Senator throws snowball, thereby disproving global warming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:hi5:

There are people here who will never ever let go of the Sonics thing. (Including some who still boycott Starbucks because the CEO initially sold the team to the dude who would take the team out of Seattle).

Me, I couldn't care less about basketball.

Seattle people are perfectly clean and hygienic. You're thinking of the hippies in rural Oregon.

i expected to be yelled at
I was going to say you are the exception the proves the rule

and I don't know that much about WA, except the stereotypes,
stoners and grunge

We're having a very, very mild winter in Seattle. Very little snowfall in the mountains, so the ski areas are hurting. That also means summer problems, including a potentially extra-dangerous fire season, with insufficient snow-pack.

Good times.

The whole western half of the US has been well above average in temperatures and well below average in precip for the last several years.

Unrelated (kind of?) to climate change, but it's tragic that El Niño didn't come online in full strength this winter, at least for the sake of the West.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The whole western half of the US has been well above average in temperatures and well below average in precip for the last several years.

Unrelated (kind of?) to climate change, but it's tragic that El Niño didn't come online in full strength this winter, at least for the sake of the West.

Parts of Texas where my uncle lives are under such a severe drought that they can no longer water their lawns or wash their cars. In fact he said something to the effect that they are recycling waste water for drinking water.

It can make the difference between dying of dehydratation and survival in places experiencing severe drought, so I'd say it's pretty brilliant.

Parts of Texas where my uncle lives are under such a severe drought that they can no longer water their lawns or wash their cars. In fact he said something to the effect that they are recycling waste water for drinking water.

Recycling waste water is an excellent idea.

But things are also not so great here in Austin. While the city of Austin has had above normal rainfall for the past year or so, the area just west of it where the reservoirs are has been massively dry really since about 2009, with a break in 2010 because of tropical activity, so our reservoirs are only about 30% full. We keep waiting for big rains in the west to fill them up, but, invariably, when it rains heavily, it's always 20 miles east of where it needs to be, so all the water flows down to the Gulf of Mexico instead of being stored.

I live in West Texas; it never rains here and it's a serious problem. Luckily, we haven't had to resort to recycling water yet where I live. But 2 summers ago we had like 84 days straight of +100 temps. It was insane.
Recycling water is the only option for a lot of areas and is in fact quite effective. But the lakes are drying fast and this area is going to either live or die by the rainfall in the next couple years. They can't keep recycling water forever.

I don't think it's quite that dire yet :uhoh:

Yeah if im going to do that id at least like there to be some level of perversion involved :cabbagepatch:

Recycling waste water is an excellent idea.

But things are also not so great here in Austin. While the city of Austin has had above normal rainfall for the past year or so, the area just west of it where the reservoirs are has been massively dry really since about 2009, with a break in 2010 because of tropical activity, so our reservoirs are only about 30% full. We keep waiting for big rains in the west to fill them up, but, invariably, when it rains heavily, it's always 20 miles east of where it needs to be, so all the water flows down to the Gulf of Mexico instead of being stored.

I live in West Texas; it never rains here and it's a serious problem. Luckily, we haven't had to resort to recycling water yet where I live. But 2 summers ago we had like 84 days straight of +100 temps. It was insane.
Recycling water is the only option for a lot of areas and is in fact quite effective. But the lakes are drying fast and this area is going to either live or die by the rainfall in the next couple years. They can't keep recycling water forever.

My uncle is in Wichita Falls. But i guess that problem is not unique to them.

I remember someone here telling me that Lake Travis in Austin was horribly low. Even our lakes here were pretty bad after the awful summer of 2011, they have recovered somewhat but not near the levels they should be.

A healthy wet spring would do us all some good.

I remember someone here telling me that Lake Travis in Austin was horribly low. Even our lakes here were pretty bad after the awful summer of 2011, they have recovered somewhat but not near the levels they should be.

Yeah, it's Lake Travis (along with Lake Buchanan) that I was talking about. Just a tad above 30% full, and its monthly inflows keep clocking in at roughly 10% of average. It plunged from 75% to 30% in 2011, and hasn't really recovered since. It made it above 50% for a bit in 2012, but then fell back down.

Living my whole life on the east coast, save for a brief interlude in Northern Europe, I have never experienced anything close to a drought.

I do, however, follow the US Drought Monitor, and have recently taken a keen interest in the present California drought. Seems the big problem is not lack of rain, there have been several big rain events especially in NoCal this winter. It's that the storms have been so warm they haven't gotten the snow, and what replaces reservoirs is the yearlong trickle from melting snowpack.

Still, the Midwest and Colorado have recovered very well from the 2012 drought, and even the northern mountains of NM and AZ have recently gotten heavy snowfall. So this can and will change. It's just seems like there are several incredibly stubborn areas, like the Texas and OK panhandles, and now Southern California. And that high pressure over the west draws cold, scumbag Canadian air that has frozen the east these past 2 winters.

It will be interesting to see what's going to happen. It's not like people are going to start leaving California.

Yeah, we have never had more than mild water restrictions maybe one summer years ago. Normally our rain is right where it needs to be.

Why people in drought areas of western states insist on watering their lawns has always been completely incomprehensible to me. You live in an arid climate, not in Scotland.

Why people in drought areas of western states insist on watering their lawns has always been completely incomprehensible to me. You live in an arid climate, not in Scotland.

I live in Oregon (Portland area, so not in the drought zone) and my dad replaced our grass in the backyard with artificial turf. They need to start doing that in the Southwest.

Back
Top Bottom