Senator Caroline Kennedy ?????????????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
carolineweb_6.jpg

In New Poll, Voters Split on Caroline's Qualifications

by Jimmy Vielkind on December 23, 2008

ALBANY—A poll shows voters are reasonably cool to Caroline, but she's still who they expect Governor Paterson to appoint.

Forty-one percent of the 834 New York voters think she is not qualified to hold the seat, compared to 40 percent who do. But 46 percent of those surveyed thought she would be a good senator if appointed, and she slightly leads Attorney General Andrew Cuomo - by four percentage points - as the person who Paterson "should" pick.

Almost half of those surveyed expect that Kennedy will be appointed. The expectations and desire figures are similar to a poll released last week, but the question of her qualifications is new. It echoes a line of criticism that has been circulating since Kennedy officially floated her candidacy last week.

It is not a good sign if poll numbers are going down before an unqualified person is even appointed.

If Patterson is smart he will just sit on this for a couple of more weeks.

and if Caroline has any decency she will pull out and say she prefers to do charity work.

Another associate of Mr. Paterson’s said he understood the situation differently. “No one around David has been impressed with her performance, and the governor has taken note of how much opposition has developed,” said this person, who has discussed the vacancy with the governor.

Again, though, the second person cautioned that the governor has not indicated whom he would choose and has done nothing to suggest he had ruled out Ms. Kennedy.

“He’s playing it real close to the vest.”

Questions from reporters about the appointment overtook Mr. Paterson’s efforts to enjoy a relaxed New Year’s Day at the Executive Mansion. The governor and his wife, Michelle Paige Paterson, opened the house to the public on Thursday for the first time since Mr. Paterson became governor.

A line of several hundred people filed through the first floor of the mansion for about two hours as Mr. and Mrs. Paterson greeted each one and posed for pictures.

“Bring ’em on!” boomed the governor as the visitors, who were selected from a lottery of more than 1,700 names, made their way inside from the frigid weather outside.

At one point, a family from Delmar, N.Y., approached the governor and introduced their 7-year-old daughter, Caroline Spore. Upon hearing the little girl’s name, Mr. Paterson shouted, “Oh! Caroline is here, everybody!”

As heads turned, the governor added, “She’s 7. And she’s ready to go to the Senate.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/02/nyregion/02albany.html

I heard something about Bill Clinton as a replacement on the news. Don't Senators have interns too?

NY Governor May Be Leaning Toward Kennedy

Sources Close to Paterson Say Kennedy is the Governor's Choice for Clinton's Senate Seat
ALBANY, N.Y.

Jan. 2, 2009

Officials say the daughter of the late President John F. Kennedy will be the governor's choice to fill the New York Senate seat being vacated by Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Two people close to Gov. David Paterson tell The Associated Press they believe Caroline Kennedy will be his choice, but the governor cautions he's still looking.

The New York Times reports that during a New Year's Day open house at the executive mansion, Paterson said "It ain't nothin' till I calls it." The quote recalls a statement once made by legendary baseball umpire Bill Klem.

Meantime, despite early reservations, New York state's most powerful legislative leader tells the New York Post he'll support Kennedy. State Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver says he'll work for her election.

Paterson has sole authority to name a replacement for the next two years. Under state law, there would be an election to fill the last two years in 2010.

Copyright © 2009 ABC News Internet Ventures

Both Bill Clinton and Cuomo Sr. have been suggested as 2 yr place holders for an open 2010 election.
I believe this would be best. That way Caroline could earn her way to the nomination through a primary election.

Re-reading this thread, i'd say 6 or 7 supported the idea, from full support to mild-lukewarm, qualified support.

Does anyone still think Caroline should be appointed?

New poll sez Caroline Kennedy is unsweetened

BY KENNETH LOVETT and ELIZABETH BENJAMIN
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Monday, January 5th 2009, 11:40 PM

Warga/News
Caroline Kennedy

The survey by North Carolina-based Public Policy Polling (PPP) found 44% of New York voters have a lesser opinion of Kennedy than they did before she started vying for the seat a month ago.

A third said her Senate bid has not changed their opinion, and 23% say they think more of her.

