end of human evolution. The post-industrial homo sapiens, they argued, was free of the kinds of "survival-of-the-fittest" pressures that could drive large-scale genetic change. In 2008, Steve Jones, professor of genetics at University College London, gave a much-hyped lecture entitled "Human Evolution is Over." "Not so," says Stephen Stearns, co-author of this latest study, professor of evolutionary biology at Yale University, and founding editor of the Journal of Evolutionary Biology. "The basic take-home is that humans continue to evolve," Stearns told Maclean's.

"One [could express] the result as: women are going to get shorter and fatter," he explains. But he prefers a different bent: "There is natural selection against women being slender." Stearns's work shows that plumper, shorter women tend to bear more children who carry on those same traits. His analysis drew on data from the Framingham Heart Study: a survey, begun in 1948, that collected medical information from 5,209 subjects, and monitored them and their offspring for 60 years.

The weight part of the equation, says Stearns, is straightforward: “A woman has to have about 20 per cent body fat to ovulate and conceive.” But he admits that he “can’t give a good explanation of why they are getting shorter.” A separate study by Open University’s Daniel Nettle found that shorter women are more likely to be in long-term, offspring-producing relationships—perhaps, he hypothesized, because men evolved to disfavour tall women, who tend to reach puberty later.

Whatever the cause of the change, it won't be speedy. Humans won't evolve as fast as the Galapagos finches that helped Charles Darwin cement his evolutionary theory. Instead, the homo sapiens gal is keeping pace with the New Zealand chinook salmon and the Hawaiian mosquitofish.

Still, it’s that slow pace that is the heart of Stearns’s mission, which goes beyond simply musing about the female physique. He and his colleagues are out “to correct the still widespread misconception that natural selection is not operating on contemporary humans.” He explains that it’s true “hygiene, nutrition and medical care” have helped erase survival-of-the-fittest pressures. But as evolution’s “mortality component” becomes less significant, it makes “the variation between individuals and how many children they have more important.” In other words, evolution continues because of differences in reproductive success. So why all the disbelief? “Charles Darwin himself emphasized survival rather than reproduction,” says Stearns. “I think, though, that if you had the conversation with Darwin, he would get the point.”

The hitch, Stearns warns, is that predicted changes might not materialize. For instance: while evolution is literally pushing women down and out, environmental factors, like better nutrition, allow them to grow taller and stronger. The result of these battling influuences is impossible to predict.

Still, more scientists are turning their attention to how the female body evolves to maximize motherhood. For Steven Gaulin, anthropology professor at the University of California, it’s not a woman’s weight that is important, as much as her proportions. “There is a strong correlation between waist-hip ratio and the cognitive ability of a child,” he explains: the bigger a mother’s hips (relative to her waist), the smarter her offspring. Gaulin estimates that with every decrease of 0.01 in a mother’s waist-to-hip ratio, her child’s average cognitive score is raised 0.061 points. The reason? “The brain is fabulously fatty.” And the fats it craves, Omega-3s, are stored disproportionately in hips and thighs. That means pear-shaped moms can better fuel their babies’ brain development.

But for others, like Dr. Andrew Clark, researcher at the University of Bristol, “just pointing out the size [of a hip, thigh or bottom is] too simplistic.” Instead, he says, you must focus on “pertness.” A fit bosom or butt signals “fertility, fecundity, offspring quality,” he explains. “They signify youth; the slings and arrows of time have not had time to work their magic and make things saggy, which is a pretty good indicator that this person still has a long reproductive lifespan.” Clark thinks sexual preference for fertile mates has made pert bums, like J.Lo’s, objects of attraction.

Stearns’s work ultimately considers more than just shape. He predicts that women will also evolve to have “better cardiovascular health” and a larger “reproductive window,” with earlier periods and later menopause. Still, he says his ideas were tough for some to buy. “When news of this result first broke—that women are getting shorter and fatter—there were a lot of inquiries,” he laughs, because the forecast seems to counter “standards of beauty in our culture.” Those standards may well have to change, at least by 2409.

Enjoy looking young?

I'm 37 and I get told I look in my 20s and I appreciate the compliment. I don't have fake boobs or botox or lip injections or anything like that so why not enjoy the fact that you look naturally young without having to make any unnatural enhancements like so many women out there do. By the time you're 50 or 60 you might be wishing you appreciated it more when you were younger.

I'm in my early fifties and most people think I am at least ten years younger. I have never had any kind of cosmetic surgery. I think it looks un-natural. What, I suggest to everyone here is to use sunscreen. Protect your skin. When, you are my age. You will be glad that you did. Also, get proper rest and eat a healthy diet. Exercise will not only help you to have that "youthful glow." It does wonders for your general health.

I was never confident/stylish (in my own way!), in my 20s, only now in my 30s

but I still look late 20s to pretty much all peeps, but prob late 30s when I smile now. :lol:

Sicy I think you are gorgeous, I always did find you attractive in a sense that, I like your image. :up:

Back
Top Bottom