Sd.418

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some guy : "I believe the bible is the inspired and inerrant word of God."
Me : "Have you read it?"
Some guy : "Nah."
Me : :|

I was watching some comedian last night and his take on the bible. He compared the accepting of Bible by many Christians to accepting a Microsoft user license agreement when installing software, and just scrolling all the way to the bottom and clicking "accept," without reading any of it. How very apt!

I was watching some comedian last night and his take on the bible. He compared the accepting of Bible by many Christians to accepting a Microsoft user license agreement when installing software, and just scrolling all the way to the bottom and clicking "accept," without reading any of it. How very apt!

Hallelujah!

There are so many contradictions and unanswered questions in the Bible leaving plenty of room for interpretation, critical thinking and filling in the blanks.

People have stopped buying the Kool Aid. But it doesn't mean they aren't thirsty.

Iron Horse, what I personally appreciate about your Sunday Dispatches is that there is no commentary. Usually they do a good job of capturing the current and common vibe prevalent in most of the threads and provide an opportunity to silently meditate on the basic Christian'ness' underlying all our bickering and heated debates.

What sort of validation are you looking for?

Edit: whoops....I'll go to the other thread....

Who here read the Bible? In it's entirety?

:raises hand:

some parts are an interesting read

and some parts are only (IMltHO) only read by people that want to say I read it all. :hmm:

and that probably is a good idea for people that choose a vocation in theology.

I've read it...actually if anyone knows of a New Testament edition, preferably interlinear, with particularly good historical annotations I'd appreciate a recommendation. All I have now, and I'm not even sure where it is at this point, is a dog-eared old Catholic study bible from my two years at a Catholic high school. For what it is, it actually has decent annotations on the Hebrew portions (lots of historical and archeological context, consistently points out where multiple source texts have been redacted, similarities to other Ancient Near Eastern accounts etc.), but then once you get to the New Testament portions, the annotations are suddenly all dutiful stuff like "And this is to fulfill the prophecy found in..." etc. etc.

I had that experience enough to stop reading books I "should". Life is way too short.

and some parts are only (IMltHO) only read by people that want to say I read it all. :hmm:

QUOTE]

I'd admit there is some of that, but mainly, it's just what I do. :) I'm usually reading from three diffent sections of the Bible at any given time and I read them in different ways. One segment is usually a fairly basic stand alone read (right now I've been working back through the OT and am in Levitcus), another, I read as a devotional and write in my journal along with the reading (reading 2 Peter right now), and the last I've been reading as a companion to a series of books by one of the founders of my church. For this, I'm currently reading Acts. Which of the three I do, depends on my mood and the amount of time I have in the morning.

I'm probably more wonky than most when it comes to the Bible.

And yeah, there are some pretty dry sections that's for sure. 1 and 2 Chronicles and Numbers come to mind right off hand.

I grew up fundamentalist-lite so was steeped in the Bible from childhood. I liked the stories. I liked the language. I thought the knowledge was invaluable to me when I became an English major and I could trace the influences on literature both in the metaphors and symbolism and in the attempt of many works to answer the questions posed. I see it as a highly culturally influential work for the humanities and the arts (certainly not the only one) and I respect it for that even after I no longer believed.
I have less respect for other ways it has been used.

Back
Top Bottom