Senator Chris Matthews?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BonosSaint

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Seems like Chris Matthews is considering a Senate run against Arlen Specter in PA in 2010. Current polling shows him 3 points behind Specter at this early stage. Don't know how his numbers are running against other Democrats.

On the whole, I'm content with Specter and while I prefer a Democratic majority in the Senate, I'll vote for Specter unless he withdraws for ill health.

Just wondering what the few Pennsylvanians on fym think? Rest of you all feel free to chime in too, if you want.

Chris Matthews Inches Toward Senate Run, Politico: MSNBC Host Advised To Quit Cable Channel Sooner Rather Than Later - CBS News

The only reason he's a Senate candidate is that his wife messed around (with Keith Olbermann perhaps-well that would be my guess). I think he might be a witchy stripteaser too..

Matthews is obviously a Democrat who regrets having voted for and promoted Bush in 2000 and now is seeking to make up for it. That is why he was so strongly for Obama this yr. That being said, he was much less overt and much more fair than my friend Keith Olbermann(who I like, just think he should tone it down). Chris has always seemed to be the most knowledgable of the issues and also the most pragmatic and fair analyst on MSNBC. He has a deep love for and knowledge of politics, polling, numbers, demographics, campaigns, etc and that shows and is appreciated. If I have any complaints on him as an anchor/analyst, it is his proclivity to stick his finger in the wind and promote whichever side is up. He loved Bush in 04, loved Republicans, etc. Same w/Democrats this yr. He was at his true best Chris Matthews in 2006 when we truly did not know what the hell way the elections would go as far as party control of chambers.

Matthews' knowledge and moderate Democratic views combined with his name recognition and obvious caring about the future of the country(just see the emotion when talking about the Iraq war- this man understands it has real effects on real people) would make him an excellent US Senator. The only better qualified 'celebrity' would probably be Bono, but that will not happen for obvious reasons!

WASHINGTON — MSNBC political commentator Chris Matthews has told his colleagues he won't be leaving television to run for a U.S. Senate seat from Pennsylvania.

MSNBC spokesman Jeremy Gaines says Matthews told the staff of his "Hardball" show Wednesday that he's not going to run for the seat against Republican Sen. Arlen Specter in 2010.

There's been speculation that Matthews would challenge Specter, and there have been published reports that Matthews has privately discussed the possibility.

The 63-year-old Matthews is a Philadelphia native. He ran for a northeast Philadelphia congressional seat in 1974 but lost the Democratic primary.

Matthews also has worked as an aide on Capitol Hill.

I live in PA, I dont dislike Arlen, I think he's been good. But Chris would get my vote. Would be a very close race most likely, alot of people here love Arlen.

Last night during MSNBC's Potomac Primary coverage, Chris Matthews and Keith Olbermann were discussing Barack Obama's speech. Matthews — who, in the past, has both cried over an Obama speech and compared him to Jesus — described exactly what happens to him when Obama speaks:

I have to tell you, you know, it's part of reporting this case, this election, the feeling most people get when they hear Barack Obama's speech. My, I felt this thrill going up my leg. I mean, I don't have that too often.

He would have to have some special pants made
so he would not be "thrilled to death" at a State of the Union Address.

I live in PA, I dont dislike Arlen, I think he's been good. But Chris would get my vote. Would be a very close race most likely, alot of people here love Arlen.

I feel the same way Bean Skidds, as I live in PA also. There are some things that I do like about Spector, and what he has done for PA, but the way he treated Anita Hill back during the Clarence Thomas hearings, in 1991, was just plain mean and totally uncalled for. He made her look that she was in the wrong, and I believe that Thomas did those things to Anita. I think it is time for some new blood in PA, for a new senator here. He has been in office for 28 years, and has some health issues. So Chris would get my vote as well. Also I agree it will be a tight race.

I hate Chris Matthews. I admired him for a few weeks when I first saw his show Hardball in 1998. He was all pissed off about Clinton every single day. And that's one thing.

But then he makes jokes and barely examines with real seriousness the Bush administration's abuse of the world and its institutions and those of America, and pokes fun at Howard Dean's yahoo moment, which in all seriousness was not a big deal, but exploited for mindless bullying by media types who think they're so cool.

In light of his willingness to make a ridiculously huge deal about the Lewinsky affair, but laugh it up at Howard Dean and the seriousness the Democrats and the world faced in Bush in 2004, I find it hard to ever forgive him.

That and his pro-Israeli crap.
I'd rather he die, choking on his own vomit.

On the other hand, I'm quite thrilled Al Franken IS a Senator! Yes!

Back
Top Bottom