Security guard puts choke hold on deaf man

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maude

The Fly
VIDEO: Forever 21 Security Puts Choke Hold On Deaf Customer - The Consumerist

I don't know the whole story on this yet, but even if the man did steal something from the store, is the guard in any way justified for nearly choking him to death, handicapped or not?

If you were one of the bystanders, what would you have done? My feeling while I was watching the video, is that I would have jumped on that guard and started kicking the crap out of him (and I'm a 5'1" female), but in real life I'm not sure.

My question is what actions each party took before the video starting rolling. Assuming the guy in question & his friend didn't run from the store (which, in itself isn't proof of any illegal activity), then did the guard approach them calmly before the deaf shopper became confrontational or did the guard call to these guys, get no response & then bull rush them? Either way, that video is an excellent training tool - for how not to handle a possible shoplifting occurrence. :down: :|

local news story, said they are deaf brothers, the one guy already confessed to shop-lifting

what are they supposed to do, let shop lifters go when they make a fuss?

theft is a crime, thiefs should be apprehended and prosecuted.

when I walk out of a store and the alarm goes off, I stop and show the security my reciept, because I paid for the items. I don't resist and try and get away or have my brother grab the bag with stolen items in them.

local news story, said they are deaf brothers, the one guy already confessed to shop-lifting

what are they supposed to do, let shop lifters go when they make a fuss?

theft is a crime, thiefs should be apprehended and prosecuted.

when I walk out of a store and the alarm goes off, I stop and show the security my reciept, because I paid for the items. I don't resist and try and get away or have my brother grab the bag with stolen items in them.

Wow, deep, you're on a real law and order kick of late!

Not that there's anything wrong with that. :wink: I basically agree with everything you've said. Just a little surprised by the strident tone. . .you're usually a little more laid back.

I got to witness a rent-a-cop take down a shoplifter once. He was running out of the store, and the guard did an awesome flying tackle on him and then knelt on his neck while he radioed for back-up. It seemed pretty brutal, but maybe the guy had a weapon. I don't know.

Anyway, we really need to have faith in those people who are there to protect us. Property crimes are the most minor of offenses in my book, but the police and security guards seem to delight in pursuing them and using full force. So, the guards and police need to earn our trust day to day. I don't know if this incident helped.

I used to work for a local college's campus security and can tell you first hand that there are reasons some cannot make it to "the field", or on to a police squad.

I worked with a guy who was hoping to become a cop. He used to drive around the campus looking for anything to "bust". Here are some examples of what he would do. He'd pull someone over for running a stop sign (even pausing) and ask for their license and registration. We could do nothing with that information...
He would walk around at night and use his personal mag light to look for beer bottles...or even bottle tops. One night, he even lifted up someone's cover on the back of a pickup truck and found a beer bottle. Any time he found something related to alcohol, he would call the individual and say things like, "What are you thinking? Are you an alcoholic???" Keep in mind, this is a midnight to 8 am shift.

Probably a bigger reason why he cannot find a job is because of his personality and people skills. He simply cannot communicate in a way that isn't negative or degrading.

I assure you he does not have a job in any police department. However, he won't "stoop to the level of a mall cop." His words...

I know there are many good law enforcers in malls or other public places. However, there are some pretty shitty ones as well. The word powertripping comes to mind. I can't help but think some of these examples are excessive uses of force.

Wow, deep, you're on a real law and order kick of late!

Not that there's anything wrong with that. :wink: I basically agree with everything you've said. Just a little surprised by the strident tone. . .you're usually a little more laid back.

sorry for coming across so strident, posting late at night, tired, I may have been a bit cranky

the youtube clip looks and sounds terrible, being that he is deaf, arouses sympathies.

But, there was a story on my local news channel, and the guy did shop lift and if you watch the first couple of minutes, it looks like his brother is trying to grab the bag of goods and make off.

All they had to do was provide their receipts, I have been asked to do that more than once.

Back
Top Bottom