The poll also found that New Yorkers, 58% to 27%, would prefer that Gov. Paterson appoint Attorney General Andrew Cuomo to the Senate seat over Kennedy.

Among Democrats, Cuomo was the favored candidate of 54%, compared with 34% who backed Kennedy, daughter of slain President John F. Kennedy.

That's a big turnaround from a month ago, when a PPP poll showed Kennedy the favored candidate of 44% of New York Democrats, with Cuomo at 23%.

"Her reputation has taken a pretty clear hit over the last month, and if Gov. Paterson does end up appointing her, she's going to have some work to do to overcome this bad first impression she's made on New York voters," said PPP President Dean Debnam.

New poll sez Caroline Kennedy is unsweetened

I wasn't one of the people who was for appointing her (lukewarm or otherwise) so my opinion really hasn't changed. I didn't know enough about her when this news first broke and I still have little idea as to what she's about.

I don't believe she'll get the appointment, though. But, it will be an interesting 2010 primary...

I think I did include you as a lukewarm

next time I'll do a better job taking your temperature.

Last edited:
Kennedy Could Pose a 2010 Risk for Democrats: Poll
By MICHAEL CLANCY

updated 4:45 p.m. PT, Wed., Jan. 7, 2009

Another day, another bad poll for Caroline.

Rep. Peter King, the Long Island Republican who is seriously considering a run at Hillary Clinton's seat, would give Caroline Kennedy serious trouble in a hypothetical 2010 match-up, according to a new poll.

Kennedy, the political neophyte who's the frontrunner to replace Clinton, would barely eke out a Democratic win against King in a hypothetical contest, while New York State Attorney General Andrew Cuomo would trounce the combative King, the poll found. Kennedy would edge King 46 percent to 44 percent in a head-to-head match-up, according to Public Policy Polling. Cuomo, meanwhile, would cruise to an easy victory in 2010, beating King 48 to 29 percent, according to PPP.

"2010 is a long ways off but if Governor Paterson is looking at initial electability when deciding who to appoint, Andrew Cuomo should be the pick," said Dean Debnam, president of Public Policy Polling. "He's much more formidable than Caroline Kennedy at this point."

It was the second bad poll in as many days for Kennedy. A PPP poll released the day before found that Cuomo had stronger support than Kennedy among New York state Democrats, 58 percent to 27 percent respectively.

She really should withdraw, and make life easier for Patterson.

I've been missing Sarah

politico.com

Palin: Media goes easy on Kennedy
Andy Barr Thu Jan 8, 11:32 am ET

Gov. Sarah Palin (R-Alaska) believes Caroline Kennedy is getting softer press treatment in her pursuit of the New York Senate seat than Palin did as the GOP vice presidential nominee because of Kennedy’s social class.

“I’ve been interested to see how Caroline Kennedy will be handled and if she will be handled with kid gloves or if she will be under such a microscope,” Palin told conservative filmmaker John Ziegler during an interview Monday for his upcoming documentary film, “How Obama Got Elected.” Excerpts from the interview were posted on YouTube Wednesday evening.

“It’s going to be interesting to see how that plays out and I think that as we watch that we will perhaps be able to prove that there is a class issue here also that was such a factor in the scrutiny of my candidacy versus, say, the scrutiny of what her candidacy may be.”

Palin said she remains subject to unfair press coverage of her and her family.

“Is it political? Is it sexism?” she asked. “What is it that drives someone to believe the worst and perpetuate the worst in terms of gossip and lies?”

She observed that Katie Couric and Tina Fey have been “capitalizing on” and “exploiting” her.

“I did see that Tina Fey was named entertainer of the year and Katie Couric’s ratings have risen,” she said. “And I know that a lot of people are capitalizing on, oh I don’t know, perhaps some exploiting that was done via me, my family, my administration. That’s a little bit perplexing, but it also says a great deal about our society.”

The Alaska governor said that when she sees some of the coverage of her daughter Bristol especially “the momma grizzly rises up in me.”

Looking back on the Couric interviews, Palin said she knew things were not going well after their first session and asked the McCain campaign to pull the plug on the remaining sit downs but insisted the campaign made her go through with the rest.

“I knew it didn’t go well the first day, and then we gave her a couple of other segments after that. And my question to the campaign was, after it didn’t go well the first day, why were we going to go back for more?” she said. “Because of however it works in that upper echelon of power brokering in the media and with spokespersons, it was told to me that, yeah, we are going to go back for more. And going back for more was not a wise decision either.”

Palin criticized Couric for the way CBS “spliced it together,” saying that “so many of the topics brought up were not portrayed as accurately as they could have, should have, been.”

She also expressed frustration with Couric’s characterization of her since the interviews. After being shown a clip of Couric complaining to David Letterman that no post-election interviewer has asked Palin why she would not tell the CBS anchor what newspapers she reads, the Alaska governor responded: “Because, Katie, you’re not the center of everybody’s universe.” :eek:

I have been thinking this for quite some time now.

CAROLINE THE 'CERTAIN' PICK FOR DAVE: RIVALS

By FREDRIC U. DICKER

January 19, 2009 --

DESPITE claims that he's still undecided, Gov. Paterson is "certain" to pick Caroline Kennedy to replace Hillary Rodham Clinton in the US Senate, several unhappy contenders for the job have told friends and associates in recent days.

The contenders based their conclusion on the view that Paterson, after nearly two months of indecision, would "greatly embarrass" and "entirely humiliate" Kennedy, anger her prominent political family and even offend President-elect Barack Obama by picking someone other than President John F. Kennedy's daughter.

As for the governor's claim to be weighing a last-minute finalist, the contenders agree with a close Paterson friend who said, "It's clear David is just trying to play mind games with the press."

This is a test of character for Caroline

and she seems to be failing.

Christmas came early for deep:

Caroline Kennedy has withdrawn from consideration for the vacant Senate seat in New York, according to a person told of her decision.

On Wednesday she called Gov. David A. Paterson, who will choose a successor to Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton. Her concerns about Senator Edward M. Kennedy’s deteriorating health (he was hospitalized after suffering a seizure during President Obama’s inaugural lunch on Tuesday ) prompted her decision to withdraw, this person said. Coping with her uncle’s condition was her most important priority, a situation not conducive to starting a high profile public job.

Ms. Kennedy believed that the job was hers if she would accept it, the person said. A spokeswoman for Mr. Paterson had no immediate comment.

This is not a present for me

if anything it is a present for Obama

and I really think his people pulled the plug on her

Person close to Kennedy decision: She's in race
Jan 22 12:53 AM US/Eastern
By MICHAEL GORMLEY
Associated Press Writer
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) - After wavering briefly, Caroline Kennedy renewed her determination Wednesday to win appointment to the U.S. Senate seat once held by her slain uncle, Bobby Kennedy, a person close to the decision said.

After her surviving uncle, Sen. Edward Kennedy, suffered a seizure on Inauguration Day, Caroline Kennedy had misgivings about taking on the new job, the person said, speaking to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorized to speak for Kennedy. Earlier in the day, The New York Times and New York Post reported that Kennedy had ended her monthlong bid to succeed Hillary Rodham Clinton, who was confirmed as secretary of state .

She's out

She's back in?

She's out. :huh:

What a walking diasaster :no:

this is a huge embarrassment for Caroline and her dimwitted team

she should have pulled out last week when I advised it.

(I did sent them this advice through emissaries)

Now she has egg all over her face.

What is it with these Kenedys
do they think a Senate seat is theirs as a birthright?

Yet Another Kennedy To Enter National Politics

05/19/09

There's word that Christopher Kennedy, son of Robert F. and nephew of JFK, will run for Senate from Illinois.

Everything I am hearing on Tuesday points to Chris Kennedy getting into the Illinois 2010 Senate race. As of Tuesday afternoon, the plan calls for him to be announcing sometime probably next week. Long time Kennedy family friend Jay Doherty is being tapped to head up the fund-raising effort.

Kennedy, 45, would enter the race for Roland Burris' seat, formerly held by Barack Obama.

This would be Kennedy's first run for office, though he's been active in a number of campaigns including President Obama's run for the White House.

Caroline thought she deserved Hillary's seat.

This guy wants Obama's seat. Why? oh yeah, they endoresed him. :up:

If this guy gets the nomination, the GOP will probably pick up Obama's senate seat.

Back
Top Bottom